No. of Recommendations: 1
CBS Evening news is reporting that a criminal investigation has been opened regarding the oil train wreck in Canada.

The earlier fire on the train, and one eyewitness account that the train was burning before it derailed has had me wondering.

Steve

*disgruntaled workers throwing their wooden "sabot" into machinery became known as "sabotage".

Steve

I suspect you won't be surprised that the US news sometimes does a rather cursory reporting job while exaggerating small interesting areas.

A Sabot is also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot

A sabot /'sæbo?/ is a device used in a firearm or cannon to fire a projectile, such as a bullet, that is smaller than the bore diameter, or which must be held in a precise position.

The company insists that the brakes were tampered with so there is no choice about calling for a criminal investigation, they probably would have done one anyway.

The company would certainly have a vested interesting in finding "sabotage" but at least so far there is no evidence suggesting that nor do they say that. The evidence is pointing more to a combination of factors as well as a possible procedural error by the company employee. I personally can't imagine that there should be only those air brakes holding the train in place, especially on such a steep grade.

Frankly I think the company is trying to toss the blame on the fire fighters who put out the engine fire then were cleared to leave by the company. I also think it is not going to work as it would be the company's responsibility to secure the train.

Any <momentary lapses in judgment became irreparable mistakes> mouse

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/company-centre-lac-...

Company at centre of Lac-Megantic disaster says train was tampered with

By Matthew Coutts | Daily Brew – 20 hours ago

For the company being faced with the toughest of questions, however, that narrative is very simple – it's someone else's fault. Ed Burkhardt, chairman of Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway, says he has no doubt someone tampered with the train before it broke free and began rolling toward town.

“We have evidence of this,” he told the Montreal Gazette. “But this is an item that needs further investigation. We need to talk to some people we believe to have knowledge of this.”

Burkhardt told the Gazette that the company had followed standard operating rules when it came to securing the train. He added he didn't think the train was tampered with maliciously, but something happened that compromised its braking system.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement