Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Last year I was involved in an accident and totaled my car. The amount paid off by my insurance company was less than the amount I owed to the bank (it was a leased new car). How much, if at all, can I write off as Casualty loss (if I itemize deduction) on my Federal Tax Form? What about a similar move on my KY Tax Form?

Thanks a lot for your answer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.