UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (104) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 737110  
Subject: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 6:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
for a week. She sent me an e-mail. She's been suspended. No doubt courtesy of her liberal friends. This is why I don't bother with them. The only opinions they're tolerant of are their own.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677505 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 9:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
for a week. She sent me an e-mail. She's been suspended. No doubt courtesy of her liberal friends. This is why I don't bother with them. The only opinions they're tolerant of are their own.
------------------------------------------------
The free speech people again. What's funny is someone from PA replied to one of my posts yesterday about the Tea Party saying, "they can dish it out but can't take it". Ironic.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677528 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 12:30 PM
Recommendations: 2
"for a week. She sent me an e-mail. She's been suspended. No doubt courtesy of her liberal friends. This is why I don't bother with them. The only opinions they're tolerant of are their own." - wolverine
---------------------------

Damn, and I just let her out of my P-box! Her time out was over.

Seems like I'm not the only one that has trouble controlling my tongue!

"A fiery serpent, how great a forest is set aflame by such a small match." ... somewhere in the bible <grin!>

Art

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677543 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 1:52 PM
Recommendations: 53

It wasn't opinions. Several folks posted calculated data on another board. Her opinion was that it was wrong. She wouldn't comment where the calculation was wrong. She said she would post her own calculations. After several days, posters were prodding her for her calculations. Finally, she said she wasn't going to do the calculations and started calling everyone obnoxious.

As another poster pointed out 'Math is math no matter what "faction" one belongs to.'

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677544 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 1:59 PM
Recommendations: 0
It wasn't opinions. Several folks posted calculated data on another board. Her opinion was that it was wrong. She wouldn't comment where the calculation was wrong. She said she would post her own calculations. After several days, posters were prodding her for her calculations. Finally, she said she wasn't going to do the calculations and started calling everyone obnoxious.
------------------------------------------------------
So she was suspended?

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677553 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 4:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------
Consider me stunned that people are reccing a post about CC getting suspended for not doing her math homework. What other reasons will people accept for people being suspended?

Author: OverTheHump Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677559 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 4:55 PM
Recommendations: 12
Actually, I was following the discussion on the Retirement Investing Board, which is where all this took place, and she slammed me for being too liberal. I'm so far from liberal it was laughable. Anyway, she also FA'd a couple of my replies. I truly didn't care, but she attacked a whole bunch of other posters, and none of it was really political, just rude. I didn't see any reason to suspend her, though, since her comments were not outside the bounds of reason. I've gotten suspended several times over the years, but I probably deserved it.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677561 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 5:01 PM
Recommendations: 3
I didn't see any reason to suspend her, though, since her comments were not outside the bounds of reason.

Several of her posts (which have since been pulled) contained profanity ( obliquely misspelled) which is a violation of the TOS. I assume that's what earned her the suspension.

Quotes of those posts still exist in the thread via replies if someone were really curious.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677576 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 7:35 PM
Actually, I was following the discussion on the Retirement Investing Board, which is where all this took place, and she slammed me for being too liberal. I'm so far from liberal it was laughable. Anyway, she also FA'd a couple of my replies. I truly didn't care, but she attacked a whole bunch of other posters, and none of it was really political, just rude. I didn't see any reason to suspend her, though, since her comments were not outside the bounds of reason. I've gotten suspended several times over the years, but I probably deserved it.

I read a bunch of two threads she was involved in lately so some of the posts hit the Best of list because that's the only way I would have ever seen them. They were pretty funny threads, well maybe not so funny if you were involved. In case you're wondering:

This is the one intercst started about financial advisors.

http://boards.fool.com/retirement-investing-100154.aspx?mid=...

The other one, started by Ravvt: Strategy comparison S&P500 vs. IUL [rev 1]

http://boards.fool.com/retirement-investing-100154.aspx?mid=...

Good reading.

Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677582 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 8:31 PM
Recommendations: 49
"No doubt courtesy of her liberal friends."

Making yourself look silly by jumping to ignorant conclusions without facts again. When will you ever learn?

She was suspended over her own behavior. No one forced her to write what she wrote. Why do you feel the need to deflect her own bad behavior onto others?

"This is why I don't bother with them. The only opinions they're tolerant of are their own."

I am quite sure that the irony of your words are lost on you.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677585 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 9:13 PM
So she was suspended?

I don't know. I'm assuming wolverine knows since he announced it. I just witnessed the likely cause. I didn't go looking to see if she was stirring the pot on other boards too.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677587 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 9:15 PM
I've gotten suspended several times over the years, but I probably deserved it.

Is TMF still serving stale jelly donuts while you're in the Thinking Chair?

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677588 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 9:22 PM
Recommendations: 4
So she was suspended?

I don't know. I'm assuming wolverine knows since he announced it. I just witnessed the likely cause. I didn't go looking to see if she was stirring the pot on other boards too.
---------------------------------------
"Stirring the pot" should get a suspension? If that's the case i can think of quite a few posters who troll around that should be suspended, but they're liberal, so know one calls them on it and tells daddy. Whatever. These people that speak about dying to protect free speech and then go FA stuff and complain are, in my opinion, disgusting, and that goes for conservatives too. If you're so offended put them on ignore.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677598 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/12/2013 11:42 PM
"If you're so offended put them on ignore." - 2828

I use it like a time out for kids. I put them on ignore for a week or two and then I get curious again and let them out just to see what they are saying. My Penalty box ain't a permanent thing.

Art

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677603 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 2:16 AM
Recommendations: 11
PSUEngineer writes,

</snip>

Sounds like CatherineCoy is the new hocus.

http://retireearlyhomepage.com/hocusfree.html

intercst

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677607 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 8:55 AM
Recommendations: 5
"If you're so offended put them on ignore." - 2828

I use it like a time out for kids. I put them on ignore for a week or two and then I get curious again and let them out just to see what they are saying. My Penalty box ain't a permanent thing.

Art
----------------------------------------------
I've never Fa'd and i've never put anyone in a penalty box, i just don't click on posts of people who are ignorant or who are playing troll. What gets me is these paragons of virtue who talk of free speech and then out of the opposite side of their mouths talk about "fool rules" when they don't like something. Has anyone here ever seen a swear word typed out that they haven't encountered a million times before? Are they really this afraid of language that they hide behind rules and regulations to shut someone up so no one else can see it? Now i know how Nazi Germany happened. These people don't deserve freedom.

Author: OverTheHump Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677608 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 9:04 AM
Sounds like CatherineCoy is the new hocus.

Not a chance. CC isn't in the same league as hocus-pocus.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677609 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 9:19 AM
"i just don't click on posts of people who are ignorant or who are playing troll." - 2828

How do you do that? I read the board in unthreaded mode so whatever comes up next is what I see? I just get posts of whoever is next up in line?

I read the first sentence or two and if it's about something I'm not interested in I just click the next button. I kind of just glance at the post and if I see any key words that tip me off about content I'm on to the next post.

Sometimes though if it's humorous or funny I might go on ahead and read it even if it's about politics or something else I don't really care that much about. I'm not exactly all that politically correct myself.

Art

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677610 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 9:24 AM
How do you do that? I read the board in unthreaded mode so whatever comes up next is what I see? I just get posts of whoever is next up in line?
I read it in unthreaded mode too. There's threads i follow, and some i don't, if i don't like the topic i don't click on it. If there's a thread i'm following but someone comments that's an idiot it's hit or miss whether i read it, depending on mood and time constraints, but regardless, if i click and that poster insinuates i'm retarded, a moron, stupid, idiotic, racist, sexist, or whatever, i don't FA it. That is for weak-ass people.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677616 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:02 AM
Recommendations: 16
"Stirring the pot" should get a suspension? If that's the case i can think of quite a few posters who troll around that should be suspended, but they're liberal, so know one calls them on it and tells daddy. Whatever. These people that speak about dying to protect free speech and then go FA stuff and complain are, in my opinion, disgusting, and that goes for conservatives too. If you're so offended put them on ignore.

By itself? No, stirring the pot should not get you suspended. OTOH, at one point I counted 22 out of 40 posts on that board that were hers and I'm sure all but a couple of the rest were replies discussing her actions. None of those were related to the topics being discussed. Essentially, her actions completely destroyed the board and the reason most people frequented go there. That sort of posting may be par for the course here or on PA, but I'm sure nobody wants all the boards like this.

Now, throw in the insults, childish name calling, unrelated political rants, obscenities, etc... I don't recall another poster in 15 years here that was more deserving of a suspension.

-murray

(and yes, I put her on ignore and didn't reply to a single post of hers for 3 days before she stopped posting. I also never FA'ed a single post an that board)

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677617 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:09 AM
(and yes, I put her on ignore and didn't reply to a single post of hers for 3 days before she stopped posting. I also never FA'ed a single post an that board)
Yes, but i guarantee you recced PSUengineer and Umm celebrating the fact CC got suspended. PSU is on the top of BestOf right now. Why? because people are celebrating she got suspended, like i said, it's a Nazi Germany type mentality, they shut her down, bravo, they should be so proud. The whole thing is stupid, control freak lemmings. They should all be tasered and forced to live in N. Korea if you ask me.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677618 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:17 AM
----------------------------------------------------
I just went and checked the Retirement Investing Board, i didn't read the threads or anything, just checked on the amount of posts, from just eyeballing the dates it looks like they average 10-20 posts a day. So you think it's so disruptive she deserves to be suspended? Reminds me of someone on the Chevron or Conoco board who complained about someone using all capital letters when posting, the board gets 1 or 2 posts a day, they should be happy anyone posts there at all.

Author: PinotPete Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677619 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 22
...people are celebrating she got suspended, like i said, it's a Nazi Germany type mentality, they shut her down, bravo, they should be so proud.../i

I'm really not so sure that's the reason for the 'celebration' (i.e. the recs from certain posters).

I think the real reason is the perception that she:

* acted in an obnoxious ad hominem way with those who disagreed with her
* failed to support her opinions with any facts
* used thinly veiled profanity (the "ph" for f, "que" for k sort of thing)

Pete

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677622 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:46 AM
Yes, but i guarantee you recced PSUengineer and Umm celebrating the fact CC got suspended. PSU is on the top of BestOf right now. Why? because people are celebrating she got suspended, like i said, it's a Nazi Germany type mentality, they shut her down, bravo, they should be so proud. The whole thing is stupid, control freak lemmings. They should all be tasered and forced to live in N. Korea if you ask me.

I'm thrilled she got suspended because virtually nobody was talking about retirement investing, it was all about CC. So what? My ignoring her alone didn't work.

She brought this on herself...why are you trying to defend her? There's nothing political about it whatsoever.

-murray

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677623 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:50 AM
I just went and checked the Retirement Investing Board, i didn't read the threads or anything, just checked on the amount of posts, from just eyeballing the dates it looks like they average 10-20 posts a day. So you think it's so disruptive she deserves to be suspended?

Go back 30 days and you'll see it took two weeks to cover 40 (on topic) posts. So yes, 10-20 off topic rants is disruptive.

And (again) it was the insults and obscenities that likely got her suspended. You seem to be ignoring the fact that those even exist. There's likely still evidence there if you care to look.

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677624 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:50 AM
I'm thrilled she got suspended because virtually nobody was talking about retirement investing, it was all about CC. So what? My ignoring her alone didn't work.

She brought this on herself...why are you trying to defend her? There's nothing political about it whatsoever.

-murray
-------------------------------
Yes, now the Retirement Investing board can go on with the 10 to 20 posts a day without interruption. No use clogging up the board with an extra 5 posts, it's hard enough reading through 15 posts a day, it's exhausting, oh, and that ignoring posts by her, it's so difficult.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677626 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:57 AM
I just went and checked the Retirement Investing Board, i didn't read the threads or anything, just checked on the amount of posts, from just eyeballing the dates it looks like they average 10-20 posts a day. So you think it's so disruptive she deserves to be suspended?

Go back 30 days and you'll see it took two weeks to cover 40 (on topic) posts. So yes, 10-20 off topic rants is disruptive.
-----------------------------------------------------
Shouldn't you be at the Retirement Investing Board right now drinking in their knowledge? There's only 2 posts today and it's almost 11am eastern time. Enjoy the board while CC is away, no disruptions.

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677639 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:03 PM
Recommendations: 6
Consider me stunned that people are reccing a post about CC getting suspended for not doing her math homework. What other reasons will people accept for people being suspended?

Consider me stunned that people are reccing a post about CC getting censored for not doing her math homework. What other reasons will people accept for people being censored?

Absolutely execrable!

TMF is turning into a total POS board. Banning people for not providing the math to support their opinion is now a suspendable offense?! Liberals think this censorship is not just justified but also praise worthy?

I understand liberals do not like the Second Amendment, however, I always thought they'd support every American's rights to the First. Apparently if you don't toe the liberal party line, they think you are not entitled to any Rights.

What about our Healthcare? When Obama takes over, will they praise the denial of healthcare for people who don't vote the right way?!

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677644 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:15 PM
<sarcasm>
It sure is marvelous to get CC banned. After all, TMF doesn't have any highly convenient tools to help you filter content, such as "Ignore Fool" and "Ignore Thread."

Think about all the extra time you will save now that you don't have to read stuff written by people who you'd rather ignore or on topics you would rather not read since those tools aren't available.
</sarcasm>

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677645 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:19 PM
Banning people for not providing the math to support their opinion is now a suspendable offense?!

{sigh}

No, it's not. I'll ask you, should I be able to throw around phonetically spelled obscenities and personal insults on these boards?

Fact is, she was giving her opinion on math for a better part of a week, thankfully the insults and obscenities didn't last nearly as long.

-murray

Author: BenHurJudah Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677648 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:25 PM
Are you a liberal?

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677650 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:34 PM
Are you a liberal?

If that's directed at me, yes I am. I'm not sure how that is relevant to the discussion? At least one non liberal has admitted to FAing CC's posts.

-murray

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677651 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:36 PM
No, it's not. I'll ask you, should I be able to throw around phonetically spelled obscenities and personal insults on these boards?

Sure, it is OK by me, I would just grey you and not know

That said, though I like many others (including apparently Murray) never FA a post, the Fool does have every right to give someone a timeout when they throw a tantrum, whether that tantrum is correct or incorrect in nature, it is still a tantrum

Sure liberal are less likely to get time outs, but I know of many that have when they threw tantrums.

It sure looks like in this instance it was not unreasonable to tell CC to take a break.

DO liberals FA too much? Sure, that is an easy call. There have been many posts PA'd from here totally undeservedly. But there are a group of libs that are thin skinned and the censors seem to pretty much get rid of anything FAd if there is the slightest reason-I bet that works the same for all poster.

We all know CC can get pretty worked up when she gets upset, some of us walk away from the keyboard when we get upset, some, well get time outs.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677652 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:36 PM

for some people everything is 'political'/tribal

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677654 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 1:47 PM
Well said lowstudent. I'd prefer people's emotional rants be kept for all to see while I do my best to take the high road, though I do admit to baiting her a bit.

She seemed to take every comment personally. Asking for data was apparently "rude" and was why it wasn't provided.

I'd like to see a post of mine which she thinks was rude or insulting towards her. I could point out dozens from her assuming they havn't been removed.

-murray

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677655 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 2:05 PM
I'd like to see a post of mine which she thinks was rude or insulting towards her. I could point out dozens from her assuming they havn't been removed.

Look, I try to be as rude and offending as possible personally. SO I have no problem with rude and offending. But try to at least be funny when you do it, and to stop before you get too obnoxious and that's fine.

Even if it were defensive, it does not really matter. You get carried away you take a break. Once you can't see there is some humor and it is not life and death you have to step away. In this case the step away was forced.

Personally, I kind of like CC's intensity she takes a stand with a bulldog intensity that I admire and defends it like a Rottie. I don't always agree, but you sure as heck know where she stands, so I am fine with it.

But the board is a shared environment and there are rules. In general IMO you should not go too much further off on people than you would with a friend you disagree with vehemently -- once you start a cascade of anger well......

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677656 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 2:14 PM
Personally, I kind of like CC's intensity she takes a stand with a bulldog intensity that I admire and defends it like a Rottie. I don't always agree, but you sure as heck know where she stands, so I am fine with it.

Yeah, it was somewhat amusing how she would throw out insults left and right (actually, just left :), yet was extremely thin skinned at the slightest inclination that she didn't know what she was talking about.

I love a good debate, particularly when I have the data on my side. Obviously, she took it too far, but I'd still like to see her data, but without the emotional rants.

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677658 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 2:43 PM
I love a good debate, particularly when I have the data on my side.
---------------------------------------------------
You're a liberal, that data is rarely on your side.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677659 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 2:48 PM
Recommendations: 7
You're a liberal, that data is rarely on your side.

So says the guy who tried to make issue with the suspension simply because CC had a differing opinion.

Kind of like saying it's ridiculous to take away someone's diver's license for driving 5 MPH over the speed limit while omitting the fact that they had a BAC of .15% and were driving over the center line.

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677661 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 2:55 PM
So says the guy who tried to make issue with the suspension simply because CC had a differing opinion.

Kind of like saying it's ridiculous to take away someone's diver's license for driving 5 MPH over the speed limit while omitting the fact that they had a BAC of .15% and were driving over the center line.
Mommy, mommy, mommy, someone didn't produce the math i requested and said phuck, mommy, mommy, mommy. Good LORD you people are children. The other day i got called retarded, big friggin' deal.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677662 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 3:03 PM
Good LORD you people are children.

I had nothing to do with her suspension, I'm just relaying the facts of how it went down, at least from my perspective since the evidence is there to show CC's perspective is wrong.

This is simply about CC breaking the rules. It sucks for her that she couldn't control her emotions enough to stay within the rules, but she did.

If you don't like the rules of TMF, take it up with someone else.

-murray

Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677670 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 5:06 PM
"Yes, but i guarantee you recced PSUengineer and Umm celebrating the fact CC got suspended."

2828 you are being dishonest again. I never celebrated about her getting suspended. Celebration would actually require caring.

I pointed out that the OP was incorrect in his assumptions.

Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677672 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 5:22 PM
Recommendations: 33
"Banning people for not providing the math to support their opinion is now a suspendable offense?!"

I am pretty sure CC did not get suspended for not doing the math to support her incorrect position. I am guessing it had more to do with her repeated use of obscene language directed at other posters.

"I understand liberals do not like the Second Amendment, however, I always thought they'd support every American's rights to the First. Apparently if you don't toe the liberal party line, they think you are not entitled to any Rights."

Liberals do support the first amendment. Aparently you just do not have a clue what the first amendment is about. The first amendment covers government action with respect to the people. TMF is a private company. They can choose who they allow to use their property and how those people use it.

The Masters tournament at Augusta Georgia does not allow the public to bring cell phones into the tournament. You must be up in arms about that censorship huh? Most movie theatres do not allow patrons to talk loudly and disrupt the movie. That censorship must drive you bonkers. I am sure if some crazy person was standing on your front porch, yelling in the middle of the night you would just let him be because you wouldn't want to censor him right?

"When Obama takes over, will they praise the denial of healthcare for people who don't vote the right way?!"

LOL yeah that tin foil hat talk is credible.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677675 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 5:59 PM
Yeah, I could say its just like a conservative to start a fight they can't finish and then whine about getting caught escalating it to the point of rule breaking, but then I'm smart enough to know that behavior isn't limited to one side or the other.

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677676 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 6:16 PM
Yeah, I could say its just like a conservative to start a fight they can't finish and then whine about getting caught escalating it to the point of rule breaking, but then I'm smart enough to know that behavior isn't limited to one side or the other.
---------------------------------------------------------
We wouldn't want any "rule breaking", LOL. The only rule breaking should be in your Motley Fool portfolio, that and a good dose of rule makers too....meep.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677677 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 6:20 PM
The fact remains that CC is whining about the "obnoxious" "libruls" getting her banned.

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677679 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 6:21 PM
The fact remains that CC is whining about the "obnoxious" "libruls" getting her banned.

-murray
--------------------------------------------
Well, then there's only one thing left to do, tell mommy.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677682 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 6:49 PM

CC steps out of line occasionally, but when she calls someone an idiot it's usually because they are making up data and ignoring reality.

When HP calls someone an idiot it's usually because they are citing documented evidence and ignoring the liberal hallucination.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677684 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 6:53 PM
Recommendations: 7
CC steps out of line occasionally, but when she calls someone an idiot it's usually because they are making up data and ignoring reality.

Ironic that the exact opposite happened in this case.

-murray

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677685 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 7:40 PM

Ironic that the exact opposite happened in this case.

-murray

well, that's one example of why the word "usually" is in there.

Author: BGinNJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677702 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 9:55 PM
Recommendations: 6
<I think the real reason is the perception that she:

* acted in an obnoxious ad hominem way with those who disagreed with her
* failed to support her opinions with any facts
* used thinly veiled profanity (the "ph" for f, "que" for k sort of thing)>

How is that different than almost every thread on the PA board?

How is that any different than the graylings who come to this board and do the same thing without ever adding anything to our knowledge base with their one trick pony? We talk about a lot of other topics here, but the greylings never contribute anything to those discussions.

Personally, I stay away from boards where people are outwardly hostile or where they refuse to engage in honest debate. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a passionate discussion between two people holding contrasting opinions on a particular subject. When one has to resort to nastiness, it usually means they have lost the intellectual arguemt. Once you have been through a few battles, most reasonable people will avoid fighting for fighting sake. It's just not worth the time.

If one takes the time to understand the workings of this board you will find that we are not a monolithic group. Many of us strongly disagree with others on various points of interest. Yet we carry on our discussions in a generally civil tone, so that the disagreements do not poison the well. When you talk to people about food, movies, beer, music, family, etc, you get a deeper understanding of who you are talking to. Graylings who come in, drop a t*rd and then leave are not being respectful nor do they garner respect in return. If all you got is politics from a narrow POV, there is not much interest in continuing a conversation. That was the problem with our old nemesis Hocus. His singular not grew tiring.

If Catherine's postings are really suspension worthy, there are literally dozens of others who are deserving of a time out too. Yet I do not see that happening for some reason.

BG

(PS in a bit of irony, the Fools filters would not allow me to post the word t*rd. How about that!)

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677705 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/13/2013 10:57 PM
Recommendations: 12
When one has to resort to nastiness, it usually means they have lost the intellectual arguemt. Once you have been through a few battles, most reasonable people will avoid fighting for fighting sake. It's just not worth the time. BG

I am reminded that it was another board that finally got Hocus out altogether, can't remember which one, but a less busy board than boards like PA and RECF. REHP/RECF tolerated him for ages and gave as good as it got, but when he posted a few times on that quieter board and started to pull some of his usual stuff before long he was suspended and eventually gone for good. We were all rather shocked.

If I am to believe 2828, which I sometimes do, Retirement Investing is generally a more quiet and peaceful board where those who post stay focused for the most part on their designated topic. Catherine posts on PA, another busy, diverse board like RECF, all the time and we don't suddenly hear she has been suspended. It is the quieter, more focused board where suddenly she is gone.

I liken it to small towns and big cities. Small towns don't tolerate disruptions to their routines well at all, and you could be run out of town on the rails quickly if you upset a few of the right people whereas cities embrace all kinds and you can be yourself, more or less, without fear of being kicked out of town.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677706 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 12:50 AM
Recommendations: 5
I liken it to small towns and big cities. Small towns don't tolerate disruptions to their routines well at all, and you could be run out of town on the rails quickly if you upset a few of the right people whereas cities embrace all kinds and you can be yourself, more or less, without fear of being kicked out of town.

Good analogy. Again, I was fine with ignoring her posts and encouraging others to ignore the apparent "troll", but the tone of the entire board was changed. I doubt anyone wanted to turn it into a "big city" and it really would have been a shame to do so.

I really think CC hit a fatal flaw in trying to treat testable data as political data and it became fairly obvious she was in over her head. Rather than bow out gracefully, she dug her heals in and fought back with literally nothing to back up her position.

When prompted to support her position (repeatedly which probably escalated the situation), she threw out insults such as "librul", "limp wristed", "meaningless wart", "wimp" among others. Again, I simply ignored her posts and moved on knowing nothing was to be gained from arguing with her.

It's unfortunate she couldn't control her emotions, but her passion proved to be her fatal flaw when she didn't recognize her lack of knowledge on the topic even after I pointed it out.

I'm still curious to see which of my posts she found insulting or rude. I'd love to get some feedback from those here on on insulting they really are.

-murray

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677708 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 1:59 AM
I'm still curious to see which of my posts she found insulting or rude. I'd love to get some feedback from those here on on insulting they really are.

-murray

----------------

OK. I nominate this one.

http://boards.fool.com/suspension-is-extreme-but-seems-like-...

There are a couple threads going on the Retire Early CampFIRE board regarding this if anyone is interested in the misinformation being spread.

I'll refrain from posting any more on the topic here and post there since that place is a cesspool of off topic arguments (like PA) anyways.

-murray

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677709 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 2:15 AM
Recommendations: 28

Hocus was/is one a million. But still, a very good analogy. Let's take a look:

-- Hocus claimed to have secret data (the 41st binder) that the proved existing, public information wrong. But never provided the secret data.

-- CC claimed to have secret data (from an invisible friend) that proved the existing, public information wrong. But never provided the secret data.

-- Hocus claimed to be fighting against orthodoxy based on a higher level of understanding(old school vs. new school)

-- CC claimed to be fighting against orthodoxy based on a higher level of understanding (market returns without market risk!)

-- Hocus claimed that people who could do math were involved with a conspiracy against him because they were afraid of his secret analysis

-- CC claimed that people who could do math were involved with a conspiracy against her because they were afraid of her secret analysis

-- Hocus became irrationally angry when people pointed out his plan made no financial sense.

-- CC became irrationally angry when people pointed out her plan made no financial sense.

-- Hocus made vague prophecies of doom for those who didn't follow his advice (millions of busted retirements)

-- CC made vague prophecies of doom for those who didn't follow her advice (Zero is your hero!)

-- Hocus got the ban hammer from TMF after a deluge of posts completely unrelated to the topic

-- CC got the ban hammer from TMF after a deluge of posts completely unrelated to the topic

Not a perfect comparison to be sure. But you gotta admit there are some striking similarities.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677713 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 9:43 AM
OK. I nominate this one.

I'll never claim I can't be rude or insulting, but how do you see that insulting CC?? She claims I was rude towards her, I'd just like to know where.

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677714 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 9:47 AM
I'll never claim I can't be rude or insulting, but how do you see that insulting CC?? She claims I was rude towards her, I'd just like to know where.

-murray
----------------------------------------
Go away already, you've already celebrated her getting suspended into a little rec wh*re cottage industry. You 15 minutes of annoying are up.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677715 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 9:57 AM
If I am to believe 2828, which I sometimes do, Retirement Investing is generally a more quiet and peaceful board where those who post stay focused for the most part on their designated topic. Catherine posts on PA, another busy, diverse board like RECF, all the time and we don't suddenly hear she has been suspended. It is the quieter, more focused board where suddenly she is gone.
---------------------------------------------------
Oh thanks, i sometimes like Bob Dylan.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677717 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 10:02 AM
all I can say about the greylings is they have diarrhea of the mouth.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677718 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 10:10 AM
all I can say about the greylings is they have diarrhea of the mouth.
-------------------------------------------------------
They sense an opportunity to get recs. You get this when a conservative gets banned or when they find something a conservative says that snopes says is false. When a conservative gets banned they like to go around and tell why mommy and daddy pulled the plug and to reiterate their undying love of free speech, but in this certain instance it was necessary because "rules" and the fool is private and conservatives should love it because private companies can do what they want (unless a liberal congress tells them what they must do, like minimum wage, in that case it's good when companies are told what to do because they can't be trusted). In the snopes example they basically clamor to be the first to put up the snopes link so they get the most recs, in some cases they'll post the same snopes link 4 or 5 times hoping that someone clicks on their post first and recs it.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677719 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 10
all I can say about the greylings is they have diarrhea of the mouth

LOL! I'm not sure what you think of "diarrhea", but the sewage in CC's posts was a heck of a lot closer to what I flush down the drain than anything else posted on that board.

I'll ask you to find a single post calling CC a condescending name because she was throwing out the name calling left and right. It was rather amusing to see how childish a grown adult could act...

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677721 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 10:42 AM
I'll ask you to find a single post calling CC a condescending name because she was throwing out the name calling left and right. It was rather amusing to see how childish a grown adult could act...
Indeed.

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677724 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 11:14 AM
I understand liberals do not like the Second Amendment, however, I always thought they'd support every American's rights to the First. Apparently if you don't toe the liberal party line, they think you are not entitled to any Rights.

Hilarious. Do you even know where you are? Or what you believe in?

Here you are screaming about "free speech" on someone else's private property, all while advocating policies that let you know what's going on in someone else's bedroom.

What unbelievable moral hypocrisy.

Author: catmeyoo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677725 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 11:42 AM
Oh thanks, i sometimes like Bob Dylan

Oh ouch. You're ready for bear this morning. I meant always of course but didn't want to sound like such a sap--oh now I'm making it worse--alas I fear redemption is a lost cause. Well, it was sweet while it lasted.

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677730 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 12:16 PM
---------------------------------------------------------
While i was walking i finally figured out what this reminded me of. Awhile back i told you guys a story of how at my parents retirement complex my uncle has a place there and because of his arthritis he changed the doorknob on the outside of his condo to a lever. Well, that was against "the rules" and my dad was annoyed at him changing the doorknob and someone told on him to the condo board and he got in trouble. Now the Fool has rules, but if people were for free speech they wouldn't report it and hide behind "the rules" as an excuse. That's what the CC suspension reminds me of, and catmeyoo's comment about small community is what reminded me, a small group clinging to their regulations religion. Like i said before, i went back and checked the amount of posts that board averaged before this kerfuffle and it was about 10-20 a friggin' day, less than one every hour, such a chore ignoring her, they should be happy anyone posts there at all. It's just little closet totalitarians that need something to complain about and censor to be happy, much like an old stodgy retirement community.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677731 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 12:46 PM

I'd accept this. PA is a place where you can go and have it out. I think the Fool wants it that way. For other boards they'll keep a much tighter rein on what goes on.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677732 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 1:17 PM
Several liberals may piously claim they never FA posts, but there are other ways. The normal penalty for profanity is a 2 or 3 day time out. A week, though? A week means somebody (or more than one somebodys) sent some emails to TMF directly. No need to FA posts if you're doing it that way; it's the next best thing.

The easiest way for a Fool conservative to get banned is for that person to start acting like a Fool liberal. It's that simple. So the solution is just as simple: don't act like them. We're better than that anyway.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677733 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 1:21 PM
Murray, EVERY post you have made on this forum so far this year has been cheering about a person being banned.

Do you have ANYTHING to contribute to this board?

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677736 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 2:00 PM
Murray, EVERY post you have made on this forum so far this year has been cheering about a person being banned.

Without looking back, I believe I've only said in one post that I'm pleased that CC was banned because the board had lost its focus.

Tell me what the purpose of this board is and I'll tell you if I have anything to contribute.

-murray

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677737 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 2:14 PM
Recommendations: 11

Without looking back, I believe I've only said in one post that I'm pleased that CC was banned because the board had lost its focus.

Tell me what the purpose of this board is and I'll tell you if I have anything to contribute.

-murray
---------------------------------------------
It's a "cesspool", yet you feel the need to keep posting here, and CC is the immature, childish one. Gotcha.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677740 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 3:48 PM
all I can say about the greylings is they have diarrhea of the mouth
============
LOL! I'm not sure what you think of "diarrhea", but the sewage in CC's posts was a heck of a lot closer to what I flush down the drain than anything else posted on that board.

one of the interesting things about TMF is how it's evolved its own language (and sub-cultures)

'liberal' /'conservative' have different meanings (vs outside world)
'troll' has different meaning.

"diarrhea of the mouth" just means posting on and on where you're not welcome. nothing personal

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677748 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 5:12 PM
Wow....what a kerfluffle!! (or however that weird word is spelled).

In protest of CC being banned, I'm overdosing on Flaxseed oil pills everyday until she returns. I should be able to run a marathon by the time she returns.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677749 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 5:22 PM
Wow....what a kerfluffle!! (or however that weird word is spelled).

In protest of CC being banned, I'm overdosing on Flaxseed oil pills everyday until she returns. I should be able to run a marathon by the time she returns.
LordFool

>>>>>>

well nice to see you around Lord.

You should make sure you have a good supply of TP before overdosing on Flaxseed and keep plenty of reading material in your bathroom. :)

Hopefully by the time she gets back, this thread and those fleas of the PA board will have left.

LuckyDog

Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677751 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 6:00 PM
Not a perfect comparison to be sure. But you gotta admit there are some striking similarities.

I did not participate on the board or the thread. I don't know this person's posts at all.

But there is no reason why they couldn't be the same person. Just because the latest person claims to be "Catherine" doesn't mean the person is a female. While I understand hocus was/is a male, the evidence is - what???

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677752 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 6:01 PM

I did not participate on the board or the thread. I don't know this person's posts at all.

But there is no reason why they couldn't be the same person. Just because the latest person claims to be "Catherine" doesn't mean the person is a female. While I understand hocus was/is a male, the evidence is - what???
-------------------------------------------------
.....and then there's Maude.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677758 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 7:40 PM
"Tell me what the purpose of this board is and I'll tell you if I have anything to contribute." - murray

Murray I like slice of life posts about travel, your home town, your family, food that you like to cook, restaurants, the school you went to, your marriage or being single, if you are retired or not, what you did/do for a living, your hobbies like fishing, biking, hunting, what you believe - like are you a spiritual person or not, movies that you like, humor, pets, animals, birds, philosophy, etc.

Oh, and there are some on this board that love sports although I'm not one of them. They also like to talk about coffee, divorce, investing - like what or how do you invest, etc.

Some on the board are also into computing, lawn care, cars, peak oil, etc.

I love anything about the tropics, Florida, the Keys, snorkeling, fishing, and cooking and eating fish. I used to fish and hunt a lot as a kid and I have probably cleaned a million fish in my lifetime!

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677763 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 7:52 PM
"But there is no reason why they couldn't be the same person. Just because the latest person claims to be "Catherine" doesn't mean the person is a female. While I understand hocus was/is a male, the evidence is - what???" lindytoes

Linda we know Hocus and Catherine. Those of us who have participated on this board for over a decade know who they are.

Catherine Coy is actually a very attractive woman that lives in Southern California and is some kind of mortgage broker. She is a pistol and won't let anything alone once she gets her teeth into it. I believe she would argue with a circle saw if given a chance.

Catherine Coy Mortgage Broker (picture at link)
http://homebuying.about.com/od/findingalender/qt/052208_Cath...

Hocus's real name is Rob Bennett and is married and lived in Maryland I believe. I'm not sure but I think he was some kind of lawyer? But he used to write these long boring posts where he would go on and on and on till your eyes glazed over. He felt he had been treated unfairly and that no one would listen to him because the "board general" (intercst) was somehow blocking him from being heard. It was really bizarre how he wouldn't let it rest. He just couldn't let it go.

Hocus i.e. Rob Bennett:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Rob+Bennett+hocus&id...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Rob+Bennett+hocus&id...

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677765 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 7:56 PM
Hocus's real name is Rob Bennett and is married and lived in Maryland I believe. I'm not sure but I think he was some kind of lawyer? But he used to write these long boring posts where he would go on and on and on till your eyes glazed over. He felt he had been treated unfairly and that no one would listen to him because the "board general" (intercst) was somehow blocking him from being heard. It was really bizarre how he wouldn't let it rest. He just couldn't let it go.
-----------------------------------------------------
The one thing about hocus, no one could ever accuse him of posting off topic. He was focused like a friggin' laser on retirement.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677766 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 7:57 PM
I am reminded that it was another board that finally got Hocus out altogether, can't remember which one, but a less busy board than boards like PA and RECF. REHP/RECF tolerated him for ages and gave as good as it got, but when he posted a few times on that quieter board and started to pull some of his usual stuff before long he was suspended
-----------------

Moving Off Of the Fast Lane. Can't remember the main guy, but he was nice. Too nice. hocus aimed at people like that.

Yes - the culture of the particular board should be observed.

arrete - back from bowed dulcimer festival, and I don't really know what is going on

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677768 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:01 PM
"The one thing about hocus, no one could ever accuse him of posting off topic. He was focused like a friggin' laser on retirement." - 2828

Even after the rest of us had moved on and had grown tired of it. Rob kept going on about safe withdrawal rates till our eyes glazed over.

Once I set up my 72(t)SEPP withdrawals there really wasn't much more I needed to do. I took exactly the same withdrawal every year regardless of what my IRA was doing because it was set by the calculator on intercst's webpage. Within my IRA I just kept the constant 60%/40% balance stock index funds/bond funds and it worked great. Even though I was taking yearly distributions my accounts still continued to grow another $20,000.

When I turned 55 I started getting a little pension from the state and in another 2 years I'll get another little raise when I start my social security. It's going to be sweet!

Art

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677770 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:08 PM
"The one thing about hocus, no one could ever accuse him of posting off topic. He was focused like a friggin' laser on retirement." - 2828

Even after the rest of us had moved on and had grown tired of it. Rob kept going on about safe withdrawal rates till our eyes glazed over.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I think it had to do with him not having enough money to retire. I mean if you got 1 million in the bank, no kids, and a wife that likes working it's one thing, but if you have a wife and kids and you're the only employed person and only have $200,000 in savings it's quite another. I also don't think he had the temperment, he seems like the type that would watch a business show and sell all his stocks, then read about something the next day and buy them all back.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677773 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:16 PM
"I think it had to do with him not having enough money to retire. I mean if you got 1 million in the bank, no kids, and a wife that likes working it's one thing, but if you have a wife and kids and you're the only employed person and only have $200,000 in savings it's quite another." - 2828
------------------

I was using the "3 legged stool" approach to retirement also. My retirement wasn't based on just my IRA but also included a small pension plus social security. 3 legs. IRA distribution + TCRS pension + social security = $$$

I'm hoping when it's all said and done in two years it looks something like this; $533 + $467 + $809 = $1809 X 12 months = $21,708/year. As long as I don't end up living under a bridge or in a dumpster I'll be okay.

Art

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677774 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:23 PM
" As long as I don't end up living under a bridge or in a dumpster I'll be okay.

Art "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There are some pretty nifty bridges out in the world.

Howie52
Dumpsters are another matter -

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677776 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:24 PM
Lindy, years ago, I spoke to CC on the phone and she is a female. She answered my questions about reverse mortgages. An elderly friend had asked me for advice and CC kindly gave me info that I passed on to my friend. The elderly friend didn't do the reverse mortgage and she passed away a yr or two later.

but yes, I can vouch that she's a female and not a high pitched voice man. :0

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677777 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:30 PM
In my not so humble opinion, I believe hocus was a hair off mentally. The way the man would post, long, long, long posts....endlessly posting these long monologues and intercst or incest used to respond back and bash, and bash, and on and on and frankly, it was boring, monotonous, disruptive and like my old friend tn would understand, the boy wasn't right in the head.

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677778 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:32 PM
welcome bowed dulcimer lady, you didn't miss too much. Some weanies on another board had CC kicked off for awhile and they have come here to whine. I have them greyed out, makes life simpler.

You'll have to tell us in a new post how the dulcimer event went for you.

Glad you made it home safely.

LuckyDog

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677783 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:58 PM

Your skin should be a nice creamy white too.

Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677784 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 8:59 PM
Catherine Coy Mortgage Broker (picture at link)
http://homebuying.about.com/od/findingalender/qt/052208_Cath......

You know, she looks like a nice person. I'd love to discuss retirement investment with her in a civil manner. Hopefully I'll get the chance when she returns.

-murray

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677785 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 9:00 PM
Art, you didn't mention duality once.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677790 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 10:19 PM

How do you do that? I can't read in unthreaded mode -- I simply can't follow a discussion that way.

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677794 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 11:21 PM
well nice to see you around Lord.

Thanks LD, good to see you too. I've had more time since not posting as often here. Life has been much more productive. I've founded three tech companies, single-handedly built 38 homes for Habitat for Humanity, and climbed Mount Everest....twice...with an oxygen mask.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677796 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 11:39 PM
"Art, you didn't mention duality once. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If he mentioned it once it would not be duality.

Howie52

You're welcome.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677797 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 11:43 PM
"How do you do that? I read the board in unthreaded mode so whatever comes up next is what I see? I just get posts of whoever is next up in line?

How do you do that? I can't read in unthreaded mode -- I simply can't follow a discussion that way. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Until you read a tad of a thread, you really cannot know if the thread
as a whole is worth following.

Howie52
Not all post threads lead to anything. Sometimes threads that are
inherently dim-witted have a really interesting middle or
branch. And stream of consciousness designs tend to have unusual
twists.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677798 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 11:46 PM
"climbed Mount Everest....twice...with an oxygen mask. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One would think the conversations would leave something to be desired.

Howie52

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677801 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/14/2013 11:57 PM
Thanks LD, good to see you too. I've had more time since not posting as often here. Life has been much more productive. I've founded three tech companies, single-handedly built 38 homes for Habitat for Humanity, and climbed Mount Everest....twice...with an oxygen mask.

Oh yeah? Well, I ate at a Mexican restaurant yesterday and took a walk. :-P

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677804 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 4:07 AM

An example of separation.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677805 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 6:19 AM
Moving Off Of the Fast Lane. Can't remember the main guy, but he was nice. Too nice. hocus aimed at people like that.

Yes - the culture of the particular board should be observed.

arrete - back from bowed dulcimer festival, and I don't really know what is going on

The power of the dulcimer seems to be both strong and a force for good!!<grin>

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677806 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 6:21 AM

An example of separation.

OR maybe, he mentioned it twice!

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677812 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 8:55 AM
"You know, she looks like a nice person. I'd love to discuss retirement investment with her in a civil manner. Hopefully I'll get the chance when she returns." - -murray

--------------------

She is an attractive woman. Tough as nails though. Personality of a bull terrier. She won't let anything slip past her and she likes to have the last word.

Whew! She has an older son and I can just imagine what it was like growing up with her as his mother. She would question everything you do or did and she'd go through your room with a fine toothed comb. Nothing would slip past her. She would have made a great drill sergeant.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677813 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 8:59 AM
"Art, you didn't mention duality once." - PSUEngineer

That is part of my belief system. Who I am. It defines me. It's just how I see the world.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677815 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 9:06 AM
"How do you do that? I can't read in unthreaded mode -- I simply can't follow a discussion that way." - andrew

Have you ever noticed that I tend to change the subject rather quickly? I have the attention span of a gnat. I get bored talking about the same thing for more than a few seconds.

Like that thread about Catherine..... they just kept going back and forth, wearing it out. Whew! How can it be that interesting. Who cares?

Art

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677824 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 10:48 AM

How do you do that? I can't read in unthreaded mode -- I simply can't follow a discussion that way.
-----------------

Hmmm. My whole thread link doesn't work any more. What's up with that? And I have to sign in multiple times a day. I don't think the Fool likes me.

arrete

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677900 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 5:10 PM
Hmmm. My whole thread link doesn't work any more. What's up with that? And I have to sign in multiple times a day. I don't think the Fool likes me.

arrete

-------------------

When is the last time you cleared your browser cache, deleted cookies, emptied temp storage, etc? That is the usual starting point for issues like this.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 677901 of 737110
Subject: Re: Catherine gone... Date: 4/15/2013 5:17 PM
When is the last time you cleared your browser cache, deleted cookies, emptied temp storage, etc? That is the usual starting point for issues like this.
-----------------

Woohoo. I can use whole thread mode. Thanks! Big kiss. Still had to sign in again to write this message, though. Maybe when I reboot, that will work too. I always forget about clearing cache.

arrete

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (104) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement