No. of Recommendations: 1
As I said at the end of my last post, I wanted to look at ESO's from the perspective of how Chin performed the exercise on PAYX (despite his saying not to follow his lead). Just one question: is it really necessary to carry out the equation to the 30th decimal place? ;)

For 2002, we have 13.169 million shares at an average grant price of $29.8125 or $392.6 million worth of options granted (obviously, our figures would be considerably different if we used the "intrinsic value method" cost of the shares).

Reducing that figure by a 10% cancellation rate, we get Carnival receiving $353.3 million (392.6 x 0.9) when the options are exercised. Using Chin's assumption that share price will grow at the same rate as earnings, I went to MSN Money and found the estimated 5-Year Earnings Growth Rate to be 13.8%, which I used to find out how much a share would be worth 5 years from now:

$353.3 x 1.138 ^ 5 = $674.4 million (here's where I cut Chin's 30 decimal places down to 1!).

I hadn't seen that equation before for determining PE ratios, but I slapped it into my formula nonetheless and came up with:

P/E = 8.5 + 2 * 13.8 = 36.1

I then reduced the growth rate after 5 years to the industry norm of 8% and got 8.5 + 2 * 8 = 24.5

We then perform the following calculation (though I'm not sure why):
$674.4 / 36.1 * 24.5 = $457.7 million, which we then reduce by the amount employees will have to pay for their options:

$457.7 - $353.3 = $104.4 million

While Chin had PAYX's figure reduced by a tax rate of 35%, I don't do this with Carnival because almost all of its income is exempt from US federal taxes. So we take that $104.4 million and bring it back to the present:

$104.4 / 1.138 ^ 5 = $54.7

That would mean today's expense from granted stock options would equal $54.7 million. With 2001 earnings equal to $926.2 million, the current expense is nearly a 6% reduction in income (54.7 / 926.2). Moreover, it translates into a 13.9% reduction in EPS.

However we look at it, it seems while not fatal, Carnival's ESO program could have a significant effect on the company's bottom line, but only if the grants continue at or exceed the 2001 rate. I would imagine that a 0.5% total as witnessed in 2000 would have a negligible effect overall.

Rich

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement