Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband is a union tradesman and his form of retirement consists of an annuity. I have a few problems with this, namely (1) the contributions are not tax deductible. We have no kids, we both work and we are getting killed with taxes (even after using FOOL strategies). He contributes about $5,000 a year and this would make a BIG difference in our taxable income if we could get a tax credit for this, such as a 401(k). (2) I know annuities aren't the greatest as far as growth. They are extremely conservative, and I believe his is at least 75% bonds. YUK!!
My question: How do I get this to change?? How do I convince the Union to go 401(k)? Is there some reason why this was set up this way? If it's ignorance, I want to change it. If it has to be this way, OK.. I am looking for more info at this point, and I also want to know what kind of questions to ask and whom to ask them to.. The Union's Business agent??
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.