Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Found a Centepede Arcade Game on the curb with no screen in it.
the graphics on the side looked cool and were in good shape.

Inside I found all the repair and user manuals in good condition, and even a quarter in the coin box!

I set it out on my drive one Saturday and got $10 for it!

SCORE!

slakk
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I set it out on my drive one Saturday and got $10 for it!

SCORE!

Ayup! It seems garage and yard sales are a way to riches. My wife sold a bunch of donated goods for her church this weekend and took in over $850 in cash.

It seems rummage sales at the church have a limited clientele (limited to the parishioners and church neighbors) but by holding yard and garage sales they can sell donated merchandise all over town. Local law requires a permit (fee) if you hold more than two sales at your home in a year, but that's no obstacle when you've got dozens of parishioners willing to hold sales.

As people are foreclosed out of their homes; look to see more high quality "junk" being left behind on the curb as they move out.
No. of Recommendations: 1
yep--
the city i live in has a "law" where you need a permit and can have only 2 garage sales a year.

I live on a busy street and will just put out one item and see if anyone bites.

I plan on having a big GS in July
I disagree on the limited clientele for church sales. They offer some of the best deals, plus they are inside (ie, can go in the rain!), huge selections, and on the last, at least around here, invariably have $1/bag (or sometimes as much $3/bag) deals. I try to hit every church sale I can.

Selphiras
I disagree on the limited clientele for church sales.

Well I suppose the Baptists could show up at the Catholic's rummage sale and vice-versa, but that would be kind'a like Episcopalians buying baptismal font water from Lutherans -- doesn't keep the money in the "family" if you know what I mean. But generally I'd expect the clientele of church rummage sale to be, more or less, limited to the parishioners and maybe people in the church's neighborhood who, like you, have come to realize what a bargain such sales can be.

Parishioners can only buy so much, but there's another whole market out there of garage and yard sale aficionados who may not attend that church, or indeed any church, at all. By having parishioners hold yard and garage sales all around town the church offers a whole new group of people a chance to give the church money.

Speaking as a retired businessman I can tell you that's one of the main reasons for businesses opening more than one location.
whats this have to do with me makin ten bucks on the side of the road with a broken arcade game?!

:-P
whats this have to do with me makin ten bucks on the side of the road with a broken arcade game?!

Good question.

The answer is: not much.
Advertisement