Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71165  
Subject: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 2:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Four door, only 10K on the odometer. Little old lady car, she can't drive anymore. Have not seen/driven yet. Asking $2500 which for around here if it runs and can pass inspection is cheap. It is an automatic and I'm well aware that the '03 Focus in particular is know for its self-destruction auto tranny - usually between 70K and 80K miles. However I could drive this car 4 to 6 years and sell it for what I paid for it.

Figure the fluids all need to be changed top to bottom, the tires are probably date expired, and hoses/seals would be suspect due to the light use. I'm not saying this to talk myself or anyone else out of it - just saying I'm aware of what to consider/look for.

I don't "need" it but as a commuter car $2500 - mid 30's MPG (low 20's beating around town) sure is attractive.

Thoughts on the '03 Focus and asking price?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69629 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 8:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Run away!

(sorry couldn't resist)

I'd actually feel a little better about the car if it had 25-30k miles. 10k is EXTRAORDINARILY low mileage for a 10 year old car. What climate? Was it kept indoors? Was it driven once a week consistently? How long did it sit?

I'd be curious what issues could arise from a car sitting and being started or driven infrequently. Dry seals/gaskets being my major concern.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69630 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 8:36 AM
Moderate climate, Pacific Northwest

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69631 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 8:51 AM
That's good. Crawl around under it and make sure nothing leaking from the engine/tranny, shocks, etc. Assuming everything is clean/dry, it's a good find for the price.

But...with what's already parked in your garage, will you drive this car enough to make the carrying cost worthwhile? For me the answer would probably be no, regardless of how good a deal it is.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69632 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 9:09 AM
That's good. Crawl around under it and make sure nothing leaking from the engine/tranny, shocks, etc. Assuming everything is clean/dry, it's a good find for the price.

I recommend an inspection by a mechanic. Around here, you can get one done for about $40. I watched those TV court shows while making dinner. Almost every case where someone got a lemon for a car, it was due to skipping an inspection.

PSU

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69633 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 9:15 AM
Recommendations: 2
Thoughts on the '03 Focus and asking price?

I don't know what the options are on it but the asking price is about 1/2 of the KBB value. You could use the savings to do a lot of maintenance work like replacing all the fluids and tires like you suggested. If I didn't just get a 2004 Lexus, I'd be all over a deal like that.

PSU

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69634 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 11:05 AM
Recommendations: 1
Half price cars are either sold very quickly or they're half price for a reason.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69636 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 11:24 AM
Half price cars are either sold very quickly or they're half price for a reason.

In this case, it may be little old lady with car that just goes to church may not know the value of the car and is not internet savvy.

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69637 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 12:22 PM
Sure. It could be a fine car with many years of useful life left in it.

Little old ladies have cars too.

I remember once trading for a Buick Century that was owned by a Catholic Priest. It was maybe twelve or fifteen years old and had twenty or thirty thousand miles. Oil was changed every three months, whether the car had been driven a thousand miles in that time or not.

My point was that, in my market, such a car would be sold within 24 hours provided it were legitimate.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69639 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 1:54 PM
My point was that, in my market, such a car would be sold within 24 hours provided it were legitimate.

Sure, if the car is being actively sold. Sometimes you just get lucky where you happen to run into someone who is just starting to think about selling or can be talking into selling something that was not for sale.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69641 of 71165
Subject: Re: Chance To Buy '03 Ford Focus Date: 12/3/2012 10:44 PM
Sure, if the car is being actively sold.

Not being actively sold (no ads anywhere) just word of mouth. Car is in transit right now to our area so no one could buy/look if they wanted to. I'm first in line when it arrives next week.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement