Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you have short-term capital losses in excess of your gains and the $3,000 of ordinary income it offsets, you carry the remaining losses forward. In the next year, those short-term losses will cancel out any short-term gains first, then be applied against long-term gains, then to another $3,000 of ordinary income. Right?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.