Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 441334  
Subject: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/12/2012 12:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
A couple years ago, there was a variation on an old card trick floating around the internets. If you haven't seen it, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2i2lwW4RbE

The card trick part starts at 1:30. Read the bottom of this post for the explanation. Once you know how it works, it's just a matter of what story you decided to attach to the deck.

Tonight on the Facebooks, I just saw the sappiest, Jesusy variation yet. Imagine if Thomas Kinkade got ahold of it and packaged it up for sale at Walmart in the Bible Belt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGPKpIuX3cY

I gotta hand it to him . . . he packaged it up for sale to the dumbest, lowest common denominator and it's probably going to make him some money. He even overdubbed some sappy music on it. I bet the boys in Bob's Country Bunker were crying in their beer when they saw this.

Spoiler: It's a prepared deck in a certain order. He pretends to cut the deck with 'false cuts', but he never changes the order except rotating it in a circular fashion.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414579 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/12/2012 9:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Discussion of card trick spoiler:

What about the three audience members that cut the cards? And I notice that he repeatedly cuts the deck in his left hand while he deals with the right.

By the way, I figured out the audience IQ trick at the beginning of the video.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414582 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/12/2012 10:42 AM
Recommendations: 1

What about the three audience members that cut the cards? And I notice that he repeatedly cuts the deck in his left hand while he deals with the right.

He creases the corner of the bottom card with his right thumb at 2:02, so that no matter where the spectator cuts it, he can later restore the order by finding the crease within the deck, and putting the cards below it back on top. After creasing the card, he does a fake riffle shuffle in which he appears to slide two piles of cards into each other, but in fact he simply pulls one pile all the way through the other, leaving them in the pre-shuffled order. At 2:07 you'll see him rotate the two piles so he can keep them separate without actually pushing them together. The order of cards never changes, except in a way that he can quickly restore it. After the three spectator cuts, he restores the deck at 2:40 (he says 'UM' at the crucial moment).

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414594 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/12/2012 12:30 PM

m

He creases the corner of the bottom card with his right thumb at 2:02, so that no matter where the spectator cuts

you saw that? cool!

there was a nother video that explained the trick and mentioned it

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414613 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/12/2012 4:05 PM
He creases the corner of the bottom card with his right thumb at 2:02, so that no matter where the spectator cuts

you saw that? cool!

I think it was actually the top card, though. Same difference.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414617 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/12/2012 4:17 PM

not really - if it's the top card, it's gone once he starts
the story; bottom card is there throughout

Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414622 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/12/2012 5:44 PM
feedmeNOWhuman:

<<<What about the three audience members that cut the cards? And I notice that he repeatedly cuts the deck in his left hand while he deals with the right.>>>

"He creases the corner of the bottom card with his right thumb at 2:02, so that no matter where the spectator cuts it, he can later restore the order by finding the crease within the deck, and putting the cards below it back on top. After creasing the card, he does a fake riffle shuffle in which he appears to slide two piles of cards into each other, but in fact he simply pulls one pile all the way through the other, leaving them in the pre-shuffled order. At 2:07 you'll see him rotate the two piles so he can keep them separate without actually pushing them together. The order of cards never changes, except in a way that he can quickly restore it. After the three spectator cuts, he restores the deck at 2:40 (he says 'UM' at the crucial moment)."

I have not watched the trick but that is why a three part cut is better than a two part cut. One bent corner would not be sufficient.

Regards, JAFO

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414663 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/13/2012 10:49 AM

Yeah, but the order never changes once he starts. I think he used the crease at 2:40 and then never again.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414684 of 441334
Subject: Re: Card trick goes Jesus Date: 12/13/2012 2:55 PM

Yeah, but the order never changes once he starts. I think he used the crease at 2:40 and then never again.

of course the trick depends on the order never changing
he might make the crease at 2:40, but he uses it every time
he lets one of the audience cut ( to "uncut" )

if he creases the bottom card, it's in his hand till the end
if he creases the top, once he starts the spiel it's on the table
and he can't let audience cut

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement