Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GravityProof One star, 50 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8109  
Subject: CAPS Praise and Suggestion Date: 12/8/2006 10:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
on Manucastle's (Thanks M!) suggestion of a better location, I present this post from the Buffett Small Cap Investing Board. :
>>
Manucastle, I heartily agree with your CAPS sentiments.

Gardner lads: Job well done! It's one of the most enjoyable things about my Motley Fool membership.

As someone who's currently doing well with my portfolio and pretty well with my CAPS, I'm anxious for CAPS (and my portfolio) to answer a question that lurks in my brain: Am I actually becoming a good investor, or does a rising tide lift my boat, too ? If I have my current CAPS ranking in 5 years, I'll be delighted and hugely surprised.

I'm also delighted with the ability to check out investors who I respect highly and see what they're thinking. For example: manucastle (sorry to pick on you in public, sir) hasn't done too well with Encore Wire in CAPS. But I found Encore Wire on a screen and loved it after I ran some numbers. Then checking it in CAPS, I find he liked it $12/share ago and hasn't ended his pick. Knowing his methodology from the boards, and doing my own due diligence, I'm liking it, and have a vote in WIRE's favor from a very smart guy. Then 172 Outperforms with 51 All-star outperforms...While I only make decisions based on my DD, being in good company does make me a bit more comfy. Maybe that makes me sheepy. If so, "baa! baa!"

One thing, oh Gods of CAPS, that I would love to see--and now I'm going to hunt for the right message board to drop this on: currently, I'm playing caps with real money. (Except for LLL.) I'd love the ability to have test portfolios that don't count toward the score so that I could try more ideas out. Like--I'd love to have a biotech or nanotech non-scoring portfolio so that I could just play, in the non-ranking, noncompetitive sense of play, as in: to play in a sandbox. Er...stockbox. I'd also love to see a "One of your favorite players just ended this stock" feature. I'd also love a test board where I could stick every one of those stock-pumping emails I get. ("The only pure p1ay for used hamburgers on the ma*rk3t!") Like Google Finance portfolios. You only get one portfolio that scores, and that's real forever. But you can have as many sandboxes as you want--they just don't count in your ranking. In fact, it's probably less than two days development work.

As for Scott's charge that CAPS is a popularity contest: that's trivially true. Absolutely. Recall the Sage: (paraphrased): Short-term, markets are voting machines. Long-term, markets are weighing machines. I think in the long-term, CAPS is the most efficient way to weigh investors short of looking at their bank accounts. And it's certainly the best way to find opinions of people I _know_ I can respect.

Warmly,
Pascal
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement