UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Elly105 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726014  
Subject: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/1/2013 11:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 81
Most of you already know about Michael's passing on January 27, 2013. I've laughed and cried my eyes out reading threads on a few boards how people feel about him and his Life on The Fool. I was lucky to have 27 years as his wife - we both got it right on the third try. Now on to the Celebration of Life party we are throwing for him on Saturday, February 23rd: It will be held at The Pacific Inn, 1160 King George Blvd. in Surrey, BC. It is just a kilo north of the US border to Washinton State, just off Hwy 99. Time: 1 to 5 pm. There will be scantily clad dancing girls, shrilly wailing mourners, juggling jesters and eulogies galore from family and friends. Anyone who can make it is welcome - we'd like to know if you are coming because we have to plan for food (and spirits), but if you drop in at the last moment that's okay too -- everyone will cheerfully make room and give you a croissant off their own plate... I heard a rumor that my nephew is setting up something called Google Hang Out plus some other feeds which will allow you to tune into the party if you are so inclined. I will post the links on this board when I get them... Write me personally if you have any questions on details...

Warmly, Elly105
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669808 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/1/2013 11:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Please accept my deepest sympathies for your loss.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669809 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/2/2013 12:20 AM
Recommendations: 0
Elly, you might find some familiar thoughts expressed in the links in this post: http://boards.fool.com/on-mortality-30518883.aspx

Best wishes to you.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669810 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/2/2013 12:57 AM
Well, it's already over but even if I'd known about it ahead of time, it would have been too far for me to travel. I wish I could have showed up for that. Please consider me present in spirit, in absentia and ex post facto. I really liked Michael a lot.

Author: flowerschild Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669811 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/2/2013 1:10 AM
Elly,

Please accept my condolences, to you and your family and friends.
May your husband live on through your memories, and may those memories fill you strength in the future.

I have experienced a bit of Cananda's beauty, and I will one day visit Surrey,BC. When I do I will be thinking of you and Michael.

flowerschild

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669812 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/2/2013 1:58 AM
Well, it's already over but even if I'd known about it ahead of time, it would have been too far for me to travel. I wish I could have showed up for that.

The memorial is being held on February 27.

Author: Elly105 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669819 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/2/2013 4:15 AM
Recommendations: 2
Well, it's already over but even if I'd known about it ahead of time, it would have been too far for me to travel. I wish I could have showed up for that.

The memorial is being held on February 27.

Hey Guys, it's February 23! I really didn't expect anyone to come but I just wanted to let you know you are welcome...
Elly

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669889 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/2/2013 6:20 PM
I am very, very saddened to hear of this.

MichealRead was always very nice to me, and even a role model as I always enjoyed reading what he'd say about things related to his personal life, and professional business life also. I think of him often actually. I always thought I'd meet him one day but alas, I'll have to wait longer for that.

Elly, condolences. I apologize but some family and health issues prevent me from traveling these days.

JediG

Author: RaplhCramden Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 669972 of 726014
Subject: Re: Celebrating the life of MichaelRead Date: 2/3/2013 1:48 PM
Recommendations: 2
Michael Read was one of a few characters who intrigued me deeply. His viewpoint was always clear and sweet and also pretty different from mine. Not different as in "I disagree with that" but different as in "I just never even would have thought of that that way."

The stories of the Marine store, and what came before were always so lively I could picture what was happening in my mind. I doubt my pictures were too accurate: most of my marine images come from Long Island and New Jersey, but they were vivid, from the Latin word for life I'm pretty sure.

I even recall following up on some things Michael wrote about by, if I recall correctly and there are no guarantees of that, reading some of Elly's stuff. As it vaguely tries to creep back in to my mind, Elly is some sort of therapist and had written a theory of relationships? Whatever.

The point of the previous paragraph, even with some stalking beyond Motley Fool, I was amazed today to read of Michael and The Evergreens. I wondered how he had managed to post so much at the fool without ever mentioning this before. Or if he did mention it, how with my interest in his writing and his life I had managed to miss this. Amazing! Possibly stuff that might have put me off Michael a little bit if I had read it earlier in my life. Maybe not. But amazing, none the less.

I will put the Evergreen's in the back pocket of my mind. Perhaps in a week or a month or a year I will think of them and download an MP3 of an Evergreen session. I have never heard Michael's voice, and before today I had never seen a picture of him.

If I could have Jonathon Livingston answer one question for me right now, it would be: is Michael now one of the "five to seven thousand?" Presuming of course that Jonathon would somehow know that answer for some reason I can certainly not think of.

Red on the right returning,
R:(

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement