Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121599  
Subject: Capturing a prior year business deduction Date: 1/25/2001 5:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I had a $1,400 business expense that I paid out of pocket in Dec. 99. I was not reimbursed for it until Jan. 2000. Using the tips on this site, I had a lot of business expenses I took in 1999 to get over the 2% ceiling. I don't have enough this year to come close.

I was all ready to add $1,400 to income, on my 2000 return, as reimbursements from employer for business expenses deducted in a prior year. However, TurboTax is telling me I shouldn't do this unless the amount is more than my 2% AGI cut off for 1999. This expense alone was not more than my 2% AGI cut off in 1999 or this year.

Can anyone make sense of this? Do I not report the reimbursement?

Not trying to avoid taxes, just trying to pay only what I should ;-)


A Fool and his money are soon partying
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.