Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121563  
Subject: Re: tax question for child Date: 3/14/2001 3:46 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
cdfunton:

The interest on the EE bonds can accumulate until the total has reached $750 and then the child files a tax return claiming all the interest from the previous years on the tax return for that year and indicating that the return is for the purpose of reporting bond interest annually. Right?

ptheland:

Not exactly. You don't accumulate interest from year to year. You look at each year one at a time. The interest from that year is reported on the child's return -- just like yours. If the interest, along with any other unearned income, is less than $750 then no tax is due on that year's return.

ira:

Actually, you can accumulate interest from year to year when you invest in EE bonds. See IRS Pub. 550 for details. This is particularly beneficial when you intend to redeem the bonds and use the proceeds for educational expenses. In this case, the accrued interest is excluded from income.

It is also possible to switch from accrual to annual recognition by recognizing all of the to-date accrued interest in the year of switch.

Thanks, Ira. I'm always learning a little bit more here - especially in areas that I don't see in my practice.

I was reading cdfunton's response as: accumulate interest until it's $750, then report it, then go back to accumulating. After looking at it again, I'm not so sure I read him/her correctly.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement