Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: conrado Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 240  
Subject: Re: What about the Akami Buyout? Date: 4/10/2000 2:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Cashiers,

I agree that Akamai is special in this space. I see as their competition just about everyone that is in the streaming media distribution space including Real Networks, Yahoo (Broadcast.com) and others. However, Akamai seems was recently embraced by one of its competitors (even though Akamai does not have its own player/server system that is proprietary, they are competitors in the sense that Real Broadcast Networks sells their services as a webcast distributor). See following excerpt from news today-

Akamai, RealNetworks Sign Web Media Delivery Pact

Updated 11:17 AM ET April 10, 2000

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (Reuters) - Akamai Technologies Inc.
(AKAM.O), which provides services that speed the delivery of Web pages, said on Monday it signed an agreement with RealNetworks Inc.(RNWK.O) to improve the delivery of audio and video content over the Internet.

Full article at: http://news.excite.com/news/r/000410/11/net-realnetworks-akamai

Another less visible recent acquisition by Akamai is Cupertino-based Network24 which compliments Akamai/Intervu's webcasting capabilities. As I understand it, Network24 brings some proprietary software and services that enhance the ability of companies and others to do their own webcasting.

Anyhow, I think these 2 acquisitions plus today's deal with Real show that Akamai is staking a leading position in the streaming media content distribution biz and I hope that is soon reflected in the stock price of ITVU.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement