No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm in a carpool with people who live and work near me. I drive about one week out of three, sometimes more (details below). Without carpooling, I'd spend about $30/month to get to work; this would not kill my budget. I'm thinking of stopping carpooling though, and wanted to see what people think.

Benefits
I have to drive less
I save on gas and insurance
I feel good about doing the "green" thing by putting however many less pounds of pollution in the air.

Inconveniences
One member usually has a few things each time her week comes, so she doesn't always put in a full week (though she makes up much of that)
I can't stop for things on my way home, like picking up dry cleaning or etc., and these things necessitate an extra trip
I can't do things on the way to work, like check in at daughter's school
I'm kind of trapped at work

What I can't bloody well stand--
The personalities of my carpool people are driving me nuts.
Person One
This person is a "help-rejecting complainer" type. She typically gets in the car and no matter what the conversation may be begins to complain about something in her life. If suggestions are offered, she rejects them soundly while still complaining. Additionally, she will offer topics like this: "My husband is buying a new car today...he's resigning his job tomorrow, too...fed up with it there!" It will turn out he has no other job prospect, so how they'll pay for the car is somewhat a mystery. Other topics include, "I'm getting a great deal on a free computer from PeoplePC!" Other passengers: "But, PeoplePC announced they will probably file bankruptcy." Her: "Nah, I talked to a guy on our street who is a wiz with computers and he says PeoplePC gives you a great computer."
Person Two
This person has ideas about how things should be and expresses her disdain at anyone who doesn't live the way she does. Specifically, she disapproves of my old car. She will be "unable" to open a door that my kid and I open with no problem, then will repeatedly interrupt the help-rejecter to comment that it's sure hard to open the doors on such an old car, am I not afraid for my safety in a car with such hard-to-open doors, etc. This usually distracts the help rejecter into a discussion of great car-getting scams as described above and the rest of the ride is spent pointing out nice cars on the road. My car is old but not unsightly, I keep it clean inside, and the paint is in good condition. It's also safe and runs well; in fact, I'm the only one who has not had to cancel because my car was in the shop!

I am sure they think I'm that stingy b***h with the crappy car, and except for that chewed area on my hand where I keep biting myself on the way to work, none of this is too detrimental, but I'm seriously thinking of stopping the carpool, waiting a few months, then enrolling with the county carpool people to get different car mates. I did this before, but was recruited by these two before my list from the county came. As it is now, whenever one of them says they can't drive, I say, "Oh, okay, well...I have something to do also, so I'll just drive myself."

As the Clash sang, "Should I stay or should I go?" When is a LBYM tactic not worth the aggravation? Opinions?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
One of the supposed "perks" of carpooling is that your stress level should go down b/c you're not always driving/sitting in traffic.

This does not seem to be the case for you.

My advice: Drop out of the carpool (or find a friendlier one).
You might spend a little more on gas, but when i last checked, blood pressure medicine wasn't cheap :)

mary

No. of Recommendations: 3
"Should I stay or should I go?"

Go. Definitely. Life is too short to put up with that kind of nonsense.
No. of Recommendations: 1
GO! Since you already said you plan to join a new carpool in a couple of months, the small span of time when you are driving by yourself (and paying a little more) is worth the relief of not being around people you absolutely can't stand.
No. of Recommendations: 0
PeoplePC is a pretty good deal, though. Even better if your company subsidizes some of the cost. You get a new computer for less than what you pay for an online service -- plus you get the online service.
Does anyone have a link to information about their finances? They're still adding services and so forth.
>>>>>> As the Clash sang, "Should I stay or should I go?" When is a LBYM tactic not worth the aggravation? Opinions? <<<<<<<

Best to go. You don't need their problems your problem. There are probably many other car pools out there.

Best to You.
>>Go. Definitely. Life is too short to put up with that kind of nonsense.<<

Heh. I forgot to say that the one rider talks and sounds exactly like the people in "Fargo," so the entire ride is punctuated with "Hoo-boys," "Okie-dokies," and "Aw, brother I tell yas." The other rider plays religious tape. No, that's not a typo...it's one tape left in the player that plays over and over and over and over...

God. I wish I were making this up! When I wrote my original, I read it and thought, "I already know the answer!" But, I wanted to know what people think...how much should we sacrifice to save money?
>>PeoplePC...Does anyone have a link to information about their finances? They're still adding services and so forth.<<

I did see something this week about them not doing very well. Maybe it was in the WSJ. I was trying to change actual details of conversations and that popped into my mind since I'd read about it lately.
Get a portable cd player and headphones and enjoy the music. Hopefully, they'll catch on and do the same.
As the Clash sang, "Should I stay or should I go?" When is a LBYM tactic not worth the aggravation?

Let's work through this LBYM thing carefully:

Living...

Is there any need to continue?
<<Heh. I forgot to say that the one rider talks and sounds exactly like the people in "Fargo," so the entire ride is punctuated with "Hoo-boys," "Okie-dokies," and "Aw, brother I tell yas." The other rider plays religious tape. No, that's not a typo...it's one tape left in the player that plays over and over and over and over...>>

I think you should leave the carpool. Then you should buy a tape recorder so that while you drive on your own, you can start dictating a novel or screenplay about your crazy former carpool-mates. Maybe it will be a bestseller or blockbuster (with those characters it might) and then you can recoup the expenses of driving on your own.

Howdy melmaque

If you are uncomfortable with the situation and you will be able to modify your trransportation arrangement in the future, why not? Go! But don't burn your bridges thoroughly, just say that your life is changing and you need to be more flexible blah blah blah and blow them off diplomatically.

My 2 cents, Jakester
Well you could go and try to find another carpool in which all of the participants are ok to ride with. Or you could approach this carpool with a different attitude. Take their annoying personalities as a joke, that it's amusing to listen to them. You'll get your entertainment for free every day.
Christine
Sorry I'm late to the party on this, but consider:

We're talking time value of money. You didn't give your commute time, but I'll estimate at 30 minutes each way. So basically, you're giving 20+ hours of your month to people you don't like for a savings of $30. If you were buying an appliance, would you drive 20 hours out of your way to save $30? If you would, buy earplugs and keep the carpool. If not, enjoy your car all by yourself.

Benevolent
>Get a portable cd player and headphones and enjoy the music. Hopefully, they'll catch on and do the same.

But please, not while you're behind the wheel!
Advertisement