Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
One thing I like to do is daydream about us moving our retired butts to more exotic locales. One of those places is Australia. If you want to go live there in retirement, they will welcome you with open arms as long as you bring a large infusion of cash. How large? On the order of $400k, which you must invest in the government of the state in which you want to live. It's the Australian equivalent of buying a government bond--you get regular interest payments and you get your money back when it matures.

Which leads to the question, is there any kind of tax on money you take out of the country for such a purchase? I recall somebody mentioning such a thing on this board a while back but I don't remember the circumstances.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.