UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744526  
Subject: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:22 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Wow....the big cold front moved through last night....some rain, some thunder...was near 70 and the temp plummeted to 32 overnight.

The roofs have a teeny big of snow and same on some of the grass.....just a dusting...wind blowing 20 mph from the north....bitter
cold but at least the sun is out....might get up to'near 40' today.

Definitely a 'winter day'.

Went out to Denny's for Sunday breakfast with the 2 inch thick Dallas paper. Had the $4 Value Slam and $1 AARP coffee....with tax, $5.41...plus of course nice tip for the waitresses who make sure that things are ordered quickly and keep the coffee cup refilled.

Then to the Walmart to buy a couple bananas, one avacado, four roma tomatoes, 3 apples, one 1/2 gal of OJ, one loaf bread, some precooked chicken breasts, cut up, package of baby spinach, package of blue berries , about a pound of grapes, bag of tortilla chips.......have enough of other staples. I usually shop on Sundays and Wednesdays.....

Then home...still only 32 deg outside at 9am. brrrr.....and it's really cold up north.....single digits......

Good day for football and goofing off and reading.

t.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666184 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 12:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Do you have "warmth envy?"

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666190 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 12:31 PM
Recommendations: 3
MissEdith:"Do you have "warmth envy?" "

No, I have cold aversion. Just like I have aversion to paying unnecessary taxes by managing my taxable income to secure the lowest tax rates.

I'd just rather have 'normal average' weather which is 55-60 deg high and sunny this time of year rather than no warmer than 40 today with 20 mph north wind making it bitter cold outside. Heck, there was a dusting of snow last night.

I'd rather not be paying for lots of heating....and have the pool pump running as it kicks on under 40 deg to keep the pool from freezing.

Now, as a lib, you probably do have 'warmth envy' along with your 'wealth envy'. You libs never seem to be content with what you have.

t.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666192 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 1:39 PM
You libs never seem to be content with what you have.

Plus they are not content that we are content to keep what we have.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666203 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 3:58 PM
"Then to the Walmart to buy a couple bananas, one avacado, four roma tomatoes, 3 apples, one 1/2 gal of OJ, one loaf bread, some precooked chicken breasts, cut up, package of baby spinach, package of blue berries , about a pound of grapes, bag of tortilla chips.......have enough of other staples." - tele
----------------

Hey Tele, sometime you should check out Aldi's. It's a German owned company. It's a great store and they got great prices on fresh vegetables and fruits. You put a quarter in to get your cart but then at the end you return your cart and you get your quarter back. It's one of the ways they use to keep the price of their food stuffs cheap.

I checked Aldi's website and they got two in Plano, Texas. One on "K" avenue and one on "Coit" road.

http://aldi.us/us/html/service/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm

art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666205 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 4:04 PM
""Do you have "warmth envy?" - Edith

Yeah, I got that too. I got wealth envy and warmth envy. I'm envious of people with huge amounts of money and people who live in Florida. I'm also envious of people who can afford to buy a Prius and people who own Toyota Rav4s.

And oh yeah, people who can afford to take vacations to Key West, Florida in the Wintertime.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666207 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 4:11 PM
"Now, as a lib, you probably do have 'warmth envy' along with your 'wealth envy'. You libs never seem to be content with what you have." - tele

Yeah, that pretty much describes me. I've got warmth envy and wealth envy.

I want to win a big pile of cash in the lottery and then use it to buy a big fancy house down in Vero Beach, Florida.

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666209 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 4:22 PM
looks like another 2 miles south of the Walmart...might have to check it out. I'll remember to bring a quarter!

t.

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666219 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 5:29 PM
Minus -22 degrees across the Wasatch front in Utah this morning.

Left window icing up... on the inside.

Author: MissEdithKeeler Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666228 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 6:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
You libs never seem to be content with what you have.

Sigh. And you apparently lack much of a sense of humor.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666231 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 6:17 PM
"The roofs have a teeny big of snow and same on some of the grass.....just a dusting...wind blowing 20 mph from the north....bitter
cold but at least the sun is out....might get up to'near 40' today.

Definitely a 'winter day'. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is in the 70s here in Greenville,SC.

A little spot of rain here and there.

Howie52
I remember the cold.
I feel for y'all.
Really.

I suggest mittens.

No, not a cat - they scratch too much trying to put them on.

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666236 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 6:22 PM
I got wealth envy and warmth envy. I'm envious of people with huge amounts of money and people who live in Florida. I'm also envious of people who can afford to buy a Prius and people who own Toyota Rav4s.

I have to agree on warmth envy, but not the wealth part. Those who have piles and piles of money have more to lose than us middle classers. I was going to buy a RAV4 a couple of years ago, but the seats weren't comfortable. Never tried a Prius, but they're good looking cars. My latest wannahave is a Kia Soul. They're cute, but I bet the seats are even smaller than the RAV. I'm talking leg support, not the hiney part. My sis has a '95 RAV and she loves it to pieces - not to mention she's two inches shorter than I am.

I'm pretty happy where we are, financially speaking. We can pay our bills, set aside money in savings and still have some left over before the next influx of cash. Simplicity in life is the best of all worlds, truly.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666237 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 6:25 PM
Recommendations: 4
Sigh. And you apparently lack much of a sense of humor.

You're like the grade school bully who pokes, punches and prods and then when challenged by a bigger smarter kid, says, "Buh buh buh but I was just kidding!" Pfffft!

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666285 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:25 PM
"I'm pretty happy where we are, financially speaking. We can pay our bills, set aside money in savings and still have some left over before the next influx of cash. Simplicity in life is the best of all worlds, truly." - buffalogal

------------------

Ohhhh, we're not hurting for money, probably better off than most, but if I was filthy rich I could run down to Florida and buy a house at "The Villages" and one in Vero Beach and one in Key West. Oh yes I would!

I wouldn't mind seeing what it was like to be filthy rich. I'd dine on duck and lobster and canapes! (from tonight's episode of Downton Abbey)

Art, "wealth envy, warmth envy, Prius envy, and Rav4 envy."

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666287 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:29 PM
art:"Art, "wealth envy, warmth envy, Prius envy, and Rav4 envy." "

I see squirrels every day running along the top of my fence 20 feet from my windows...but I can't pop 'em. THe bullet would go right into my neighbors house 10 feet beyond the fence.

I've got 'big lot envy'...somewhere where I could put up big antennas...lots of them on tall towers....shoot my guns in the back yard.....not have a barking dog within 2 miles.....

t.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666288 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:29 PM
Art: "wealth envy, warmth envy, Prius envy, and Rav4 envy."

It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend [or fellow American] who has prospered. ~Aeschylus

Libruls simply can't accept that someone else is better off than them. They feel compelled to re-distribute wealth.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666291 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:35 PM
"I've got 'big lot envy'...somewhere where I could put up big antennas...lots of them on tall towers....shoot my guns in the back yard.....not have a barking dog within 2 miles." tele

You could buy a big lot on Tiger Hill behind our house and put up antennae to your hearts content up there. There is all ready a big water tower up there and some cell phone towers. My BIL owns a house about 3/4's the way up the hill and has lived there for like 20 years.

Or you could move to Union County and buy all the land you want and put up any damn thing you want. It is Union County after all. Hell you could set up a moonshine still and make bootleg whiskey if you wanted to in Southern Appalachia.

And oh yeah, shoot your guns any damn time you please. This is Tennessee after all.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666292 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:36 PM
"Libruls simply can't accept that someone else is better off than them. They feel compelled to re-distribute wealth." - catherine

I don't want to redistribute wealth I just want to win the damn lottery!" - Art

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666294 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:40 PM

Now that sounds like a liberal. They don't want to work for something, they want to get rich quick (all the while calling people who actually earn their wealth by working evil and greedy), and doesn't want to redistribute HIS wealth, but someone else's.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666295 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 10:46 PM

Art, just to be a little pedantic, but honest.

Never, not once, can I remember hearing envy from you toward anyone.

Envy carries a resentment aspect, you have a nice sane covet for stuff, but not for your neighbors stuff. Just for the same stuff your neighbor has.

There may be some biblical problem with that, but the stuff we normally pontificate about is coveting thy neighbors stuff.

Sorry Art, you are going to have to work on a different vice if you are going to get on lindytoe's bandwagon, wealth envy just won't do it IMO

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666300 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 11:25 PM
Art wrote: I don't want to redistribute wealth I just want to win the damn lottery!

You'd be declared evil by a librul because you didn't do a damn thing to get that money!

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666302 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 11:44 PM
--------------------------
"Now that sounds like a liberal. They don't want to work for something, they want to get rich quick (all the while calling people who actually earn their wealth by working evil and greedy), and doesn't want to redistribute HIS wealth, but someone else's." - Josh

----------------------------

Man Josh, it's amazing how much you know about me! It's a good thing you wrote the book on how a liberal is supposed to think and feel!

Good for you! Lump us all together. Makes it easier to hate us. <grin!>

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666303 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/13/2013 11:52 PM
"Sorry Art, you are going to have to work on a different vice if you are going to get on lindytoe's bandwagon, wealth envy just won't do it IMO." - lowstudent

----------------------

No need to worry Lowstudent. There are a whole bunch of causes that my sisters worry about that are not on my list of things that ever cross my mind, guns, global warming, offshore drilling, artic drilling, genetic engineered food, and God knows what else.

I will admit to having wealth envy but I wouldn't really call my self a "redistrubtionist". I'm more of a "I want to join the club and hang out with those wealthy suckers!"

Now you want to hear something funny? The Villages, Florida is pretty much run by the Tea Party.... and I want to live there! I think it would be a hoot! I would love to live there!

The VILLAGES Fl - Town of Custom Golf Carts 5-22-11 CBS Sunday Morning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQvom4x5MD0

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666304 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 12:01 AM
"You'd be declared evil by a librul because you didn't do a damn thing to get that money!" - catherine

-----------------

I'm a little bit of both. Evil and good. I'm a grouch when I wake up in the morning because of my achey hips and back. By mid morning or noon I'm usually feeling better though and so I'm less grouchy then.

I'm not very nice to rodents.

Art

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666328 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 7:06 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing what it was like to be filthy rich. I'd dine on duck and lobster and canapes! (from tonight's episode of Downton Abbey)

They're broke due to a bad railroad investment. They're silly, supercilious people completely out of touch with the real world. Were it not for Matthew and his relationship with Lavinia... I won't spoil the rest for those who haven't seen the new second episode. I'd hate to be one of those people. Let me gloat a bit over our assets in the real world and be comfy in my little home.

We'd be in Florida today if I hadn't gotten so sick right after Christmas. I was emailing back and forth with a girlfriend about being there and she couldn't understand it. She's friends with another couple who just left for Florida and wondered what the attraction was. GF and her hubby were going on a trip to China but it got cancelled. After asking me what there was to do in Florida and some back and forth between us, I get an email saying she and her husband will be making a road trip down there. Oh, good grief! After challenging me on what there is to do as if there's nothing, I get this bit of news. The other friends own a condo, but she and her DH are not visiting them. I'll bet you dollars to donuts they'll look at condos while they're there wherever they decide to go. They love owning real estate and have made good money from that enterprise. I think I'll have the last laugh. Not that it's necessary, but from defending my position on sun, warmth, palm trees, etc., well, it's live and learn time for them.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666330 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 8:21 AM
Now you want to hear something funny? The Villages, Florida is pretty much run by the Tea Party.... and I want to live there! I think it would be a hoot! I would love to live there!

Bunch of folks when they get really mad, dress in vintage clothes write up a couple of signs and go hang out together? Probably make a couple of sandwiches, bring a jug of iced tea -- except for all the noise, a Tea Party meeting sounds like something you would enjoy.

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666331 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 8:37 AM
Artie, how could anyone hate you? I just hate liberalism. It's a severe mental disease and those that practice it effects others in a bad way. Everyone should do all that they can to surgically destroy it. It's much, much worse than a flu epidemic similar to the plague.

Wearin' my liberalism surgical mask on my face with a scalpel in my hand.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666343 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 10:52 AM
"After asking me what there was to do in Florida and some back and forth between us, I get an email saying she and her husband will be making a road trip down there. Oh, good grief! After challenging me on what there is to do as if there's nothing, I get this bit of news. The other friends own a condo, but she and her DH are not visiting them. I'll bet you dollars to donuts they'll look at condos while they're there wherever they decide to go. They love owning real estate and have made good money from that enterprise. I think I'll have the last laugh. Not that it's necessary, but from defending my position on sun, warmth, palm trees, etc., well, it's live and learn time for them." - Buffalogal
---------------

We my brother and I used to live in Vero Beach, Florida a long time ago we used to go down to the pier there in Vero and use these long handled dip nets at night during high tide and shine a light and these huge shrimp use to come up and we'd dip them out of the water with the nets and take them back to the trailer we were living in and cook them and eat them. It was great fun.

My brother John caught a 7 1/4 pound flounder under the bridge at Sebastian Inlet which is about 20 miles up from Vero Beach. We took that thing back home and filleted it and dipped them in flour and fried and ate them. It was delicious.

I used to snorkel in the sand reefs off Vero and get lobsters and take them home and boil and eat them.

Coming down A1A into Vero Beach there is a sign that says "Where The Tropics Begin!" There are palm trees everywhere and a park there and the water is clear and in the Spring, like April the snorkeling right off the beach there is amazing.

About 14 miles from Vero Beach is Ft. Pierce, Florida and you can go out on Party Boats from there and fish and it is great fun and I always caught fish.

I could go on and on. We used to pick grapefruit and oranges and eat them just standing right under the trees we picked them from.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666344 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 11:00 AM
"Artie, how could anyone hate you? I just hate liberalism. It's a severe mental disease and those that practice it effects others in a bad way. Everyone should do all that they can to surgically destroy it. It's much, much worse than a flu epidemic similar to the plague. Wearin' my liberalism surgical mask on my face with a scalpel in my hand." - Josh
---------------

Josh there will always be liberalism versus conservatism, communism versus capitalism, atheist versus believers, Democrat versus Republican, etc. etc. etc. All the arguing in the world won't change that.

It's how our universe is made. It's the whole purpose of life. Trust me on this one. We are here simply to experience separation in every way, shape, and form possible to teach the soul what it means and how it feels to be separate, something it can't learn in heaven due to those overwhelming feelings of oneness and connectedness so many near death experiencers talk about.

But bottom line, all the arguing in the world isn't going to make liberals disappear. It ain't going to happen.

Art

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666373 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 12:55 PM
Art wrote: I don't want to redistribute wealth I just want to win the damn lottery!

You'd be declared evil by a librul because you didn't do a damn thing to get that money!

No he wouldn't be declared evil. Getting $10 million of other people's money for nothing is not evil.

Now if he were to come up with a wonderful new invention that cures all cancers plus the common cold while simultaneously eliminating world hunger, and on the strength of that invention found a company that ends up with a total payroll of a billion dollars a year, and he were to keep $10 million of that billion for himself, that would be evil.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666378 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 1:16 PM
No he wouldn't be declared evil [for winning the lottery]. Getting $10 million of other people's money for nothing is not evil. Now if he were to come up with a wonderful new invention that cures all cancers plus the common cold while simultaneously eliminating world hunger, and on the strength of that invention found a company that ends up with a total payroll of a billion dollars a year, and he were to keep $10 million of that billion for himself, that would be evil.

Good point!

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666393 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/14/2013 1:55 PM

They're broke due to a bad railroad investment. They're silly, supercilious people completely out of touch with the real world.

So they are really just Keeping Up Appearances?

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666659 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:17 PM
I'd just rather have 'normal average' weather which is 55-60 deg high and sunny this time of year rather than no warmer than 40 today with 20 mph north wind making it bitter cold outside. Heck, there was a dusting of snow last night.

It cannot be "bitter" cold at 40 degrees no matter how hard the wind is blowing.

The Baron Andrew, Great Lakes born and bred

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666660 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:19 PM
Yeah, I got that too. I got wealth envy and warmth envy. I'm envious of people with huge amounts of money and people who live in Florida. I'm also envious of people who can afford to buy a Prius and people who own Toyota Rav4s.

And oh yeah, people who can afford to take vacations to Key West, Florida in the Wintertime.

Art

I'm envious of people who have perfect eyesight.

The Baron Andrew

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666663 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:21 PM
It is in the 70s here in Greenville,SC.

I didn't know you lived in Greenville, Howie.

I was in Greenville only once -- back in '78 -- visited the Bob Jones University campus, believe it or not. Had dinner in their cafeteria. Most everything else on campus was closed at the time -- it was right at the end of the holidays.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666665 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:24 PM
I'm pretty happy where we are, financially speaking. We can pay our bills, set aside money in savings and still have some left over before the next influx of cash. Simplicity in life is the best of all worlds, truly.

I had tuna salad sandwiches for dinner tonight, with a dollop of cole slaw (from Walmart) on the side. How's that for simplicity?

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666670 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:26 PM
You could buy a big lot on Tiger Hill behind our house and put up antennae to your hearts content up there. There is all ready a big water tower up there and some cell phone towers. My BIL owns a house about 3/4's the way up the hill and has lived there for like 20 years.

Or you could move to Union County and buy all the land you want and put up any damn thing you want. It is Union County after all. Hell you could set up a moonshine still and make bootleg whiskey if you wanted to in Southern Appalachia.

And oh yeah, shoot your guns any damn time you please. This is Tennessee after all.

Art

Seeing as how tele considers 40-degree weather "bitter cold", I doubt he'll be moving to Tennessee anytime soon. <grin>

Author: LuckyDog2002 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666671 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:27 PM

I had tuna salad sandwiches for dinner tonight, with a dollop of cole slaw (from Walmart) on the side. How's that for simplicity?
baron von rothschild

>>>>>
so are you sick? doesn't sound like your usual restaurant fare and I know you don't fix your own food Baron.....something is up? And WalMart coleslaw, you sure are slumming tonight. :)

i better get off here, it's bad for sleep.

Night night!
LD

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666675 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:33 PM
I could go on and on. We used to pick grapefruit and oranges and eat them just standing right under the trees we picked them from.

Art

I once picked an orange off a tree in someone's yard in Port St. Lucie, Florida. There's a picture of me doing so in my collection of Facebook photos. I was about 23 years old then, was wearing a pink polo shirt, had one hand on my hip, and was looking totally gay. <grin>

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666679 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 9:43 PM
so are you sick? doesn't sound like your usual restaurant fare and I know you don't fix your own food Baron.....something is up? And WalMart coleslaw, you sure are slumming tonight. :)

No, not sick, earlier in the day I went to Popeye's up the street and had two pieces of chicken, one side (mac-n-cheese), and a biscuit. That meal is just $2.99 plus tax on Tuesdays -- it's one of my ways of saving money.

Have been staying in a little more this month when there are cold days. Next week we're only supposed to have highs in the teens. I have "warmth envy" of tele's 40-degree weather... but not enough to get me to move to Texas. <grin>

I heard Lauren Drain's new book is out -- she's the one who got banished from the Westboro Baptist Church due to "unrepentant fornication" or something like that. Her book is about her experiences with Westboro ever since her father, who was doing a documentary on them, had a "conversion" and uprooted his family and moved into the Topeka "compound" and joined... I hear her book reveals numerous "hypocrisies" on the part of the Westboro folks, can't wait to read all about it. I looked for the book at a local independent bookstore today but couldn't find it... maybe I'll just order from Amazon.

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666687 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 10:03 PM
I was about 23 years old then, was wearing a pink polo shirt, had one hand on my hip, and was looking totally gay. <grin>
----------------

I've seen the picture - he's not kidding. <g>

arrete

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666689 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 10:04 PM
Recommendations: 3
"unrepentant fornication"
--------------

Isn't that the best kind?

arrete

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666698 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/15/2013 10:38 PM
>>I'd just rather have 'normal average' weather which is 55-60 deg high and sunny this time of year rather than no warmer than 40 today with 20 mph north wind making it bitter cold outside. Heck, there was a dusting of snow last night.<<

It cannot be "bitter" cold at 40 degrees no matter how hard the wind is blowing.

The Baron Andrew, Great Lakes born and bred

----------------------

I was born in Minnesota and lived in Michigan and Ohio for six years after college. These were places with serious winters and I embraced the cold and the snow. I really did, nothing better than getting snowbound for a few days now and then.

But I have to tell you that after living in Texas for 29 years, my cold tolerance has wasted away. I'm with tele, if its forty outside and blowing that is too damn to be out in it. I worked on barn 2.0 a couple of days this week when it was in the mid forties and that is as low as I go these days.

It was in the thirties overninght here. I wore gloves this morning to grip the ice cold steering wheel until the BOT warmed up.

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666711 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/16/2013 12:07 AM
"I'm envious of people who have perfect eyesight." - The Baron Andrew

Well that puts everything into perspective for me. Sorry!

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666714 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/16/2013 12:10 AM
"I didn't know you lived in Greenville, Howie.

I was in Greenville only once -- back in '78 -- visited the Bob Jones University campus, believe it or not. Had dinner in their cafeteria. Most everything else on campus was closed at the time -- it was right at the end of the holidays." - Andrew

My wife's father preached there for a couple of years. Greenville, S.C. isn't that far from Athens, Georgia and Lake Hartwell and it's sort of in-between Athens, Georgia and Knoxville, Tennessee so I've driven through it a few times. So I sort of "know it" - although not in the biblical sense <grin!>.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666717 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/16/2013 12:13 AM
"I had tuna salad sandwiches for dinner tonight, with a dollop of cole slaw (from Walmart) on the side. How's that for simplicity?" - Andrew

I thought Tuna was a lunch thing? Isn't the whole basis of Lunch based on tuna salad?

I eat tuna salad sandwiches for lunch on Fridays sometimes because I'm nothing if not conventional. I figure I'm killing two birds with one stone when I eat tuna on Friday. It's Friday and it's fish and I'm getting a fish meal in and making the Pope happy at the same time. It's a win-win.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666719 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/16/2013 12:18 AM
"Seeing as how tele considers 40-degree weather "bitter cold", I doubt he'll be moving to Tennessee anytime soon. <grin>" - Andrew

I was just joking because I know Tele isn't ever leaving Texas. He'll be buried there. It's like me and Tennessee. I dream about moving to Florida or back to Athens, Georgia but one day they'll be carrying me out of this house feet first with my hands crossed over my chest. I ain't going nowhere.

Tele's not leaving Plano and it's convenient access to Chinese Buffets and Denney's and McDonald's and Wal-mart and Accordion and Ham Radio clubs and all the other places to eat that make up Tele's life. Tele ain't going nowhere. Tele may travel and transmit from some hilltop in Colorado but he'll always go back to Plano.

Art

Author: Art53 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666722 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/16/2013 12:26 AM
"I once picked an orange off a tree in someone's yard in Port St. Lucie, Florida. There's a picture of me doing so in my collection of Facebook photos. I was about 23 years old then, was wearing a pink polo shirt, had one hand on my hip, and was looking totally gay. <grin>" - Andrew

LOL! Andrew I don't know if you've ever been to Key West, Florida but talk about looking gay. The gayest guys I've ever seen were in Key West. Gay guys in Key West don't even try and look and talk straight. There was one guy working the register at the Publix and I swear to you he was absolutely FLAMING! Whew!

My BIL in Athens, Georgia used to work for Kinkos Copies and he got some Kinko's T-shirts and he gave me one and one time I was going to the Sunset at Mallory Pier in Key West, Florida and the Noodle Man, who was running for mayor of Key West at the time, saw my Kinkos T-shirt and he said to me "Ooooh! Kinkos! I bet you are!" It was a HOOT! Man Key West is fun!

I saw this one couple in Key West one time and this strange looking little gay guy had his flaming Asian boyfriend by the hand and they were running down the street trying to make the light and their hair was flying and they were all dressed in pink and purple shirts and tight satiny shorts and with swept back hair and that one little guy was just so obviously proud of his little Asian boyfriend. I don't believe I've ever seen a more gay thing than that in my whole life.

I'm pretty sure you'd love Key West. You don't even have to try that hard there.

Art

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666750 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/16/2013 8:01 AM

We have a soup and sandwich dinner at least once a week at home. Whatever works for you. Sounds great! Was the cole slaw sweet? Don't like that. It's only supposed to have a bit of sugar in it, but some places go overboard. I'd make my own, but it's such a mess. Shredding cabbage gets everywhere. I have a CuisineArt thing, but it's something to drag out, etc., etc. We found a place that has excellent cole claw and you can get it "take out", but it's a drive to get there and back home.

I'd get into describing simple living, but it would be paragraphs long. Art and I were talking about wealth envy. DH and I would probably be considered wealthy but maybe not. Who knows. Only we will. I have no envy at all. I admire the rich who came by their success through hard work. To degrade wealth by means of free market enterprise is to engage in a form of snobbery bred by ignorance. It's a pity that we, here, are outnumbered.

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666935 of 744526
Subject: Re: c.c.c.c ....cold in TX Date: 1/16/2013 9:54 PM
"It is in the 70s here in Greenville,SC.

I didn't know you lived in Greenville, Howie.

I was in Greenville only once -- back in '78 -- visited the Bob Jones University campus, believe it or not. Had dinner in their cafeteria. Most everything else on campus was closed at the time -- it was right at the end of the holidays. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greenville has been home for 24 years now. We moved down from Erie,PA
and Charleston,W.VA before that.

Everyplace has something attractive about it - and the trick to
happiness is to find the attractive bits and focus on those
things that promote good times.

Work is kind of the same thing - just seems more
difficult to focus.

Howie52

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (50) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement