Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Carol--
I was unaware that SS was like that and I know my mom wasn't aware of it either. Thank you for bringing up that point! And yes, my mom will still receive some of my dad's pension regardless of what happens.

Gurdison--
You are exactly right about the people wanting to "help" my mom that made sure they got helped first. It's a darn shame that stuff like that happens, and it REALLY burns me up. I wish I was more knowledgable when she needed help with this, but I just only recently started to get Foolish myself. My mom has generously opened up her finances to me to let me help her and I hope I can do her some good, even at this late stage.

Yes, LAFFX is NOT a good fund pick and I really want her to roll it over to a Vanguard IRA. She can do that even though she's already taking minimum distributions, right?

I am also extremely upset that they sold her that American Express bond fund and I AM surprised she doesn't have an annuity too! Thank God for small favors, eh? It's a horrible horrible fund for her to be in & that's the first thing that's getting the axe.

I have discussed with her the selling of some of her stocks and the reasons why, and I have shared your responses with her thus far, and she is really liking all of this. In fact, she is kind of tickled with whole Motley Fool message boards, as am I! She has had no one to help her with her investments until now (and neither did I). This whole web site just rocks! Anyway, I would really like her to sell the stocks gradually to minimize the tax/LTCG issues (BTW she pays no income tax, she is just under the maximum you can make w/o paying) and to dollar-cost-average as much as possible. I will definitely have to visit the tax strategies board for this as I am not well-versed in individual stocks' tax consequences.

I will also have to investigate the REITs you are talking about since you both put that in your response. I am not too familiar with them either, but I am a quick study...just point me in the right direction!
=) Also, what % of REITs should be in a portfolio? I have seen it relatively low (15% or so) in the many posts I have come across. Is this common to have so low or is that about right?

So I am thinking the final assest allocation should be close to 60% bond (index) fund, 25% stock (index) fund and 15% REIT fund.

Thank you so much for your well thought out responses so far. They are MUCH appreciated. Any comments, suggestions and/or questions are most welcome. Thank you again!

MzAeroLvr
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement