UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: WasPokey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886544  
Subject: Cell phone rates Date: 4/4/2002 4:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I have a cell phone that I disconnected to save on bills. Now I'm thinking of using it again. Only problem is a lot of the really cheap plans are only cheap because you have to buy the phone from the company offering the plan!

Does anyone know of any low priced cell phone plans I can get without having to buy a new phone.

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: crobinso Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 261728 of 886544
Subject: Re: Cell phone rates Date: 4/4/2002 4:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sure! Just call your cell phone provider, tell them you want a new plan, and that you have an older phone. I just did this last month, no probs!

Charles

Author: WasPokey Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 261734 of 886544
Subject: Re: Cell phone rates Date: 4/4/2002 4:45 PM
How does that ensure that I'm getting a good deal?

I can't get back on my old plan which was relatively cheap because it was one of those friends and family deals that was through my ex-husband's work.

Author: paulfife One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 261786 of 886544
Subject: Re: Cell phone rates Date: 4/4/2002 6:39 PM
There seem to be lots of plans on which they practically give you a phone to commit to a year. Surely there must be one or two of those in your area? Shop around - those deals usually are only in the stores and not on the internet.

Author: kwheless Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 261928 of 886544
Subject: Re: Cell phone rates Date: 4/5/2002 9:46 AM
Recommendations: 2
If you only want a cell phone for emergencies, check out
http://www.emergencycellphones.com
They will convert many existing phones into ones that can be used for credit card calls. (All cell phones will call 911, but the availability of credit card calls depends on the whim of your local provider).

Another possibility is http://www.ecallplus.com which is a repackaging of the AT&T prepaid service, with minutes good for 90 days (AT&T changed to 45 days a few months ago). I haven't used this service yet, but it was recommended to me. If you click on "starter kit" there is a list of compatible cell phones.

Neither of these is a good deal if you want to use a lot of minutes, but if you want a low-use phone, they might work.

I'm in the same situation, when I signed up with AT&T, I not only got a phone, I bought an extra charger, second battery, car charger, etc. which were all very convenient. If I go to another service, I would have to buy all these things again, even if the phone was free. That really annoys me, although I might be able to sell the stuff on ebay it's a huge waste. So I was happy to find options to keep my existing cell phone and still get service.

Karen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement