Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195084  
Subject: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/6/2012 10:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Currently the federal government funds a large portion of Catholic Charities funds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Charities

About $2 billion of its budget comes from the Faith-Based Initiatives Office of the federal government.

Catholic Charities received a total of nearly $2.9 billion from the US government in 2010. In comparison, its annual revenue was $4.67 billion. Only about $140 million came from donations from diocesan churches, the remainder coming from in-kind contributions, investments, program fees, and community donations.

I knew a huge portion of the charity funding came from the federal government. It is extremely difficult to find out how much.

With Romney's comment about PBS I did some digging.

I wonder if he is for or against the faith based charity funding? Catholic Charities gets way more than PBS.

I found it interesting that some of the Catholic Charities are giving up the government funding. I wonder how many will. 2.9 Billion is a lot of money.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/catholic-charity-rejects-go...

A Catholic charitable organization has rejected government funding so it can uphold traditional Christian teachings and serve the poor with less bureaucratic red tape.

I wonder how much of it is 'around the corner funding". For example, when I worked for the foodbank we received part of our food form Second harvest. They received money from the federal government.

I don't think people realize how intertwined our government and private sectors are.

Jean
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183311 of 195084
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/7/2012 10:46 AM
Recommendations: 0
Here's another article about Catholic funding from the government.

http://www.networklobby.org/news-media/federal-funding-catho...

Because we lobby strenuously for government funding for programs that serve the needs of people, we take seriously any charges that the government may be shortchanging them. For that reason, we want to set the record straight now. And we intend to make sure that this administration and others to follow continue to serve the common good.

This organization lobbies for Catholic funding.

I'm a big separation of church and state person.

That said, I understand the reasoning behind the funding. The religious already had the bones of the aid. Food Banks, counseling, adoption services, etc. With more funding they could expand their assistance.

As long as they held to the rules of other organizations doing the same work I don't really have a problem with it.

In fact, it may have unintended consequences. Perhaps as they are required not to discriminate, etc they will realize that people are people.

Jean

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183313 of 195084
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/7/2012 11:29 AM
Recommendations: 1
Perhaps as they are required not to discriminate, etc they will realize that people are people.

jean... being required to do something and actually doing it are two VASTLY different things.

AM

Author: benjd25 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183315 of 195084
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/7/2012 4:45 PM
Recommendations: 3
As long as they held to the rules of other organizations doing the same work I don't really have a problem with it.

They aren't. They can discriminate on the basis of religion in their hiring. It was one of Obama's campaign promises to change this - and it is one of the many broken ones.

http://action.secular.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=71...

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183319 of 195084
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/8/2012 10:30 AM
Are you talking about organizations that get government funding? I couldn't tell from your link.

It's was interesting to me in looking into this, that one of the cases was the mormon church

http://law.justia.com/constitution/us/amendment-01/06-exempt...

Author: benjd25 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183325 of 195084
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/8/2012 3:51 PM
Recommendations: 1
Are you talking about organizations that get government funding? I couldn't tell from your link.

Yes.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1101/faith-based-hiring-obama-ad...

<tt...As a result, more religious groups began applying for and receiving federal funding, which opened up the whole question of whether a religious group receiving federal funding could take religion into account in hiring decisions. So, unlike the Clinton administration, the Bush administration very quickly had to take a position on this issue. And its position was that religious groups may always engage in faith-based hiring, even if they receive federal funding.

(Much more at the link.)

Author: Jeanwa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183327 of 195084
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/8/2012 4:13 PM
Thanks for the link.

That was an interesting article.

It will be interesting to see how the Obamacare law suits end up.

Jean

Author: rev2217 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 183333 of 195084
Subject: Re: Catholic Charities, etc. Date: 10/8/2012 8:52 PM
Jean,

Currently the federal government funds a large portion of Catholic Charities funds.

That is really not correct.

Rather, Catholic Charities currently dispenses a significant amount of public assistance on behalf of the federal government. All of the federal monies dispensed in this manner must be dispensed as stipulated by federal law, and are subject to audit by the federal government.

The significant point here, however, is that Catholic Charities is not the exclusive dispenser of this assistance, but rather one of many dispensers, many of which have various affiliations and many of which are secular. Each beneficiary of this assistance may receive the assistance from the dispenser of his or her choice, whether religious or secular. Thus, the dispensation by religious charities meets the constitutional test of religious neutrality.

I don't think people realize how intertwined our government and private sectors are.

Actually, there's no excuse for ignorance. President Eisenhower explained this quite clearly with his immortal words: "Beware the military-industrial complex." Now, it has expanded into public assistance.

Norm.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement