Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
CG,

Thanks for your detailed and constructive feedback! That's exactly what we're looking for. Hope to become more educated and return the favor to a novice down the road. :)

We're still waiting on confirmation from Fidelity that we can take annual distributions from the 401K rather than take one lump sum (and have a huge tax bill) or annuitize it (and receive a tiny monthly check.) Once we have that informaion, we'll be in a better decision-making position. We'd prefer to take an annual distribution rather than roll it into an IRA because that option offers us more flexibility and we won't be penalized if we withdraw money before my husband reaches age 59 1/2. We lose the penalty exemption if we roll it into an IRA, unless we take SEPP payments. When I used an online SEPP calculator a few months ago, it didn't appear that we could live on the amount that we would be able to withdraw going that route, but I'll re-visit that based upon your feedback below.

Thanks for your suggestion that we continue saving in a tax-deferred manner. That's good advice.

Thanks again for your help :) -kw
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement