Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Last year when VOD acquired ATI, the new combined stock is worth twice the number of ATI shares, this was a tax-free stock swap. BUT I also got a $9/share (based on ATI shares) "CASH CONSIDERATION" which I received and cashed it. It is NOT a cash in lieu of fractional shares, I am sure of this.
Then I received a 1099-B form listing the CASH CONSIDERATION amount as Gross Proceeds, with an empty 'Date of Sale' box. How do I report this on Sch. D?, Was it a capital distribution?, a cash in lieu? or a non-taxable proceed?. What is my cost basis if it was a capital gain. Please help & thanks a bunch.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.