Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm 61 years of age and am thinking about withdrawing my entire Traditional IRA account funds at one time. Over time, I have switched this IRA from two different banks to three different Brokerage firms. It is now in one Brokerage account. I've never had more than one IRA account; it has just been transferred to different organizations. The question: Do I have to have records of all the transactions through the years to determine Capital Gains? I'm sure that some of this information will be difficult to come up with, if at all. Or does the IRS merely use a percentage to tax the amount I'm withdrawing? I find all this very confusing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.