Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Certainly the pay-per-use and enterprise support agreements can be said to provide a revenue stream, but after the associated costs, it isn't really a source of income (profit). Many product design goals include reduction in support call volume over the previous version as one of the measures of success.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I did not intend to say that MSFT makes profits from this, but it does help offset the cost of support personnel.

Just answering a single no-charge support call costs at least $50.

Excuse me, but industry wide (and I know, I worked in support), the numbers are far lower. An average support call takes 30-40 minutes. Even allowing that MSFT calls take twice that, are you seriously implying that MSFT support personnel are making at least $50/hr? Besides which, no-charge are only during business hours. I assume that this is West Coast 8AM to 5PM For people on the East Coast, that means 11AM to 8PM. Most people work until 5PM, then take an hour to get home (in urban areas. Your mileage may vary.). That gives them one or two hours to greet the family, eat come dinner, then call MSFT and get a problem resolved before they begin getting charged.

All this is why I will never call MSFT for support. The one time I did, I knew far more than the support tech (whose "solution" was to reboot, run a scandisk and defrag, then reboot again). When this did not work (I did this just to show him it wouldn't fix the problem (a kernel error)), he directed me to support for which I would have to pay!

MSFT's support is as buggy as their software. And MSFT knows it. They would be clobbered if they waited to ship a better product. They would lose market share, because other companies with better products are out there, but they are eclipsed by MSFT's "NEW! SHINY! BUY!" mentality. The products aren't better, just more bloated and newer.

Rogue
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement