Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fiatowner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8418  
Subject: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/23/2002 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Challenge 135: Make up a statistic that sounds like it just might be believable. example:

Did you realize that an average of 23 motorists die each year in the United States from picking their nose while they're driving? The deaths are the result of their finger being forcefully entered up into their brain cavity when they hit a big bump in the road.

Fiat
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dianagrammer Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6178 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/23/2002 3:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Challenge 135: Make up a statistic that sounds like it just might be believable.

"96.8% of TMF users polled stated they hate pop-up ads on the site."

Diane
- stats-r-us

Author: DuckInMyShorts Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6181 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/23/2002 4:26 PM
Recommendations: 4
"5 out of every 4 people don't understand fractions."

Duck!

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6182 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/23/2002 5:00 PM
Recommendations: 3
Every year 219,235 pounds of dog poop are deposited insisde American homes by dogs either not yet house-trained or left too long inside by their owners.

Idaho has the highest per capita household deposit of any state due to the relative popularity of larger breeds there. San Francisco has the lowest of any city, for obvious reasons.

--fleg

Author: fiatowner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6188 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/23/2002 9:09 PM
Recommendations: 0
69% of all people who have an uninvited guest named Richard living in their basement are gay.

Fiat

Author: fiatowner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6191 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/24/2002 8:17 AM
When a true or false question is posed by his spouse to the average married male in the United States, there is a 50-50 chance that he will choose the correct answer and a 90% chance he will choose the incorrect answer. This is referred to as the 50-50-90 rule.

Fiat

Author: fiatowner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6194 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/24/2002 1:35 PM
4 of every 5 persons who have or care for children still in diapers will at least one time during their lives ask themselves "Why don't they make these damn wipes flushable?" Of these 4 persons, 2 will carry the thought through to "Why don't they make these for adults" after an especially messy bowel movement whose onset occurred when that person was already running late for work and ends up using half a roll of toilet paper in a vain attempt to prevent skid marks. The 1 remaining person from the original 5 persons mentioned will experience a clogged toilet on average at least once a month while the child in diapers is in their care.

Fiat

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6195 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/24/2002 1:41 PM
9 out of 10 posts on ITF board that contained no actual suggestion were pulled yesterday.

Oh wait, we're supposed to make up a statistic.

IF

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6196 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/24/2002 1:54 PM
9 out of 10 posts on ITF board that contained no actual suggestion were pulled yesterday.
===*===

Depends on who you are ol' buddy. For you 'n me yes, for others, they can't be bothered.

Raggmopp

Author: fiatowner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6197 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/24/2002 11:33 PM
34% of the members of the Motley Fool believe that the term "Woot!" means to have an erection while visiting Great Britain.

Fiat

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6198 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/25/2002 7:51 AM
Of course I recced it.

Raggmopp

Author: fiatowner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6199 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/25/2002 9:37 AM
Right back at ya! Woot!

Fiat

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6200 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/25/2002 12:45 PM
Of course, we all know the meaning of the word "woot." It's a part of the language known as "Buckwheat-ology" and is part of a famous song:

Woot mood moo do if i'm slang out om tune, woot moo tand up mand malk mout om meef? Oh i'm bet by mit a mittle help fom my fends...Yah gomma try mit a mittle help fom my fends

Wootn't you know it, now that tune is going to be stuck in my head all day long!

Paul T.

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6201 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/25/2002 12:47 PM
Woot mood moo do if i'm slang out om tune, woot moo tand up mand malk mout om meef? Oh i'm bet by mit a mittle help fom my fends...Yah gomma try mit a mittle help fom my fends
===*===

Nurse. NURSE!

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6202 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/25/2002 10:46 PM
5 out of 10 Chinese have Cataracts.
The other 5 out of 10 have Rincoln Contirentals.

Paul T.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6203 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/25/2002 10:57 PM
In a recent survey of beer drinkers six percent said they preferred a light beer, three percent said they liked a dark beer and 91 percent said, “Who cares as long as you get blasted?”

Of this 91 percent, 17 percent said they drank beer because it made them feel good, 18 percent said that drinking beer was a way of meeting female beer drinkers, and 75 percent said they enjoyed projectile vomiting.

Of the feel good group, 45 percent said that beer is 'a social lubricant' while 55 percent said that you only rent beer and had many good discussions in the men's room. Of those drinking beer to meet members of the other sex, 33 percent said that sharing a beer with a woman was pleasurable; 66 percent said that beer is a cheap alternative to liquor as a panty dropper. Of those enjoying visiting the porcelain throne, almost 99 percent said that they enjoyed the colors.

MichaelR

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6204 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/25/2002 11:42 PM
Methinks you've been sampling the goods...

Of this 91 percent, 17 percent said they drank beer because it made them feel good, 18 percent said that drinking beer was a way of meeting female beer drinkers, and 75 percent said they enjoyed projectile vomiting.

17 + 18 + 75 = 110% (unless you allowed more than one choice <g>).

Ira

Author: fiatowner Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6205 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 12:42 AM
After the first 3 or 4 beers, numbers start to lose their significance. This is known in the scientific world as "draft drift". Therefore, for those partaking, the perception of the poll participant makes the numbers perfectly proportional. It's just that it's impossible for the partakers to say "for those partaking, the perception of the poll participant makes the numbers perfectly proportional", so the poll tallywhacker, er...tallyperson (BBBBBBEEELLLLLLLCH!!!) must assume that the (Hic!) lush knows what the heck in the wide wide world of sports is going on! Don't you get it? I mean, why do people just not (hic!) understannnn. Nobody gets to unnnnerstann anymore. Thass not how it yuse ta be in the good olll daze. (SSSPPPPlllllooooosssssh!) Sorryyy dude, mannn did i get annny on ya?

Fiat

Author: rehowes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6206 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 2:08 AM
CHESTNUT ALERT - I can't believe that nobady has done this one.

Three out of every four fools make up 75% of Fooldom.

Shocking.

Randall

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6208 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 9:05 AM
18 percent said that drinking beer was a way of meeting female beer drinkers

Ahh...but do you know what 7 out of 10 men said when asked if they knew why women have two holes instead of one?

So you can carry them home like a six-pack when they've had too much to drink

Paul T.

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6209 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 9:08 AM
99 out of 100 beer drinkers have been quoted as saying "I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me, than a full frontal labotomy

Paul T.

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6210 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 9:51 AM
Mr. R. "Say Raggmopp, know why beer goes through you so fast?"

Raggmopp "No Mr. R, why?"

Mr. R. "It ain't gotta change color."

<baddarumpbump*ching*>

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6211 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 11:28 AM
1. Skeleton walks into a bar. Says Gimme a beer and a mop.

2. Horse walks into a bar. Bartender says Why the long face?

3. A guy pounds his drink on the bar and a midget runs down to him. The guy smacks the midget in the head, and then the midget unzips, and services him. Guy sitting next to the man at the bar says "Cool, can I do it? Man says "Sure." So the guy sitting next to the man at the bar says "Cool, but don't hit me as hard as you hit the midget.

Paul T.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6212 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 1:08 PM
1. Skeleton walks into a bar. Says Gimme a beer and a mop.

2. Horse walks into a bar. Bartender says Why the long face?

3. A guy pounds his drink on the bar and a midget runs down to him. The guy smacks the midget in the head, and then the midget unzips, and services him. Guy sitting next to the man at the bar says "Cool, can I do it? Man says "Sure." So the guy sitting next to the man at the bar says "Cool, but don't hit me as hard as you hit the midget.

7% of posters who respond to a thread will post funny, albeit antique, jokes to the thread instead of sticking to the topic.

--fleg, 95% picky, the other 13% just plain ornery

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6213 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 1:24 PM
--fleg, 95% picky, the other 13% just plain ornery
===*===

Ah, an accountant.

Da Mopp

Author: tpault Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6215 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 6:46 PM
24,537,666 voters out of 50 voted for Sadaam Hussein.

Paul T.

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6216 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/26/2002 6:49 PM
24,537,666 voters out of 50 voted for Sadaam Hussein.
===*===

Expressed another way 100% of the folks who wanted to live voted for him.

Author: KYHAWKEYE Two stars, 250 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6258 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 10/31/2002 10:00 AM

In a prospective double-blinded, double-dummy, triple-thick cross-sectional cohort study performed at Boden State University's Department for Irreproducable Results, we found the following results:

1. 46% feel the main-stream press is biased,

2. 27% feel that the press should be dropped, and replaced with half-court man-to-man coverage,

3. 15% feel that it should all be permanent press, and ironing forever banned,

4. 11.9999999999% prefer small lakes and creeks over the main streams,
and finally

5. 1 person refused to answer, feeling it was idiotic to try to set our printing press up in a stream.

KY Hawkeye, Pharm.D.- Chief of Pharmaceutical Research (BlackHole Development, Inc.) and Chairman, Department for Irreproducable Results, Boden State University (BS U)

Author: coralville Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6383 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 11/18/2002 6:56 PM
Challenge 135: Make up a statistic that sounds like it just might be believable

A remarkable 99.6% of those who recommended this post are considered by their peers to be "extremely sexually attractive" (there is a 0.4% reporting error).

75.8% of those who read this post, but did not recommend it were reported by their family members to have unusually large ears.

16.2% of nonrecommenders had normal ears but unusually long hair growing from those ears.

The remaining 8.0% of nonrecommenders are invertebrates.

Author: WadaPhooliam Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6384 of 8418
Subject: Re: Challenge 135: Make up a statistic Date: 11/18/2002 8:54 PM

In a recent test, it was discovered that 99 out of 100 men who tried Camels went back to women.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (30) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement