Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18094  
Subject: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/16/2006 4:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I just got out of a celebration here for the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr(MKZ) product development team at FoMoCo....celebrating the Consumer Report recognition of the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr(MKZ).

Key points:

1) A recap of the CR press announcement of the new issue, where CR stated that the Fusion was *better than* Camry and Accord.

2) Al Mulally (new CEO from Boeing) recapped his meeting with President Bush yesterday. In addition to asking Mr. Bush (on the side) how he liked his Ford F-250, the President congratulated Mulally on the CR report.

3) I ate a pretty good piece of cake (let them eat cake) and have a Diet Coke for the trip home... ;)

4) If they broadcast it (doubtful, except internally), I'm the guy sitting in back with a blue shirt. ;)

Rob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sbcondor Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Mission Olympia 2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11325 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/16/2006 6:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey, that sounds great. I imagine that people around there were very happy to have something to celebrate, and that the good news was very welcome. It sounds like it should help to motivate people.

Have you had this kind of event before, or was this perhaps a snippet of leadership style coming from Mulally?

sbcondor

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11326 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/16/2006 7:18 PM
"CR stated that the Fusion was *better than* Camry and Accord."

They're only months behind MotorWeek's reportings ;-)

Congrats to Ford on getting their due Fusion props.
B

Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11327 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/16/2006 7:54 PM
Recommendations: 3
"Have you had this kind of event before, or was this perhaps a snippet of leadership style coming from Mulally?"

There is frequently some kind of celebration with the launch of a vehicle....but this is the first time I've seen something like this with TV cameras (in house) and the like. Maybe it's Mulally....maybe it's just having something to celebrate in a very dark time. :)

I mean....usually the Big Three complain about the "bias" of Consumer Reports toward the imports. Can't complain this time. ;)

I do, however, have access to a web site that explains the bias in Consumer Reports, which is a statistical problem (as you might guess):
http://www.allpar.com/cr.html

Rob
Feeling proud about my part on the F/M/M

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11328 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/16/2006 8:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thanks, Phil! Hooray for us...today.

I would like to say that Ford is not sitting still on Fusion, et al.

Model Years
2006 - Intro

2007 - AWD, 3.5L V-6, standard air curtains (6 air bags)

2008 - <ahem>...can't say. Not spectacular...but cool.

2009 and beyond - Also...can't say. Includes hybrid, includes major styling and powertrain changes to keep them fresh. I see stuff I'd like to own... ;)

Ford has finally learned that you can't toss a product out there and just let it age...because competition won't let your product age gracefully....Ford is doing stuff every year...and the quality will continue to get better. Once we make sense of our cost structure, we'll be able to make it...if we can do it before we're crippled...

Rob

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11329 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/17/2006 11:37 AM
Thanks again for sharing Rob.

FWIW Last night I visited & walked my Mom through the Fusion web pages.
Kinda less than I expected presentation wise on all the cars but hopefully thats beside the good points. Oh...as a tangent - If I never mentioned it my brother was an ad company VP (techie kinda VP) behind all the award winning Volkwagon turbonium web efforts ~5 years ago so I should get his take on the FoMoCo site (And FWIW He's looking for gigs should Ford need an experienced independent perspective/implementation expert ;-)

Back to Mom...she's not so into the grill either (exclaimed "It's too straight"). Liked the rest - reservations about the interior side to side comfort (she finds the last model Taurus too hard (plastic intrusive)). Anyway I advised there's no substitute for a test drive ESPECIALLY when you're not under or before under pressure to buy.
Though I'm more likely to buy a new Mountaineer or Explorer (bass boat tow) I though the Edge looked rather cool. I'll be that lower center of gravity yet with high cab visibility would feel a lot nicer than my trusty but worn 10 yr ole Mountaineer ;-)
Cheers & TGIF!
B

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11330 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/17/2006 11:49 AM
Hey, it's individual preferences. Personally, I prefer the Milan to the Fusion (partly because I prefer the rear end treatment).

For the Edge, be sure to check out the Big MoonRoof (which internally was referred to as the BAMR) ;)

For towing a bass boat, the Edge would probably do, although towing capacity there is nowhere near the Explorer level. I'd be afraid to tow anything with my wife's Explorer though....220,000 miles....I don't want to push it. I'm just happy it keeps running.....

Rob
(btw, I don't like the Ford website either...very annoying...)

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11331 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/17/2006 12:14 PM
"Hey, it's individual preferences. Personally, I prefer the Milan to the Fusion (partly because I prefer the rear end treatment)."

I agree and the car's not bad either (kidding aside that tall brunet model sure is purrty ;-)
But seriously the Milan is classy looking IMO and for once I find the front end also attractive. So, has anyone ever said they like the Fusion's grill or proportions of chrome/brightwork to the face or 3/4 view? Just wondering....and it does seem odd that the ford badged verison migh be a more ecclectic look than the Merc.

"For the Edge, be sure to check out the Big MoonRoof (which internally was referred to as the BAMR) ;)"

I like the acronym! And it's true...I really liked the moon roof(s). Yea, that appeals (My comparatively boxy Mountineer has factory moon roof so it's a feature I like).

"For towing a bass boat, the Edge would probably do, although towing capacity there is nowhere near the Explorer level."

Yea, I'm not so sure bout the Edge for that - the boat is only 17' but it's fiberglass and even the Mountaineers GT40-iron-headed 5.0L still makes for a LOT of lane merging planning & sweating (NewEngland/Boston you need every advantage you can get against the maniacs). Guess I'd have to give the torque specs a 2nd look - I suspect the Exp/Mountaineer 4.2 V8 a little more compelling (albeit with mpg tradeoffs - though I don't drive much).
Cheers,
B

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11332 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/17/2006 12:16 PM
Woops - meant 4.6L V8 (brain cramp)
B

Author: PHOINIX20 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11333 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/18/2006 12:33 AM

To tell you the truth I do not know anything about
Fusion/Milan/Zephyr and for that matter American
cars I gave up on them thirty years ago, I drive
a BMW but this summer I was in Europe again and
I rented for a month a Ford/Focus, standard shift;
Let me tell you, I found it to be a hell of a good
car in terms of handling, economy,looks and quite
roomy. Far better than most cars in its class that
I have rented over the years in Europe.

If Ford focus comes with the proper warranty I would not
mind getting one in America.

PHOINIX20
The Eternal Bird

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11334 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/18/2006 8:32 AM
I would suggest holding off on the U.S. Focus, which is the older generation vehicle. Europe has the new generation that the U.S. took a pass on due to....well, stupidity.

Ford is in the process of aligning it's world product development and manufacturing to bring world class products to every market, but it's taking a long time (due to...former stupidity). This effort will eliminate redundancies of all kinds as well as other inefficiencies, leaving Ford as quite a force to be reckoned with.....if they're not too weak by then.

Rob

Author: crpurdum Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11335 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/18/2006 10:02 AM
Yea----well----I prefer anything Mercury------because of the gal they use in their ads! Wow!!!!!

crpurdum

Author: PHOINIX20 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11336 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/20/2006 5:23 PM
Yea----well----I prefer anything Mercury------because of the gal they use in their ads! Wow!!!!!

crpurdum

How about a photo? Thanks!

PHOINIX20
The Eternal Bird

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11337 of 18094
Subject: Re: Celebration @ Ford Date: 11/20/2006 6:55 PM
Recommendations: 2
"How about a photo?"

IMO the answers to all such quieries still remains the same:
google

A 2 second Google effort yielded this:
"Who's That Girl In The Black Mercury Milan?"http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=22100
or better yet:
http://imdb.com/gallery/hh/1489978/HH/1489978/iid_922844.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Wagner,%20Jill
But then there's this:
"JILL WAGNER, THE MERCURY GIRL"
http://www.populationstatistic.com/archives/2005/10/16/jill-wagner-the-mercury-girl/
links within that too - holy smokes (and watchout for the rique commentary by the knuckleheads weighing in - not boss/family friendly)

Yup, best Ford Brand Spokes model/promoter ever
(LOL...sorry Carol Shelby ;-)

Enjoy
B

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement