Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dbjella One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Cash Strategies Involving Taxes Date: 1/13/2009 7:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
First, kudos to everyone on the fool; you are all a fantastic group of people! I am a sole proprietorship (independent consultant) with one dependent. I am cash basis and the 4th qtr of 2008 provided the most revenue. I grossed 170k in 2008 (I am trying to remain humble and know that I am blessed). I have not fully funded my SEP IRA or my HSA for 2008. My contract ends on 2/15, so I have been saving cash throughout 2008.

Currently, I have about 6 months of cash on hand now and will have an additional month at the end of the contract. I want to keep the most cash on hand to help us during the time I look for another contract. Should I fully fund my SEP IRA and HSA which lowers my tax, but uses up 1/2 my cash or do I just pay the tax (I am assuming I will incur a penalty as well)? I estimate 2009 revenues to be around 90k.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 103599 of 121061
Subject: Re: Cash Strategies Involving Taxes Date: 1/13/2009 7:52 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Should I fully fund my SEP IRA and HSA which lowers my tax, but uses up 1/2 my cash or do I just pay the tax (I am assuming I will incur a penalty as well)?

My advice is highly influenced by my current cash conservation mode coupled with years of trying to collect taxes from the self-employed. I'd hang on to the cash as long as I could, until you have a sure source of income flow.

I'm not sure of the last date that you can contribute to your HSA, but if it's April 15 I'd make that contribution. I know that you can delay SEP contributions until October.

Take a look at annualized income in Pub 505. It may save you something on the ES penalty.

Phil

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement