UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mdwbc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308692  
Subject: Cash Back Date: 1/19/1999 7:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone know of a credit card (besides Discover) that will give you cash back on purchases? I'm looking for real money not discounts or airline miles.

Thanks
Mike
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JABoa Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6350 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/19/1999 8:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
The Shell card I just got gives me an instant 5% rebate on Shell gas I buy with it, and 1% on "most other purchases". I haven't read the fine print, so I don't know what "most other purchases" means. To get an application form if you are interested, your local Shell station should have one. The bank is Chase Manhattan. It looks like a pretty good deal if you don't carry a balance. If you do, it's only so-so: interest on new purchases is 20%, I think.

Author: pwyles Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6352 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/19/1999 9:17 PM
Waterhouse Securities if you have a brokerage account with them other than IRA. 1% rebate.
~~paul

Author: VlLPastor Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6353 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/19/1999 9:47 PM
JBoa,

There is another interesting wrinkle with the Shell card. When you get the bill, there will be the minimum amount due. But further down in the bill is an amount to pay that will not (or so it says) incure finance charges. The amount to pay is greater than the minimun, but less than paying the thing off. This might be useful for some people who are trying to pay off their cards.

Valerie

Author: zgriner Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6356 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/19/1999 10:48 PM
GE card gives more back than Discover. Be careful, though, they will charge a fee if the card is not used often.

Zev

Author: fool530 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6359 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/20/1999 12:08 AM
AMEX offers upto 1.5%. If you carry a balance, then
upto 2.0%. No annual fee and pretty good service.
You have a choice of regular and platinum.

Ed

Author: MrBigglesworth One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6371 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/20/1999 2:11 PM
Greetings!

In support of fool530's reply, Kiplingers Personal Finance Magazine had a quick thing to say about the AmEx Cash Back card, said it might possibly be the best deal of all (for right now, of course ;-)

As best I can figure, the Cash Back card garners more of a rebate over Discover Private Issue on annual charges up to about $20,000, then after about $36,000 (because of DPI's maximum rebate - annual fee). I've not investigated Discover's new Platinum card.

I use the Platinum Cash Back card almost exclusively; I have a Centura CashMax Visa (.5% < $5000, 1% >= $5000) that I hardly ever (need to) use. I'm considering switching to Waterhouse Securities' Investor's Prime card (1% > $0).

Disclaimer: I work for no company mentioned in this post.

Good luck,
MrBigglesworth

Author: jgarvey One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6373 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/20/1999 4:39 PM
I have a Citi Bank Visa that they offered to change to what they called a Dividend card w/ me inquiring. It offers 1% cashback but only pays out when you reach $100 in rewards. Give them a call and see what they offer.

I use my Discover much more often. The more you spend the more you're cash back w/ a max of 1% (starting at .25%, increasing every $1k).

What I really like about Discover is it online statement. As I see things appear on the statement, i pay them off using my online bill payer. Find it very useful.

Author: SpaceEngineer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6391 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/21/1999 3:39 PM
>> In support of fool530's reply, Kiplingers Personal Finance Magazine had a quick thing to
say about the AmEx Cash Back card, said it might possibly be the best deal of all (for right
now, of course ;-) <<

I keep hearing how great this card is, but doesn't AmEx have an annual fee for all their cards. Give me a 1% cash back card, and I'll put all the purchases I can on it in a year, and if the fee is $25, I've made nothing.

Author: fool530 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6404 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/21/1999 8:08 PM
>I keep hearing how great this card is, but doesn't >AmEx have an annual fee for all their cards. Give
> me a 1% cash back card, and I'll put all the >purchases I can on it in a year, and if the fee is >$25,
> I've made nothing.

This is their credit card, i.e. optima and not the
regular card, so no fee.

Ed.

Author: cybersol One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6405 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/21/1999 9:30 PM

Ok, I am looking into these cash back credit cards as well. The first thing I've noticed is that these deals seem to come and go very quickly. Cards I looked up (these are available nationwide):

1) Discover
No Annual Fee
0.25 $0-1k, 0.50 $1k-2k, 0.75 2k-3k, 1.0 3k+

2) Novus Private Issue
$18 Annual Fee
0.25 $0-1k, 0.50 $1k-2k, 0.75 2k-3k, 1.0 3k-12k,
2.0 12k+
Maximum Rebate $500

3) American Express Cash Back Platinum
No Annual Fee
0.25 $0-2k, 0.50 $2k-5k, 1.5 5k+

4) GE Rewards MasterCard
No Annual Fee (rumored $25 inactivity charge)
0.5 $0-2k, 1.0 $2k-4k, 1.5 4k-6k, 2.0 6k-10k
Maximum Rebate $140

5) BankAmericard Rewards Visa Card
No Annual Fee
0.5 $0-4k, 1.0 $4k-8k, 1.5 $8k-12k, 2.0 $12k-15k
Maximum Rebate $150

Not listed are the Centura CashMax (region limitation) and Waterhouse Investors Prime (requires account). USWest and Chevy Chase no longer offer cards, and First USA is test marketing one.

If you guys know of any other national cash back cards that are still available, please let me know?

cybersol

Author: SpaceEngineer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6409 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 10:06 AM
>> Ok, I am looking into these cash back credit cards as well. The first thing I've noticed is that
these deals seem to come and go very quickly. <<

How do you Fools make your pasted text italicized?

Anyway, I miss my BellSouth Visa. It was a straight 1% CASHback. They recently switched to MC, started one of these ramping-up-percentage reward things (and I seem to recall it was lousy - started at 1/8% I think) and could only be redeemed for phone service. You got a certificate when you got something like $25 of credits. I looked at my spending for the year, and decided that I may not get $25 of credits in a year, so cut it up and sent it back with a nice letter explaining what i thought of their new program.

John

Author: rustedSoul Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6410 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 10:48 AM

Just enclose your text with tags, like:

...enclosed text...

rustedSoul

Author: rustedSoul Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6411 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 10:51 AM

Just enclose your text with tags, like:

Let me try this again. It looks like the board is not literally including my escaped tags:

...enclosed text...

Which was entered as:

< I > ...enclosed text... < /I >

rustedSoul

Author: SpaceEngineer Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6412 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 10:59 AM
Which was entered as:

< I > ...enclosed text... < /I >

Ahhhhh...It'll interpret HTML tags. Okee Dokee. Thanks.

John

Author: tlead1er Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6415 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 12:44 PM
One of the best cash rebates that we've found is the Exxon Master Card. You don't actually get cash but get credit towards your Exxon purchases monthly. Since we have to buy gas anyway, it works for us. You get 1% credit on all purchases and 3% credit on purchases at Exxon and there is no limit on how much you can earn.

Author: RECCLES4 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6417 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 1:17 PM
There are a lot of VISA credit cards from all over that offer cash back from 1 to 4% You can even get them from such places as Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and other retailers. Even some (believe it or not) home based businesses have there own VISA cards that give cash back. Just check around your own town. Im sure you will find at least 2 VISA with cash back.

rec

Author: MFFerdZoo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6422 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 4:36 PM
{Novus Private Issue
$18 Annual Fee
0.25 $0-1k, 0.50 $1k-2k, 0.75 2k-3k, 1.0 3k-12k,
2.0 12k+
Maximum Rebate $500}

FYI, I just got my monthly statement from Private Issue and saw that they had reversed the $18 annual fee they had assessed the previous month on my account. I was feeling very special until I noticed (while surfing their website) that they no longer have an annual fee associated with the account for anyone.

I had a feeling that something like this might be forthcoming when they started the new Discover Platinum card (with no annual fee).

By the way, it was a great card even with the fee, so it's certainly worth holding without it. You'd be surprised how many establishments accept NOVUS cards these days. I've been a Discover Card member since 1986 and it just keeps getting better and better. Especially the free cash back at grocery stores.

Regards,

MFFerdZoo

Author: cybersol One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6425 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 5:37 PM
FYI, I just got my monthly statement from Private Issue and saw that they had reversed the $18
annual fee they had assessed the previous month on my account. I was feeling very special until I
noticed (while surfing their website) that they no longer have an annual fee associated with the
account for anyone.

I had a feeling that something like this might be forthcoming when they started the new Discover
Platinum card (with no annual fee).

By the way, it was a great card even with the fee, so it's certainly worth holding without it. You'd be
surprised how many establishments accept NOVUS cards these days. I've been a Discover Card

I went to www.novusnet.com and it seems to indicate that there is still an $18 fee for the cash back version of Private Issue. I have to admit it is a good card, except I can only put around $5000 in charges on it. With the $18 fee, that makes normal discover (or platinum) a better deal since the PI doesn't overcome the fee until $13,800.

cybersol
member since 1986 and it just keeps getting better and better. Especially the free cash back at
grocery stores.

Author: MFFerdZoo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6428 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 7:30 PM
>I went to www.novusnet.com and it seems to indicate >that there is still an $18 fee for the cash back >version of Private Issue.

Here's the "lifted" text from the www.privateissue.com site concerning the cash-back version of the PI Card. I simply followed the links from the Cashback option icon through to the "more important information" tag. Perhaps the sites aren't fully linked, although that seems unlikely. Come to think of it, the interest rate they quote for purchases below is incorrect as of at least my last statement (14.99% vs.17.99%). Perhaps the links on this site are cross linked somehow or another.

=======================================================
Cashback Bonus® Award Option
Choose the Cashback Bonus® Award and we'll give you money back when you use your Private Issue® Card for purchases. It's our way of thanking you for using your Card. You can earn up to 2% back based on your annual level of purchases subject to a maximum of $500 per Account, paid yearly. You'll also enjoy a competitive APR (Prime Rate + 9.99%).

More important information

More Important Information
The Annual Percentage Rate (APR) for purchases is 14.99%. The APR for cash advances is 19.8%. However, if you miss a payment and do not make this payment by your next payment due date, rates increase, currently to 21.99%, for 6 consecutive billing periods. These rates are as of December 1, 1998 and may vary. The minimum finance charge is $.50. The cash advance transaction fee finance charge is 2.5% of each cash advance, with a minimum of $2 and no maximum. There is no annual fee for the card. See Cardmember Agreement for complete terms.
=======================================================

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6429 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 8:35 PM
I acquired enough miles this week on my AMEX Frequent Flyer card for a free ticket. I logged 9,900 some miles in the air and the rest (15,100) was from my card. I felt stupid for the high annual fee, but I've made it back now. It's a good deal if you travel a lot for business, and run up a lot of business expenses.

George

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6433 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/22/1999 9:56 PM

Hi John!

You've probably already found the answer to this (I'm catching up on the posts), but just in case, all you do is put:

< i > before what you want in italics, and < /i > after it.

***Note: Do not leave the spaces as I did above. I had to do that so as not to put these directions in italics.

And if you replace the letter 'i' with a letter 'b', you'll get bold print. : )

Hope this helps!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: NaggingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6481 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 1/25/1999 2:08 PM
Great list!

You might want to check out this website:
<http://www.flur.com/cards/index.html>

for more information about cash-back cards.

Didn't know about the Waterhouse one!

-Megan

Author: SteveK4 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6650 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 2/2/1999 5:08 PM
<<
>>

Is that American Express or their Optima card?

Steve

Author: SteveK4 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6651 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 2/2/1999 5:22 PM

One of the best cash rebates that we've found is the Exxon Master Card. You
don't actually get cash but get credit towards your Exxon purchases monthly.
Since we have to buy gas anyway, it works for us. You get 1% credit on all
purchases and 3% credit on purchases at Exxon and there is no limit on how much
you can earn.

The problem I have with gas rebate cards is that their brand of gasoline is always more expensive with the rebate than the least expensive gasoline with any other card.

Author: fool530 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6658 of 308692
Subject: Re: Cash Back Date: 2/2/1999 7:45 PM
>
<<
>>

Is that American Express or their Optima card?

Steve
>

It is their optima card.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement