Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ginger1236 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: captial gains Date: 7/19/2005 11:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The background info....
I bought a house in LA in 1999. I moved to TX in 2001. I owner financed the house in LA at that time. The person that "bought" the house in LA didn't make payments in a timely fashion and I recently repo'ed it and re-sold it.

If I use the money from the sale of the LA house to pay for the house I am currently in, do I still pay capital gains?

Thanks,
Ginger
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 80085 of 121585
Subject: Re: captial gains Date: 7/19/2005 11:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
The background info....
I bought a house in LA in 1999. I moved to TX in 2001. I owner financed the house in LA at that time. The person that "bought" the house in LA didn't make payments in a timely fashion and I recently repo'ed it and re-sold it.

If I use the money from the sale of the LA house to pay for the house I am currently in, do I still pay capital gains?

Absolutely. The only way to avoid capital gains is to have owned and lived in the house as a principal residence for at least 2 of the last 5 years. Since you sold the house for the first time in 2001, you haven't owned it for 2 of 5 years. And if you moved to TX in 2001, you haven't used it as a principal residence.

That said, calculating your capital gains will be more complicated than usual. You should have been reporting some of the gain as you received payments from the first buyer. You might want to seek some professional help for this year's tax return.

Ira

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement