Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: Castling question Date: 4/27/2009 2:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Specifically, the rule against castling across check - was just a little unsure about this specific situation.

basic positions:
Black: Q-e4
White: K-e1, P-e2, R-h1

No other pieces matter - assume the board is empty except for the pieces mentioned above. Is this considered castling across check? King isn't in check, wouldn't move into check or cross against a line of the queen. Rook however is threatened by black queen and it would move across the line of the queen.

Is castling in this situation legal?

Thanks!

Jennifer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jpasc One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9185 of 9208
Subject: Re: Castling question Date: 4/27/2009 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Assuming that neither the King nor the Rook has previously moved, castling in that situation is legal since the King is not castling out of, into, or through a check.

Although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the rook moving along the line of the queen. It seems like the rook is just moving out of the queen's attack line.

Author: jfruhbauer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9186 of 9208
Subject: Re: Castling question Date: 4/27/2009 4:02 PM
Recommendations: 0
Although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the rook moving along the line of the queen. It seems like the rook is just moving out of the queen's attack line.

Sorry, I misspoke - thanks for the answer!! (I have my Chess Nuts today after school ;-)

Jennifer

Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9187 of 9208
Subject: Re: Castling question Date: 4/27/2009 4:30 PM
FYI, castling rules are in the board's FAQ as well. I was looking for something that more specifically addressed your question, where say:

White: K-e1, P-e2, R-a1

Now castling goes through the Q's attack on b1. I know this is a legal move to make. What I'm not certain of is whether the Q can then move to b1 and take the rook similar to en passent (spelling??)...

- C -

Author: Patzer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9188 of 9208
Subject: Re: Castling question Date: 4/27/2009 4:52 PM
White: K-e1, P-e2, R-a1

Now castling goes through the Q's attack on b1. I know this is a legal move to make. What I'm not certain of is whether the Q can then move to b1 and take the rook similar to en passent

No. Taking a pawn en passant (French for "in passing") applies only to pawns, and is a historical adjustment to allowing pawns to move 2 squares on their first move.

Suppose a black pawn is on d4. If White moves a pawn from c2 to c4, on the immediately following half move, Black may capture the pawn on c4 en passant by moving the black pawn from d4 to c3, capturing exactly as if the white pawn had advanced only one square. If Black does not do this on the very next half move, the opportunity is lost. Only pawns can be captured en passant, only pawns on the fifth rank can make en passant captures, and en passant captures can only take place immediately after the pawn to be captured has advanced 2 squares.

Patzer

Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9189 of 9208
Subject: Re: Castling question Date: 4/27/2009 7:21 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hey Patzer. Thanks. I did know what en passant is, but good explanation for those that don't. I meant is the Q able to take the R in a similar fashion, where the R moved, and the Q can take it past its move...

- C -

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement