Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19224  
Subject: cars and retirement Date: 8/1/2012 8:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Any of you retired couples living with one car? How is that working for you?

My husband is planning to retire next spring. I'm updating my retirement planning and thinking that when his 02 Prius kicks the bucket, we can manage on one car. I'm thinking with a bit of flexibility and the occasional rental, we can manage on a single car, even in the burbs.

Other than our annual big RV trip (yeah, we also have an RV, but store it across town), we put less than 6,000 miles apiece on our cars and fill 'em up on average once every 5-6 weeks. Guess it would be twice as often with one car--pretty good still.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17765 of 19224
Subject: Re: cars and retirement Date: 8/1/2012 9:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Certainly people can live with one car - I did that for several years just after leaving school. Will you have to make some adjustments - probably.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17767 of 19224
Subject: Re: cars and retirement Date: 8/1/2012 12:19 PM
Recommendations: 1
Between our separate volunteer activities, meeting up with separate friends, shopping and various other appointments -- and the complete lack of public transport -- we need two cars.

--fleg

Author: dbphd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17768 of 19224
Subject: Re: cars and retirement Date: 8/1/2012 1:07 PM
Recommendations: 2
The RV would seem a better target for cutting than the Prius.

db

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17772 of 19224
Subject: Re: cars and retirement Date: 8/1/2012 9:56 PM
The RV would seem a better target for cutting than the Prius.

heh. I think I'd sooner sell the house than the RV! Also not "cutting" the Prius, just considering not replacing it when it dies. But I get your point.

As for errands/friends/appointments...I just don't think we need to go different places at precisely the same time very often. Especially now that my BFF moved away, I just don't spend half the day at someone else's house any more...and if I did, my husband is happy to stay home to read, work on hobbies or putter around the house. We don't collide appointments either...the hubster tends to make appointments first thing in the morning, while I tend to make them late morning or early afternoon. Not to mention being off RVing towing one car half the year, leaving a second car just sitting at home. I guess we'll just have to see.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17773 of 19224
Subject: Re: cars and retirement Date: 8/2/2012 10:44 AM
Recommendations: 1
<<As for errands/friends/appointments...I just don't think we need to go different places at precisely the same time very often. Especially now that my BFF moved away, I just don't spend half the day at someone else's house any more...and if I did, my husband is happy to stay home to read, work on hobbies or putter around the house. We don't collide appointments either.>>

That sounds like a shrewd move to me.

Vehicles are expensive. Being able to get rid of one or more is a great idea.

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement