Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 258  
Subject: Cast Iron Caldron Date: 6/3/2011 1:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So I have a cauldron that looks like this...
http://bellirosa.com/store/index.php?main_page=popup_image&a...

It's starting to show some rust and I'm thinking it may be time to do something about it. Do you think the process you talked about for the skillets would be good for this?

AC *seeking info*
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Ga1Dawg Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 188 of 258
Subject: Re: Cast Iron Caldron Date: 6/3/2011 3:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Sure, but how big is your caldron?

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 189 of 258
Subject: Re: Cast Iron Caldron Date: 6/3/2011 4:23 PM
Recommendations: 3
It's about 7-8" circumference. I was thinking about cleaning it up to get the rust off. I don't want to treat the inside to much as I burn charcoal/insense etc. in it, but I figure I can clean up the outside.

AC *will oil but not season*

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 190 of 258
Subject: Re: Cast Iron Caldron Date: 6/3/2011 11:49 PM
Recommendations: 1
If the oil doesn't work as well as you like, you might try cleaning it with the oven cleaner, etching the outside surface with a bit of an acid and spraying with an automotive exhaust header paint - tends to withstand temperatures a lot higher than burning charcoal or incense in an open pot: http://www.techlinecoatings.com/Exhaust.htm#blacksatin

- depends on what you want.

When you burn charcoal in the pot, the oil will begin to season on the outside of the pot, whether you want it to or not, and I think it will become tacky to the touch and emit an odor for a while, probably quite a while. Personally, if I were to use oil, I think I'd prefer seasoning it with very light coats of something like Linseed oil wiped off as dry as possible with paper towels and heated at 500 degrees for an hour or so in an outdoor gas grill.

FWIW,

Bob

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 191 of 258
Subject: Re: Cast Iron Caldron Date: 6/6/2011 9:00 AM
Recommendations: 2
I meant diameter.

AC *duh*

Author: AlsoChorizo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 192 of 258
Subject: Re: Cast Iron Caldron Date: 6/6/2011 9:04 AM
Recommendations: 3
I was thinking linseed as well. Thanks for the advice. I'll prolly be using it quite a bit in the next month.

AC *Summer Solstice is coming soon*

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement