Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121918  
Subject: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have a 14 yer old indoor tabby cat. I just got back from a week away and she is breathing hard. It seems like she has to work to get the air in and is breathing through her mouth. She also isn't eating as much. My mom watched her while I was away and said her appetite seemed to decrease as the week went on, but her breathing was fine.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? Part of me thinks I should take her to the vet, but I have had two separate $500 vet visits in the past month and a half for which I was convinced my cat was dying only to be told she is fine. I just can't spend another $500 for nothing.

Thanks for any help.

DEG
Print the post Back To Top
Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106112 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
If my cat of any age had those symptoms I'd already be at the emergency clinic. Not knowing your cat's history and what the 2 vet visits were for, hard to say what would be causing this. She's having to work hard to get oxygen throughout her body and to her brain and this could have several causes - heart lungs, fever, respiratory infection, etc. I would really recommend that she be seen ASAP by a vet.
JK

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106115 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 3:15 PM
I would really recommend that she be seen ASAP by a vet.
JK

Me, too.
Beejaywi1

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106116 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 3:26 PM
Recommendations: 0
The other two visits were for a swollen paw with no apparent cause and diarrhea which we think was just a virus. Thank you for your feedback. We're on our way to the emergency vet now.

DEG

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106118 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 6:53 PM
Does anyone have experience with something like this? Part of me thinks I should take her to the vet, but I have had two separate $500 vet visits in the past month and a half for which I was convinced my cat was dying only to be told she is fine. I just can't spend another $500 for nothing.

Yes, I've had experience with something like this. Take her to the vet immediately.

Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106121 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 7:25 PM
1DEG,

I noted that you were taking your poor kitty to the vet. Can you let us know what they had to say? We are concerned for you and your kitty.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

DP

Author: daFlufferNut Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106122 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 7:36 PM
what she said.

Author: nggCatgoyle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106132 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/14/2008 10:22 PM
Hello 1DEG,

Welcome to Pet Lovers. I was glad to read that you were already on your way to the vet with your kitty. Breating hard could be congestion and an upper respiratory infection, or it could be something more significant.

I hope your furbaby is doing okay now. Please let us know!

Cori
kitty permanent and foster humom

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106157 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 11:38 AM
Recommendations: 32
Unfortunately it was not nothing this time. And from her condition, it seems that I was not overreacting the other times, but that the vet did not run the proper tests. She was breathing heavily due to fluid around her heart. We know it was caused by some sort of cancerous mass, but we didn't do further testing given the possible outcomes. We said our final goodbyes and I held my sweet little baby as she took her final breaths. She was truly the best cat (no offense to any of your cats whom I'm sure try their hardest) and I miss her terribly already. Last night as I was going to bed, my eyes hurting from crying so much, I still called for her to join me. These habits formed for 14 years will be very hard to break.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and for making sure I got my cat to the vet in time to have her last moments be peaceful.

DEG

Author: LB0507 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106160 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 12:12 PM
So sorry about your sweet baby.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106163 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 12:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
I'm very sorry. So very sorry.

You gave her the last, best gift; freedom from pain.

Nancy

Author: GuildWarsQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106164 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 12:51 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

(((DEG)))

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106165 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 12:53 PM
(((((DEG))))
I am so, so sorry. I had been checking the board often hoping you'd post that it was a simple thing and easily remedied. I'm glad you got to share 14 years with the best cat in the world. I recently went through a similar situation with my 13 year old kitty. The time's never long enough but precious, none the less.
JK

Author: TheCatWoman Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106167 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 1:01 PM
I'm so very sorry for your loss, DEG. I'm sure that finally having some answers is of little comfort right now. But I hope you can somehow find a little bit of peace in the knowledge that your sweet girl isn't suffering any more.

Hugs,
Cat

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106171 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 1:44 PM
She was truly the best cat (no offense to any of your cats whom I'm sure try their hardest) and I miss her terribly already. Last night as I was going to bed, my eyes hurting from crying so much, I still called for her to join me. These habits formed for 14 years will be very hard to break.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and for making sure I got my cat to the vet in time to have her last moments be peaceful.

so sorry.

-b
.... well.. each thinks HE or SHE is the best Cat ever ..and they are so hard to argue with.

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106175 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 3:09 PM
I'm so sorry. But when we bring a cat into our homes we make a commitment to take care of him/her -- snd, sadly, the final act of caring for and loving an animal is knowing when to let go and say good-bye. You've been a good caretaker.

All best...

Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106176 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 3:26 PM
I am so, SO sorry you had to say goodbye to your dear cat. I'm wish there was something profound I could say that would ease the hurt you feel today. (((DEG)))

You shared years of love and affection and you gave her the final gift of a peaceful passing.

Keeping you in my thoughts this day.

DP

Author: birdmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106178 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 4:12 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to be there for her to help ease her way into that last good night. It's the hardest thing we ever have to do for our pets.

((((((((((DEG))))))))))

Judi

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106179 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 4:19 PM
I'm so sorry 1DEG on the loss of your cat. I know it hurts a lot not being able to see her or pet on her again right now. I find it reassuring to think that we'll all meet up again at the Rainbow Bridge.

LuckyDog

Author: beejaywi1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106181 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 4:22 PM
Poor sweet baby - and poor you!

You gave her the best you could, and held her at the end.

I'm so sorry.

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106182 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 4:23 PM
((((DEG))))

I'm so sorry for your loss.

LWW

Author: sandytravis Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106184 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 4:54 PM
oh no.......

I'm sorry.
But I am glad you got her to the vet in time and you got to say goodbye..

hugs and more hugs,
sandytravis

Author: bosslady52 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106185 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/15/2008 5:16 PM
So sorry about the loss of your precious kitty.

Author: nggCatgoyle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106186 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/16/2008 1:06 AM
Oh 1DEG, my heart breaks for you. I like most others here know what it's like to say goodbye to the best cat ever. You know you made the right decision to let your darling girl go, but it surely doesn't make the hurt any less.

During the 14 years you shared your home with her, you shared love and comfort, and it's no wonder that you are still looking and calling for her. It takes a while to reorient from a significant change in your world, and many tears.

When you're ready to open your heart again, I'm sure another kitty will appear. Not to take the place of your beloved kitty - no one can ever do that - but to give the love in your heart that is now stuck with nowhere to go a release.

For now, all you can do is cry and cry, and when it seems like there can't possibly be any more tears, you cry some more. And it slowly gets better, and easier.

If you'd like to tell us more about your darling girl and the life you shared with her, we're here to listen and enjoy hearing about the special kitty you shared 14 years with.

Kindest regards,

Cori

Author: mhtruck Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106200 of 121918
Subject: Re: Cat breathing funny Date: 12/16/2008 11:25 AM
I’m so sorry for your loss. Knowing that you did the right things and loved your sweet little one enough to let her go peaceful in your loving arms doesn't make the loss any easier.

Perhaps when you feel like reminiscing about your 14 years together, you tell us a few stories or post a few pictures.

You are in my thoughts.

mhtruck

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement