Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: warelf Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 168329  
Subject: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 1:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 376
I can not believe that my post (#6913) about the guy reducing his 25" penis to nothing by asking a frog to marry him has been pulled.

Some extreme prude must have reported this post. What is offensive about the word penis? It comes as standard equipment for 50% of the population, is an anatomically correct description and is in the Oxford and Webster's dictionary. The joke contained no profanity.

Over 40 people recced this joke & it took one very sick person to have it removed. You know who you are. There are far racier jokes on this board so I suggest that you don't open anymore.

I am surpprised at the TMF censors for acquiescing to your whim.

If you are against censorship of this sort please rec this post

A totally stunned
warelf
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BAMartin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6994 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
That was a great joke, as shown by the number of rec's that it received. i am shock and saddened by the fact that it was pulled. I guess that I will have to be more careful what I post as well. Would hate to become known as a trouble maker.

Barbara

Author: marimba Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6995 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 1:35 PM
Recommendations: 6
I don't think it's the word "penis" that got it yanked, I think it was the excessively contrived premise leading to up to a lame punchline.

Author: navy58 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6997 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 2:37 PM
Recommendations: 7
I believe John Bobbit reported you, he was offended by your poking fun at peckerlessness (is that a word?)

Author: warelf Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6998 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 2:59 PM
Recommendations: 21
Dear Carlton,

Thank-you for your sarcasm. Here are the links to your recent contributions to this board

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15387311
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15374546
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15344566
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15343960
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15323703
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15308597
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15308443
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15303571
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15292251
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15262937
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15249989

May be you should consider posting some jokes for us all to enjoy

warelf

Author: LennieKR Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7008 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 5:15 PM
Recommendations: 3
Oh, and please, please - don't anyone tell me it's been posted before - sob!

Lennie

Author: LemLaurence Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7009 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 5:15 PM

Hi warelf,

Author: LemLaurence Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7010 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 5:21 PM

Hi warelf,

I don't know what button I pushed but the above link was a mistake. Here's the rest of the story:

I have had 11 posts pulled this year alone. I was even banned from both the US Fool and the UK Fool for a joke posted on the Jokers Corner in the UK board. It took a genuine apology to get back on the board.

I once posted this on the LBYM board and it was pulled: Is a smoking section in a restaurant the same as a peeing section in a swimming pool?

This made it through this board, but not the LBYM board. I was asked by one reader who e-mailed me from the UK that his son reads these jokes and he wishes I would take my smut back to the US

I guess someone just decided that he/she didn't like that excellent joke about the 25" penis. DO YOU THINK IT WAS PENIS ENVY????

LemLaurence

Author: Pepylepue Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7011 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 7:29 PM
Recommendations: 4
I guess someone just decided that he/she didn't like that excellent joke about the 25" penis. DO YOU THINK IT WAS PENIS ENVY????

Man, it could be anything. I've even heard of cats that have pussy envy.

Author: ZooKeeper091354 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7019 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 11:28 PM
Recommendations: 5
warelf wrote: I can not believe that my post (#6913) about the guy reducing his 25" penis to nothing by asking a frog to marry him has been pulled.

I liked that post, I thought it was very funny!!!

Author: zman49 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7021 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/17/2001 11:46 PM
Recommendations: 4
warelf,

I saw your post before it was pulled. If I were in charge I don't think think I would have pulled it, but I might have. I do not believe it was any word withing the post per se, but jokes about genetalia are generally not the kind of thing most people would tell in a public place. This is a public forum, even if we never meet face to face.

I am glad I do not have to decide which posts to pull, but I am most certainly glad someone at the Fool HQ moderates these boards. Just spend a little time going through a few of the Yahoo boards when almost anything is tolerated and I think you will find returning to the Fools' boards a relief.

Good Luck,
Z

Author: Crunch5725 Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7030 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/18/2001 7:03 AM
Recommendations: 1
Well I thought it was funny. I very nearly posted a link on the UK jokers board so that UK Fools could enjoy it too.

Maybe it was just a bit too close to the bone?

Crunch

Author: robertott Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7080 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/18/2001 3:27 PM
Recommendations: 6
"I believe John Bobbit reported you, he was offended by your poking fun at peckerlessness..."

Actually, I read recently that he changed his name to Les Johnson.

robertott

Author: ZooKeeper091354 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7085 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/18/2001 7:31 PM
Recommendations: 0
warelf,

That (censorship) is why if I see a joke that I even think might be pulled by the MF Board Petrol (gustopo), I save it to a floppy disk. Unfortunately, I thought that post #6913 was so tame that it would not be pulled - WRONG! As a result, I do not have than one on disk.

Kahuna,CFA

Kahuna,
I copy and save my favorites as I go along. My memory is so short I couldn't rely on it! So if you'd like me to E it to you just let me know! My E is zookeeper091354@yahoo.com.
Zoo

Author: Somewhere Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7126 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/19/2001 1:02 PM
Recommendations: 9
While I don't believe your joke was particularly inflammatory, I could care less if it was pulled. But what does irritate me are inflammatory posts such as this one decrying the state of censorship as if it was a problem when it's not.

One, the folks who run the Motley Fool have the right to pull any post they deem inappropriate. Apparently, yours fell into that category. GET OVER IT. So what if they pulled the joke? It's not the end of the world. It's a friggin' joke--not the Gettysburg Address.

It seems to me you've taken the issue as a personal insult, which you should not. There are lots of issues you can fight for. However, fighting for the right to post possibly off-color jokes isn't high on my list.

What does recommending your post if we are against censorship supposed to prove? Isn't that like taking a vote and saying, for all of those who agree, please raise your hand! For all of those who don't, sorry, you don't get to vote. What kind of justice is that? You should be ashamed!

Get over it and move on. When the Fool begins to pull posts because somebody takes a different opinion than them on a stock or company, or pulls posts like your censorship post because it's "challenging" them, then I might get up in arms about censorship. But because they pulled what some people might consider an off-color joke? Please, get on with your life.

-- Ryan

Author: warelf Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7158 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/20/2001 12:31 AM
Recommendations: 11
Ryan,
For someone advising me to "Get over it" and "Get on with my life" you spent an inordinate amount of time ranting and flaming me.

I would suggest that you take a valium and sign up for an anger management course if my post induced you to rant for a full page

Regards
warelf

Author: Somewhere Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7188 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/20/2001 12:38 PM
For someone advising me to "Get over it" and "Get on with my life" you spent an inordinate amount of time ranting and flaming me. I would suggest that you take a valium and sign up for an anger management course if my post induced you to rant for a full page

Resorting to insults only hurts your credibility, not mine. I did not realize a single page of differing opinions amounted to an "inordinate" amount of time. My time is valuable, and next time I'll try to keep my ranting to a half page.

Just a thought, but perhaps you should also take your own advice. Your "ranting and flaming" an anonymous person for tagging your slightly off-color humor doesn't exactly build my confidence in you either, and an anger management course might do you well.

-- Ryan

Author: lightnup One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7190 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/20/2001 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 10
are too!
am not!
are too!
am not!
are too!
am not!
are too!
am not!
Mommmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Author: Cassandre Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7258 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/23/2001 6:31 AM
WHAT DI YOU SAY..

Author: Cassandre Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7261 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 7/23/2001 6:48 AM

are too!
am not!
are too!
am not!
are too!
am not!
are too!
am not!
Mommmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

ARE TOO!!
DAAADDDDDDEEEEE!!!!!

add significant sniffling, crying and wineing for better reading comprehension

Author: Minifig Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 40428 of 168329
Subject: Re: Censorship Date: 10/18/2003 12:39 PM
I sorted HURL by number of recs.
I thought I would get some good jokes that way.
The most recommended post, and the one I'm replying to, is a tirade about censorship.
I was about to FA it to get the TMF staff's opinion on this subject, when I remembered that HURL is also about Urban Legends.
I checked out Snopes, and just as I thought, post #6913 was actually a lame joke about the difference between petunias and pansies. The author alerted the Fool, who pulled it, and then made up a tirade to ride the wave.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/tmf6913.asp

Cib (fact checker)

P.S. http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19512546

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement