Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121477  
Subject: Carrying cap losses forward Date: 8/4/2009 4:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If you have short-term capital losses in excess of your gains and the $3,000 of ordinary income it offsets, you carry the remaining losses forward. In the next year, those short-term losses will cancel out any short-term gains first, then be applied against long-term gains, then to another $3,000 of ordinary income. Right?

--fleg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106665 of 121477
Subject: Re: Carrying cap losses forward Date: 8/4/2009 6:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
If you have short-term capital losses in excess of your gains and the $3,000 of ordinary income it offsets, you carry the remaining losses forward. In the next year, those short-term losses will cancel out any short-term gains first, then be applied against long-term gains, then to another $3,000 of ordinary income. Right?

Correct.

Ira

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106667 of 121477
Subject: Re: Carrying cap losses forward Date: 8/4/2009 6:40 PM
Correct.

Thanks. You'd think I would know this cold since I've done my own Schedule D's for decades and worked a season for H&R Block. But I worked in a poor part of town and didn't see a single Sched D all season. And I've never had any losses to carry forward until 2008.

--fleg

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement