Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mys Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86555  
Subject: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 9:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, I drove into work this morning. In my car. So far it's running.

I had heard nothing from the repair shop or from AAA by about 1:30 yesterday afternoon, so I called the dealership. Got voicemail.

Called AAA. Got voicemail.

Waited till about 2:30 and called back the dealership. Got voicemail again so pushed the button for the receptionist and explained to her that I had not had my car for two days and really needed to know what its status was. She took a message and said she'd go find the service manager.

Then I called AAA again (about 3 PM) and got the nice lady who was handling this. She promised to call the dealership to find out what was up with the car and lo and behold! I got a phone call at 3:10. Car is ready to be picked up. No charge. What was wrong? Well, the receptionist didn't know (they had her call me to tell me the car was done).

SO went over to pick up the car, said nobody seemed to know where it was or anything about it -- the cashier had no paperwork on it and he said she seemed to feel really bad that she didn't know so she took him back to the repair shop. He found the guy who was "in charge" of my car and the guy said they had replaced wires. (Wires???) Anyway, both this guy and an older guy, SO said, told him that this was "a tough one" and that the work is guaranteed for 12 months.

Hey, since you guys were just discussing this, the receipt for the work done (the one that shows a balance due of $0.00) says on the back in the fine print that all work is guaranteed for 12 months if GM parts are used. Now since my car is NOT a GM car, does that mean that I get the default warranty (90 days) or do I get what the service manager (we think it was him) said -- 12 months? (Of course I am calling the dealership later today to ask the service manager just that question.)

Anyway, I have wheels again. We'll see how long they last this time. Thanks for all the moral support and suggestions, guys.

And, Tony, if you hadn't started this board so we could all see how everybody deals with these various bumps in the road of life, I don't know that I would have been quite so organized in approaching it this time. Thanks!

mys
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3579 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 11:08 AM
mys

Thanks for the car update. Have my fingers crossed that solves your car problems. You know how hard it it is to type with crossed fingers.

~~paul

Author: mys Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3580 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 11:21 AM
>>You know
how hard it it is to type with crossed fingers.>>

<g> Even harder than it is to drive with crossed fingers! Thanks for the moral support!

BTW, the lady from AAA said ALL repair work done under their aegis is guaranteed for 12 months (she called me this morning). She's sending me a bunch of stuff -- from a list of other approved repair shops to the consumer's benefits of having work done at a AAA shop and, she said, "a bunch of other stuff". This should be enlightening. She also mentioned that the fact that the work is guaranteed for 12 months should have been posted; I told her I'd spent 1 1/2 hours in their waiting room just two weeks ago and hadn't seen anything about it, and she was NOT happy about that.

mys (glad I was able to drive today because it's raining)

Author: DanShep Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3582 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 12:35 PM
mys (glad I was able to drive today because it's raining)

Not in Washington State (for a change). Sunny and 80 degrees. Last day off in my week of vacation. The only thing that would make it better is if Microsoft slipped down to 81.

Disney Dan

Author: TMFRacer Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3583 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 12:43 PM
Hey, since you guys were just discussing this, the receipt for the work done (the one that shows a balance due of $0.00) says on the back in the fine print
that all work is guaranteed for 12 months if GM parts are used. Now since my car is NOT a GM car, does that mean that I get the default warranty (90 days)
or do I get what the service manager (we think it was him) said -- 12 months? (Of course I am calling the dealership later today to ask the service manager
just that question.)

mys,
If all they did was replace the wires (aprk plug wires I'm assuming) than they may very well have used GM (AC-Delco) parts. Wires are often interchangable between most manufacturers. So I would argue that you are entitled to the full warranty.

Frankie Fool

Author: mys Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3585 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 3:17 PM
>>If all they did was replace the wires (aprk plug wires I'm assuming) than they may very well
have used GM (AC-Delco) parts. Wires are often interchangable between most manufacturers.
So I would argue that you are entitled to the full warranty.>>

Cool, but they should have already replaced the spark plug wires during the *extensive* tuneup they did at the same time they did the fuel pump job (shouldn't they?). If it were some kind of wires associated with the fuel pump itself (which is in the gas tank, and which I am told is not all that common), it might be some Mopar-specific wires. But the main thing I'm concerned with is the fuel pump itself (the expensive part of the repair), which, since the car is a Plymouth, probably wouldn't be GM. Or am I talking through my hat here?

Gee, it's so nice to have someone to ask about these things! :)

mys (who understands a lot of other things MUCH better than cars. . . .)

Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3586 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 3:51 PM
<<Cool, but they should have already replaced the spark plug wires during the *extensive* tuneup they did at the same time they did the fuel pump job (shouldn't they?). If it were some kind of wires associated with the fuel pump itself (which is in the gas tank, and which I am told is not all that common), it might be some Mopar-specific wires. But the main thing I'm concerned with is the fuel pump itself (the expensive part of the repair), which, since the car is a Plymouth, probably wouldn't be GM. Or am I talking through my hat here?>>

There are several questions in this one paragraph I will try to catch them all. Spark Plug wires are NOT typicly replaced when you do a tune up. On one of my cars I replaced the plug wires becaused I suspected they were bad. I replaced them again later because one of them was burned through. I found the bad wire while doing a tune up. Since you refered to the new fuel pump not making noise in an earlier post there was probably a lose connector going to the fuel pump that they replaced. These connectors should be considered shop supplies like thread at a dress makers shop. Fuel pumps: often there is two fuel pumps. One in the fuel tank that "never" wears out and a high pressure (45PSI?) pump some where between the tank and the engine (in the case of my Volvo it was under the car in about the middle). It is any ones guess who the manufacturer is for the fuel pumps. In the case of my Volvo it used Bosch fuel pumps, the high pressure one cost $250 from a local auto parts store.

~~paul

Author: mys Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3587 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 4:10 PM
>>There are several questions in this one paragraph I will try to catch them all. >>

Thanks for the info! He gave me a list of all the things they did on the tuneup but offhand I don't remember whether the wires were part of it; this was a very extensive tuneup, though -- not the $29.95 special. Filters, plugs, lots of stuff. I'll have to look and see if they were included in the original job. It makes sense that it would be wires/connectors going to the fuel pump. And when you put it that way (<<These connectors should be considered shop supplies like thread at a
dress makers shop.>>) it does make sense that these could be generic/GM.

I forget what the price for the fuel pump itself was; I'll have to look it up on the original invoice but I do remember it was fairly expensive. (So was the labor <groan>.) My fuel pump (the one in the gas tank) was obviously not of the "never wears out" type.

mys

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3592 of 86555
Subject: Re: Car Update Date: 9/10/1999 5:50 PM
And, Tony, if you hadn't started this board so we could all see how everybody deals with these various bumps in the road of life, I don't know that I would have been quite so organized in approaching it this time. Thanks!

Hi mys!

What a nice thing to say! Thanks!

Actually, while this board has blossomed into a very friendly social board (I love the posts here!), my intention for this board was exactly that--to be a true "fight back" board for those who felt taken advantage of, and for those who could use a hand in dealing with consumer problems.

I really enjoy it when these situations come up. Well, actually, I don't enjoy the situations the folks have to deal personally deal with, I enjoy the solutions. : )

I'm deee-lighted that things seem to be working out with the car for you. You certainly deserve that with all the aggravation you've had.

One thing that I think I would do differently though if I were you...

That 12 month guarantee is terrific. But I wouldn't point out what it says on the back (by the way, even though it's not a GM dealership, they may have indeed used GM parts), nor ask if the 12 month guarantee applies to you, as opposed to the 90 days. Instead, I'd go back to the service department and speak to the fellow who told you it was guaranteed for 12 months. Tell him you were so happy that he told you that, and so glad this has been taken care of....and ask him to please "write on your receipt and sign his name that the repairs are guaranteed for 12 months."

This shouldn't be a problem for him, right? Afterall, he just told you that info recently. Go make him put it in writing, mys! : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement