UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17936  
Subject: car hit by a horse Date: 11/3/2012 10:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Freak accident happened today. I was at a party at the barn where my friend works, with lots of other people and their horses. Her horse spooked (she wasn't on him) and he ran full speed into the front of my parked car. He hit the right front fender went onto the windshield and hood and then sort of slid down the hood before running off into the pasture. He didn't break any bones, thank goodness, but they think, from the xrays, he chipped his shoulder. He's under observation at the vet's.

I have GEICO. My car is a 2000 Honda that is/was in very good shape both exterior and mechanically. I have a $500 deductible. I think all the damage is superficial. I moved it a few feet so they could back in the trailer for him to go to the vet, so I know that it drives with no scraping or clanging. Despite both front fenders and the hood being smashed in, the engine sounded fine and there was no obvious leaking, noises, etc. I left it there to be towed Monday to a body shop, as the windshield was shattered so I did not want to try to drive it on the road, it would be at least 15 miles to nearest body shop in town.

My friend's mom offered to pay for my deductible. They probably don't have the money, though. I don't know if the stable's insurance would cover this or my friend's professional liability insurance (I'm assuming she has this as she is an instructor). I don't know what questions to ask. I do not want to make things more difficult for them, as their horse is seriously hurt and my car is just a thing, but I also cannot easily afford this either. I'm just hoping the car isn't totaled due to it's age.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance
JK
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17686 of 17936
Subject: Re: car hit by a horse Date: 11/3/2012 11:54 PM
Your friends need to place a claim with their insurer - If you turn in a claim under your insurance, your insurer will subrogate against them or their insurer. Do not accept their offer of reimbursing you for your $500 Deductible amount (I would not mention it, if/as they are your friends) - They will still be held responsible for the entire cost of repairs - They shouldn't have offered it - Doing so only serves to acknowledge responsibility, and, perhaps, makes them personally responsible for, at least, the amount that they offered, if not the entire cost of repairs, under your insurer's subrogation rights, whether or not their insurer pays, by way of their being found legally liable - Really stupid (ignorant) thing to offer!!

Many insurers cover damage caused by an animal under Comprehensive (OTC) coverage, rather than Collision coverage - Is your Comprehensive (OTC - Other Than Collision) Deductible $500?

Bob

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17687 of 17936
Subject: Re: car hit by a horse Date: 11/4/2012 12:24 AM
Recommendations: 1
Bob
Yes, my deductible is 500.00, and the agent told me this accident was covered and that my rental car will be covered for a reasonable period. I will be in contact with my friends later this weekend or Monday. I should tell them to contact their personal insurance? Or the stable owner's insurance? Or say nothing except that my insurance company is taking care of it? I really don't want this to mess up our friendship. Luckily, the horse is ok, has a small fracture and will just need some rest and a few stitches.
JK

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17688 of 17936
Subject: Re: car hit by a horse Date: 11/11/2012 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 1
Well, they are treating it as a no fault incident. That means I am still out the $500 for my car being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am going to talk to my friends about some sort of compensation to offset the deductible. Their horse seems to be out of the woods and should be ok, but is still at the vet under observation until later this week when he will be released if he continues to improve.

Good news is that despite the insurance co. trying to repeatedly to have me agree to let them tow my car to their salvage yard (and telling me it was totaled before anyone ever looked at it) I had it towed at their expense to my body shop where the adjuster agreed it was on the line of being totaled but he signed off on it getting repaired.

He said since I had spoken to him about wanting it repaired if it was structurally safe, that I have been a customer for 17 years, and that he could see that I kept the car in excellent condition, *and* because I had been very nice on the phone, he was calling it as being repairable. Pays to be nice. They are also paying for a rental until it is repaired.
JK

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17689 of 17936
Subject: Re: car hit by a horse Date: 11/12/2012 4:26 AM
Well, they are treating it as a no fault incident.

No news there - It's a Comprehensive/OTC claim, throughout the vast majority of the Industry.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement