Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: taxlearner Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6774  
Subject: car seat and tall infant Date: 4/3/2007 9:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a 10 month old who was 31" tall and 24 lb at her last visit to the Dr one month ago. Her current seat, the Graco Safe seat, is ok until 32" tall and 30 lb. Well, now she's pushing the 32 inches. Does anyone know if a convertable seat, like the Alpha-Omega by Costco, will accept a child 32 inches or longer in the rear facing position? I know it goes to 35 lb, but I can't find any height limitation on the website? I also keep reading about how it is so much safer to leave a child rear facing as long as possible, until 3-4 years old. I don't see how we are going to do that. Thanks, Mommy of one tall baby girl =>)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6655 of 6774
Subject: Re: car seat and tall infant Date: 4/3/2007 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yeah, um, good luck with that. ;)

My kid was a lot like yours. I discussed it with her doctor and with the firemen at the local station.

The overwhelming consensus was: time for a regular car seat. It is dangerous to exceed the limits of the seat and the only rear-facing seat that I could find that would've fit her at 10+ months only gave another inch, for another $200 or something ridiculous.

I'm interested to know where you have seen that rear-facing until 3-4 is the best. What I was told was that after a certain age, rear-facing is dangerous due to the risk of broken hips. I've also never seen a rear-facing seat for kids that big!

- T.

Author: taxlearner Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6656 of 6774
Subject: Re: car seat and tall infant Date: 4/5/2007 11:52 AM
I wish I could remember exactly where I read about the rear facing til older. I think I was on About.com - the article was talking about the dangers of the baby's head being thrown forward and how the Europeans are keeping them rear facing for much longer. Her doctor also said longer rear-facing is better. I, of course, want to do the best thing for her, but she places her feet firmly on the back of the auto's seat above her hips. I'm going to call the local precient, I don't want to get in a situation where I have her facing forward because I have no choice, but still get fined anyway.

Author: TMFCQuader One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6754 of 6774
Subject: Re: car seat and tall infant Date: 3/30/2009 12:26 PM
Hello,
I have the same problem with my infant/toddler. Any convertable carseat will work for you, but I went all out and got the Britax Marathon carseat which goes all the way up to 65 ibs.
You can easily find this on amazon.com
I hope this helps
TMFCQuader

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement