UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: chair rail Date: 5/21/2011 12:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Our dining room is rather "blah" and DW wants to do something to spruce
it up a bit.  New curtains and paint are being picked, but the subject
of a chair rail has also come up.

The room itself is off the entrance foyer and very easily visible
through a large wide arch about the size of a pair of french doors.
If chair rail were to be put in - and this is where I come in - where
should it stop relative to the arch and window?

Shape of the room:
====WINDOW====
|             |
|             |
|             |
|             |  
|             |
|             |
|             K 
|             |
|            =
==TO FOYER =|

K is a door to the kitchen area; TO FOYER is the arch

There's about 2.5 ft of wall on either side of the window.           

The wall between the K door and TO FOYER is a bit odd so let me 
describe it a bit.  There is about 8" of the K wall below the "K",
then there's about a three-foot jog towards TO FOYER, then about a
one-foot jog towards TO FOYER.

Here's the kind of arch we have on the TO FOYER wall:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mfTS8xinPHk/TJF1WLurCBI/AAAAAAAAAS...

Where should the chair rail stop relative to the arch?

If I did wainscotting on the lower part of the walls, would I do the
two long walls and the window wall, but skip doing anything on the
portions of the wall near the arch?

Any other ideas for dressing up the room with some detail? It already
has crown & base molding.

BG
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4628 of 4657
Subject: Re: chair rail Date: 5/22/2011 12:12 AM
Recommendations: 1
I would run it all the way around the room, here is a picture showing a window:

http://offices-chairs.com/category/photo-of-chair-rail

For either side of the arch just end it at the arch opening, cut it flat and mount it flush with the opening.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4629 of 4657
Subject: Re: chair rail Date: 5/22/2011 10:37 AM
Recommendations: 0
Thank you for the advice -- I was wondering if anyone even used this forum any more.

But one more question....

The house is built with rounded corners so there will be some gaps at the corners. Any advice on how I should handle those?

BG

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4630 of 4657
Subject: Re: chair rail Date: 5/22/2011 11:42 PM
Some trim pieces come in plastic sections to go around curves. Otherwise hold up the pieces and see what looks like a logical stopping point. It's one of those things that seem important while you are doing it, but once it's done no one really pays attention to start and stop points.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4631 of 4657
Subject: Re: chair rail Date: 5/24/2011 1:27 AM
I'll look and see -- I hope that option doesn't limit our choices too much.

The outside corners are rounded quite a bit (about the size of a quarter) so it's definitely a non-trivial amount.

Thank you for the help.

BG

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement