UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: danzou Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 906  
Subject: CFA or more reading Date: 7/30/2010 11:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey you guys!
I'm currently a junior majoring in finance, in China. I love my life in college, except for those dumbest courses I have to take (hint: if you wanna make someone hate something, just send him to a Chinese university and let him take the courses about it). I love economics, especially investing though, hence my days in college, so far, turned out to be a two year of home schooling, or should i say library-schooling. I really enjoy, and at the same time learnt quiet a lot (esp. from works of Ben Graham, Robert Shiller and Nassim Taleb, I found them amazing), through all the readings i've done.
But thing is, I found almost all the friends around had started doing at least one certain kind of exam now: 25 of 33 students in my class are rumpling their brains doing the SOA exam, the others doing CFA or FRM. Being the only one who immersed in books and did not take any test makes me feel like an alien.
I know CFA is an authentic and beneficial certificate, and I know it's hard for you to understand my problem but if you've ever had experience in Chinese college education you will know why i have to do self schooling to actually learn SOMETHING.
I am planning to apply for graduate school in U.S., and I've taken my TOEFL and GRE. Now should I do CFA, like everyone else in my class does, or continue the readings and doing internship?

Thank you for your patience, it was quite a babble
looking forward to your precious advices

-Dan, a far Fool from the East
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Syvarris Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 898 of 906
Subject: Re: CFA or more reading Date: 8/30/2010 1:18 PM
Dan,

I don't have any answers for you, only more questions. I'm also trying to figure out if I should go for CFA. I'm currently doing software development, but want to get into stock analysis. It would be nice to find a company to work for that would pay for the CFA.

Syvarris

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 899 of 906
Subject: Re: CFA or more reading Date: 9/2/2010 11:27 AM
Does your compay that you presently work for have a pension fund management office or is that handled by the Finance Department or the Board of Directors? Perhaps working on investment applications for the Finance Department could be a path you should seek?

In order to sit for the CFA Examinations it is necessary to first be involved in Finance or investments in some way. See for example the CFA Institute web-site: http://www.CFAInstitute.org

Kahuna, CFA

Author: Syvarris Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 900 of 906
Subject: Re: CFA or more reading Date: 9/2/2010 6:07 PM
The company I work for has Fidelity manage our 401ks. I'd like to get into financial software development, like you mention. The CFA could help me towards that path.

According to the entrance requirements here
https://www.cfainstitute.org/cfaprogram/process/enter/Pages/...
you don't need to be involved in finance to begin the program. It does say that you do need 4 years relevant experience to to complete the program and get the designation.

Syvarris

Author: danzou Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 901 of 906
Subject: Re: CFA or more reading Date: 9/4/2010 8:45 PM
@ Syvarris
thank you,
I think it's a good idea you do CFA, though you are not work in the absolute realm of finance. To be effective, security analysis needs softwares, and to be a tool, softwares need finance :)

Author: danzou Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 902 of 906
Subject: Re: CFA or more reading Date: 9/4/2010 8:56 PM
@Kahuna
thank you and I have two questions

first, do you think its legitimate for college students to take CFA?

and then, I got quite vague about the nature of the certificate. Is it for scholars or practitioners? I mean, what do people take CFA for? To prove ourselves smart and authentic, so our literature could be well recognized; or to be competent in job hunting and in work?

Dan

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 903 of 906
Subject: Re: CFA or more reading Date: 9/8/2010 5:44 PM
When I started my investment carreer - 1974, it was required to have at least two years of Full-time investment experience before sitting for the CFA-I Examination. While I had part-time investment experience from 1974-1976, I could not take the CFA-I Exam until 1978. Then CFA-II in 1979 and the final Exam in 1980. My CFA Charter is less than ten- thousand.

Retired near the end of 1995 with over twenty-five years of investment experience, I do not believe that students, unless they are students in this course <http://UWASAP.org> should be able to take the CFA Examination series. While the reading and academic preparation is essential so too is the practical investment experience.

Kahuna, CFA

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement