Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 51
I work for a large corporation. And at times Corporate America makes me very very angry. But this week I had an object lesson: a reminder that any organization of whatever size is made up of people and that in some cases people within an organization can be wonderful.

I know a woman from my knitting group: older woman, knits and crochets beautifully. Is never making something for herself. She's knitting for premies, for co-workers who are pregnant, for the homeless... I'll call her Maria.

Maria was diagnosed with breast cancer, and it was more advanced than one likes, but still treatable. With some trepidation, she mentioned it to her boss, and asked her boss to explain what was going on to the rest of the department.

Here is where things go from bad to wonderful. Her boss didn't just tell Maria's co-workers about the problem. No. She called a meeting to go over what was going to happen, how hard it was going to be for Maria, who has only one sister, who works, and what they could do to help her out and keep her spirits up.

And they put the plan into action. Before each chemo session Marai received a small gift to help her through. She was always able to get a ride if her sister could not get time off. Her desk was moved to next to her boss, where she was monitored after the chemo. If she seemed to be flagging she got a ride home (usually it was toward mid after noon and she was told not to worry about it, she'd done her full time). One of the women provided her with a new chemo cap every time, and a bunch of the men got together and got her a wig that looked so good you didn't realize it wasn't her own hair.

During each and every session, they were in touch with whoever was with her, to make sure it was going well. Her co-worker's spotted an allergic reaction to the drugs before Maria or her doctors did, and were able to help address the problem and keep Maria's various levels where they needed to be so that she could have the next round.

Wednesday was her last Chemo treatment. They threw a party on Friday to celebrate the end of the first phase of her treatment. She starts Radiation in 2 weeks (she did so well through the chemo phase that they think she'll rebound well enough to start early - so she can go on that vacation she planned before the diagnisis having left her treatment behind and with more than a month to recover).

Corporate America has its problems, but as I said, an organization is made up of its individual members, and perhaps should be judged by the quality of the people it attracks. People like Maria and her Co-workers.

Fluff
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement