UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stymie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 83  
Subject: CAREER QUESTION Date: 5/20/1999 11:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I am a dinosaur looking for skill expansion.

Is certification worth it? I have a lot of mainframe skills (COBOL, IDMS, FORTRAN (ancient history)).

Would certification in Oracle or a Microsoft Certification help?

I am looking to expand into the client side. I have Office 2000 beta at home and have attended the TechNet Quarterly briefings. I was more interested in getting the beta than the actual presentation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The mainframe is alive and well but it doesn't hurt to diversify either.

BTW my contract ends on the 28th, hence the reason for this post.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: PietrzakFool Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 83
Subject: Re: CAREER QUESTION Date: 5/20/1999 1:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
If you can stand hearing the opinions of a guy just a few years out of college --

Perhaps you could specify a bit more as to what you're interested in? Right now, Microsoft Certification is a good step in many directions, but doesn't serve to distinguish any given worker from the undifferentiated mass of other MCSEs out there today. Oracle certification would be better, but only if you're really interested in hacking databases; which, if you're interested in "expanding into the client side", I suppose wouldn't be a great fit. :)

The nice thing about the tech employment market today is that the demand still seems to be outstripping supply. IMHO, you should concentrate on what interests you most, and push to find work involving that. (Good advice in any situation, I suppose, but easier to get away with in the computer field.)

Good Luck!

John

Author: exmsftfool Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 83
Subject: Re: CAREER QUESTION Date: 5/20/1999 2:01 PM
Is certification worth it? I have a lot of mainframe skills (COBOL, IDMS, FORTRAN (ancient history)).

Make hay while the sun shines and do Y2K work. Such an opportunity only comes along once a millenium.

Diversify later, after your massive Y2K earnings provide you with a comfortable cushion to retrain yourself.

Author: stymie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 83
Subject: Re: CAREER QUESTION Date: 5/21/1999 9:54 AM
John I like solving puzzles (sometimes you have to analyze a lot of stuff with applications), so the Oracle route will probably be a better fit. I have been playing with Beta applications from MSFT, specifically MSN 2.0 & 2.5 and possibly O2K.

The reason I posted is because Y2K is just about finished here in the Peach State or at least where I live. Since I have the choice right now I thought if I could get some skill diversification perhaps in a permanent job I might have to take one step backwards in terms of $ versus long term marketability (ORACLE experience, DB2, CICS or client stuff like PowerBuilder, Sybase and possibly UNIX (sorry Bill)).

I will let you know how it goes.

I am waiting on some feed back from somem contacts I made at a recent job fair and through networking with previous coworkers and friends for job leads.

Author: ngr2 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 34 of 83
Subject: Re: CAREER QUESTION Date: 7/7/1999 2:38 PM
Recommendations: 1
What, no Unix?

Get yourself some O'Reilly books and get BSD or Linux on a partition on your PC. Unix pays better than Microsoft, and you get more respect.

Of course, MSCE jobs are easier to find, but then, so are jobs flipping burgers for minimum wage.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement