UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (85) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745940  
Subject: Re: POL: What Does The Sentence Mean? Date: 1/22/2004 1:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
cattleman22:

<<<<{{If "reward" = "encouragement" as cattleman says, here are some reward/punishment scenarios:

You live off capital gains. Tax rate 20%

You live off dividends. Tax rate 15%

You work for a living. Tax rate 33%}}>>>

"I was thinking of completely different rewards. The rewards I that crossed my mind were ones such as Roth IRA's where that money will never be taxed again or 401k's where the money or wealth accumulates tax free until it is withdrawn."

I do not assume that Roth IRA money will never be taxed again. I fully expect that one day Roth IRAs will be treated like non-deductible traditional IRA. In addition, if all those who argue for a national consumation tax to replace the income tax, then any Roth IRA money withdrawn and spend will be taxed under that sceanrio.

"My perception was that Daschle wanted to get rid of these vehicles which reward wealth accumulation."

We are back to your perception, rather than what he said, but I wonder if you have (or have seen) any data to support the idea that those accounts encourage a net increase in savings. Data I seen some time ago, and do not have handy so do not bother asking for citation, suggest that they have minimal impact on total savings but just change the form of savings that would have otherwise been made.

'If saving is not to be rewarded or encouraged, Daschle would not want to encourage or reward people to save up an emergency fund. because even $1000 in an emergency fund is "wealth accumulation."'

And if your starting proposition is off, then your conclusion does not follow. The actual statement was a comparative statement, not an absolute statement.

JAFO
(posted before reading entire thread)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (85) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement