Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: utahtea Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86575  
Subject: Car Insurance Update :) Date: 5/26/1999 11:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I thought I would update those who posted back on my post #2468 about my son's car that was hit by a tow truck on May 3. As of yesterday he has a replacement car and it probably would have been finished sooner but my son had to be out of town for a week.

His car was so borderline the insurance co. gave him the choice of fixing it or having it totaled. One reason my son did not want to have it fixed was there was an important part that could not be replaced, it could only be fixed. The second reason was he didn't want to drive the wimpey rental car for a month while his was being fixed.

What he chose to do was take the check from the insurance co. to have it repaired, then sold the car to the place that gave him the estimate and ended up with a couple hundred more than if he just took the totaled amount.

The insurance company was pretty fair in the amount they were going to give if it had been totaled and they would add the sales tax. In our area that's 8 1/4%.

He received his check's yesterday and also found a used Z-28, same year, same color. When he drove up you couldn't tell it wasn't the same car. Good part is that it is the 6 speed he has always wanted and the dealer put on new tires. He was going to have to buy new tires on his old car soon so that was another $600.00 savings. Only down side is that it has 8,000 miles more than his old car. After he puts on all the goodies his old car had he will still have pocked over $1,000.00. So this story has a happy ending. :)

Utahtea
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Heads Up, Real Estate Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement