Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 5thbeatle Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 240  
Subject: Re: What about the Akami Buyout? Date: 4/10/2000 12:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
cashiers-

I believe you can request a copy of the merger prospectus (dated March 21, 2000) from InterVu's Investor Relations:

Anjeanette Rettig
Director of IR
(858) 623-8400 x134

They call it a "proxy statement/prospectus" and it is 129 pages long, not including the appendices. Hope that helps!

As far as competition goes, they don't specifically state who their competition is (they do list some customers), but this is what I picked up on (pg. 77 under Description of Akamai):

"Competition
The market for Internet content delivery services is new, rapidly evolving and intensely competitive. Akamai expects competition to increase both from existing competitors and new market entrants for various components of its service. Akamai competes primarily on the basis of:

>performance of service, including speed of delivery, quality, reliability, peak crowd protection, and global content delivery capabilities;

>ease of implementation and use of service;

>types of content and applications delivered;

>partnerships to provide complete customer solutions; and

>price.

Akamai competes primarily with companies offering products and services that address Internet performance problems, including companies that provide Internet content delivery services, streaming content delivery services and equipment-based solutions to Internet performance problems, such as load balancers and server switches."

There are a couple more paragraphs that speculate how competition might affect Akamai, but it's standard stuff (product bundling, price competition, etc.) - and I don't have a scanner!

You can probably find more information about specific competitors from the AKAM message board - I don't know enough about them myself, and this is the first merger prospectus I've delved into, so my interpretation is suspect. The entire tone of the document is cautious, as I'm sure they have to be or risk lawsuit, and that has rubbed off on me.

What I would like feedback on, if there are any Foolish lurkers still watching the board, is the stock conversion ratio. In my ignorance, I look at $$$ in ITVU and when I do the conversion, I end up with about the same amount of $$$ afterwards. To me, this doesn't sound like much of a premium, and with the recent volatility, it's possible the conversion could result in less $$$! Meanwhile, hefty bonuses (millions) are paid to key players in arranging the merger. My thought is, hey, what about the shareholders?

My perspective is limited, so any feedback from investors more experienced in mergers would be appreciated.

Thanks!
5thbeatle
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement