Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ArejayBiker Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121479  
Subject: Capitol Loss - House Destroyed Date: 3/28/2001 5:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Reading the Schedule D instructions, I believe the loss of a personal asset (a mobile home) is NOT deductible. Is this correct?

My friend purchased a mobile home several years ago, due to domestic abuse she had to abandon the mobile, and it was later destroyed (rendered worthless) by the abusive spouse. I thought this might be treated as a disposition of the asset, and a deduction taken against income, but the way I read it, this is not true. Can someone verify this?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jgiglio Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49191 of 121479
Subject: Re: Capitol Loss - House Destroyed Date: 3/28/2001 6:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
and it was later destroyed (rendered worthless) by the abusive spouse.

Slightly off the topic, but this is an intentional tort, and you can sue him civilly for the damages. It isn't hard to sue someone in small claims court, and that should be able to get you a couple thousand in damages.

You should see a lawyer, as I am not one.

Author: ArejayBiker Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49229 of 121479
Subject: Re: Capitol Loss - House Destroyed Date: 3/29/2001 8:29 AM
Because the abuse got to a life-threatening situation, she has avoided pursuing any action against the guy, for fear of drawing attention. I agree with you that there should be legal actions possible but I can see why she wants to keep a low profile, a lot of fear remains.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement