UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76420  
Subject: Cash or Bonds Date: 1/9/2005 2:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have $20K in a Vanguard IRA which I won't need for at least 18 months. Right now it's in Prime Money Market with current yield of 1.97%. If the Fed keeps raising rates, I expect the yield to rise at about the same pace, though it will lag by a couple months.

I want the money to stay at Vanguard but am considering putting it in a bond fund for better return. I'm wondering whether the higher yields will make up for erosion of principal as the Fed raises short term rates. Any thoughts on the following funds would be helpful.

Vanguard Short Term Investment Grade - yield 3.28%, duration 2.2. Unless I'm missing something the risk to principal seems greater than the yield advantage.

Vanguard GNMA - yield 4.32%, duration 3.2.
Wondering if GNMA would be less sensitive to Fed raises, since mortgage rates have been sticky in the past year. Of course, that could change.

Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities - quoted yield of 1.22% does not include the inflation factor, duration 6.0.
The duration concerns me on this one.

Vanguard High-Yield Corporate - yield 5.80%, duration 3.9.
I mention this only because I already own it. It's 7% of my portfolio. I don't think I'd want to add more than $10K to it.

I've done a lot of comparison on these funds but would appreciate another opinion.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement