Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

ROBBDOE is correct about setting up contact with the IRS. Check around. About now there are free centers the IRS or local tax groups set up to review taxes with you - but they won't do the taxes for you.

If you set up payments, you should know that IRS will add late payment and interest charges which will accrue along with the unpaid balance, but that's all. Have a payment amount in mind to pay it off in 10 months or less. A year won't be a problem, but it'll be better on your peace of mind if you can resolve it faster.

IRS is a huge organization, so don't assume that all your finanical information is in front of the person you're talking to. Have the financial info you think you will need readily available. If you can get through on the phone, (and as you get closer to April 15, this will become very difficult), ask lots of your questions to the IRS person. Ask for a supervisor if things get heated. Stay calm.

Don't reveal any more information than necessary, i.e., your employer's address, the location and numbers of your bank accounts, etc. Simply decline to provide it, and focus on the amount of the payment you can afford based upon the income you put on your tax form. Otherwise, if things get worse, and hopefully they won't, you could be looking at a drained checking accout.

If you are treated badly or talk to a surley IRS agent, write your Congressman/woman and tell him/her how you were treated. They will always respond on your behalf. The best way is to write a letter to the Congressperson which they will be forward with a cover letter to somone at IRS with authority to make some sort of a decision. In your letter, don't mince words. Get righteously angry. Name names of the IRS pepole you talked to. I was very successful in having the IRS remove penalty and interest payments when I provided postmarked envelopes from the IRS showing they had my correct address, had continued to mail infomration to my old address in another state, and I had the names of people I talked to and the times I contacted the IRS requesting correction. And, I saved lots of time by just forwarding to my Congresswoman. So, save everything you get from them, if it looks like there's trouble a-brewin'. And, always, always, get a clear identification name or number of anyone you speak.

You could always spend another $250.00 and get a local tax professional to make a call. They speak the lingo, you don't. And, as ROBBDOE said, your latest computations might still be wrong, so they might find something to your benefit. But I wouldn't recomend doing that in the situation you have described.

Your problem won't put you up there with Capone or Ol' Wille Nelson, so relax. This won't hardly be as bad as it looks right now.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.