Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
careta said << Hi Fools. I am a new colleage and this is my first message. Would any of you provide some info os a company alled MEGANET??? >>

Hi Careta. And welcome to the Fool! New colleague? Sounds so... classy!

I can't say I've ever heard of Meganet. They appear to be a privately held company. I did a search on the name and came up with a couple of references that led me back to their web site.

They seem like a rather feisty company. As you probably saw, last fall they posted on the internet a $1 million challenge to Microsoft, Netscape, IBM and others to break their encryption. In one of the press releases they claim to have been "contacted" by a couple of biggies, but there is really no detail. They also say, "Yes, the VME 98 is the same product that challenged Microsoft, IBM, AT&T, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Intel, America Online, Netscape, etc. to break a VME encrypted file. All the great computer minds in this country have had an opportunity to dispel the bold claims of unbreakable encryption, yet none have."

Off hand it seems like they are trying to generate publicity and name recognition. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone does it. But, I dunno, it didn't create a great impression. And I'd have to leave it to minds far greater than mine to judge the actual claims of their encryption product.

This Computer Software folder was probably the best one to post your question to. But since Meganet is not publicly traded, if you're interested in more opinion you might want to try asking in the folders of companies like Symantec (SYMC) or Network Associates (formerly McAfee Associates) (NETA) where there is some product overlap. Just type the tickers in the Stock Folder Express box at the top of this page.

By the way, you've come to the right place if you are just staring out investing. Have you checked out the Fool's School area of our web site? There's a ton of information there for those just starting out, and others, too. A link to the Fool's School can be found on our Home Page, but you can also get there directly at
http://www.fool.com\/School/School.htm

Of particular interest in the Fool's School are 'The Thirteen Steps to Foolish Investing' and 'How To Value Stocks.' Both of those areas have links from the main Fool's School page. Do check it out. I think you'll find of value.

Also, the Quote, Snapshot, Chart, and Financials links at the top of most message folder pages will get you to a lot of good stuff, and will also lead to additional links. Plus, the Search link will let you search the entire Fool web site for references to the stock whose folder you are in. Or you can do a more advanced search at the main Search page, at http://www.fool.com/Search/Search.htm.

I hope this was of some help. Thanks for posting. And again, welcome to the Fool, Fool! :-)

Nico

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement