UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/4/2001 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
A few weeks ago here in my post office box shows an invite for husband #1 to get a CapOne card. Gold! So I take it over to his house, knowing full well this is a mistake. I have him sign the application and I send it in after filling in the information.

My stepson got married 3 weeks ago and the card had arrived and I called and authorized it. Before my husband left the house, I gave him the card and said: "You only have 300 dollars on this.. Don't burn it up!"

I might as well have gone outside and talked to the annoying cat. So he returns and tells me he used the money for the hotel. Fine. I think I could have done better if I had some notice and got a better rate.. but it's his card.

Today I go to the box. In the 3 weeks he tells me he has missed a payment to A T & T. He has a HUGE payment due AMEX mid month. Here is CapOne, a letter from my mutual funds, some ads for food and CHASE.

With his name on it. So shaking my head, and making a mental note to charge this man for using my post office box, I open up the Chase offer. They have an offer- 2.9% I saw for Balance Transfers.

Then the CapOne... 342 dollars in 3 weeks. 75 dollars for Chili's Grille. I wonder if he had a date. 174 dollars for a hotel room for 2 nights. I hope he had a date!!

So I called him and said I had his bill. I will bring it to him tomorrow when I go pick up my son and drop off some tomato plants.

Now my dilemma. Chase offered him a Platinum card- 2.9% for 9 months.

Should I tell him-- or will it just make it worse?

Disclosure- I have given him in excess of 1000 dollars in the last few weeks to pay off the cards. Hmmm... And no don't ask for money.. I'm broke!

wdg :)
next hubby will be rich.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FixitWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74462 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/4/2001 7:00 PM
Recommendations: 5
A few weeks ago here in my post office box shows an invite for husband #1 to get a CapOne card. Gold! So I take it over to his house, knowing full well this is a mistake. I have him sign the application and I send it in after filling in the information.Now my dilemma. Chase offered him a Platinum card- 2.9% for 9 months.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!

Wdg: Are you serious? You're gut instinct is already telling you the answer.

Kim

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74474 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/4/2001 7:32 PM
The ONLY reason I would even consider taking him the application is I know he has some high rates 23++ and some BIG balances. If he would be good and not burn it up.. then a 2.9% BT would help him.

But...He has a BAD track history with credit.

Hmm.. But on a brighter note, the horrible man I live with just left here smelling all nice. Maybe he has a date :) :).

house to herself.. woo woo.

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74493 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/4/2001 9:25 PM
Recommendations: 4
Wildgirl, Pardon my ignorance if I'm missing something but why on earth are you giving hubby #1 money and credit cards? Especially with his lousey track record. How come you are stuck footing his bills? I'm confused. My ex husband wouldn't get a dime from me, I'd just let him pay his bills on his own.

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74498 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/4/2001 9:45 PM
Sad to say.. I have never divorced him. So that means if I EVER get another mortgage, or insurance or possibly a new car he will figure in.

Aha! Plus I own a property with him. And he has a big house that he shares and the kids are in the big house. So we have the guilt factor.

And to compound the agony, I got him some of the cards. And he knew, knew, knew NOT to burn up AMEX and I'm afraid that horse is out of the barn and heading down the trail.

Isn't there a Foolish fish (sturgeon?) that silly people get slapped with? Tony M. can answer that, I'm sure. And trust me that you are not the FIRST one who has asked that question. It drives Mom & Sister Wild crazy!

Now the latest in the saga will be this wedding. I watched the children for 3 days. I bought food, gave him $$ and bought cleaning stuff and cleaned up. They all went out and lived the high life. I stayed with the kids and ate frozen dinners. This man no sooner had the money to go to that wedding than WorstNightmare is welcome on this board. But.. I imagine he thought I would bail him out again.

I will go to Hell before I pay for plane tickets for him and my stepdaughter. The teller has pulled down the curtains and the bank is closed. I told him I would take care of the kids if he went to work, but we would have to come up with a plan. Otherwise, I have to work a lot this summer. And I am moving out of here- more expense.

I give AMEX till the end of the month to shut down the charge. And I share that card.. darn it!

wdg :(
will miss her AMEX..

Author: TMFDawn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74499 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/4/2001 9:54 PM
Recommendations: 6
wildgirl,

Sad to say.. I have never divorced him. So that means if I EVER get another mortgage, or insurance or possibly a new car he will figure in.

Aha! Plus I own a property with him. And he has a big house that he shares and the kids are in the big house. So we have the guilt factor.

And to compound the agony, I got him some of the cards. And he knew, knew, knew NOT to burn up AMEX and I'm afraid that horse is out of the barn and heading down the trail.

Head thee over to the Divorce board (we have boards here for everything.

Speaker's Corner / Divorce -- all about it
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=113715

Even if you are not ready to start the divorce process, you can start the formal separation process to protect yourself from his debt. There is a great list of resources in the Divorce FAQ.

TMF Dawn

Author: Allisonh2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74504 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/4/2001 10:42 PM
Recommendations: 2
Wildgirl, I understand your situation better now, but I have to agree with TMFDawn. If you at least get a separation - then you wouldn't be responsible for his bills and this will save you money. Money you don't have to fork out for his irresponsible ways with credit. I know divorce is expensive (been there, done that!!) but the sooner you get rid of the "excessive baggage" the sooner you can move on with your own life and get that much closer to being debt free. I shudder to think how far in debt I'd be now if I still had my ex hubby around and had to foot his bills. I have credit card debt about 6K but that's my due to my own stupidity and I'm working very hard to get rid of them to be debt free in 2003. If I still had Gary around bills would be 10 times worse than that!! JMHO! Allison in Iowa

Author: FixitWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74523 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/5/2001 6:31 AM
Recommendations: 3

I told him I would take care of the kids if he went to work, but we would have to come up with a plan.

Maybe this would be a good time to pull out the ole credit cards so you can charge the divorce. Since it appears the continuation of the marriage is costing you more than the finance charges would.

:op

Kim

Author: aja91 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74552 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/5/2001 9:42 AM
A few weeks ago here in my post office box shows an invite for husband #1 to get a CapOne card. Gold! So I take it over to his house, knowing full well this is a mistake. I have him sign the application and I send it in after filling in the information.Now my dilemma. Chase offered him a Platinum card- 2.9% for 9 months.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!

Wdg: Are you serious? You're gut instinct is already telling you the answer.

Kim

Just to post an opposite opinion... :-)

Wdg: it's pretty obvious the ex has no self-control when it comes to plastic. That said, the low rate on the balance transfer is something it would be smart for him to take advantage of. IF he doesn't turn around and run up charges on that card and the now free-and-clear other cards.

Now, I have no idea how involved you want to get in this situation, or if this will work, but it would be REALLY nice financially for him if the following could happen...

(1) Transfer all other balances to this low rate card.
(2) Have the limit on this card capped to the amount just transferred. ;-)
(3) Have all of the other cards be cancelled and shredded.

It would get his debts on one low-rate card and take away the ability to run up more debt. . .very Foolish of him!

Now, I have no idea if he gets CC offers at his primary residence, but I'm sure after such a scenario that there wouldn't be any more offers showing up for him for around 8 months, when it's time to do the whole thing again on the latest teaser rate card that just magically showed up...

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74716 of 308519
Subject: Re: Capital One vs Husband #1. Date: 6/5/2001 5:15 PM
I was hoping he would behave with the cards. He hasn't been too bad yet or he didn't fill me in. I have to go back away to work for the next few days, but I wanted to catch him and see how deep he is in trouble. I could send the application with our son tomorrow in his backpack, and hope for the best! Now this is assuming that Chase will be able to allow him anything. I'm sure he is quite high on the cards.

I also know he has cards I don't even know anything about, like Providian (gasp!). The only one I am tied up with him on is the AMEX.

He has a little over a week to come up with the money. I don't see it happening. And I don't have it. I don't get paid till the 21st.

And I won't pay it. I have enough to pay for my own kids.

Will be leaving home without AMEX soon.:(

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement